Amazon Webservices (AWS): Package does not contain any assembly references

Hey all,

I just started a new project with VS 2015 and found this error when trying to install AWS:

"Could not install package 'AWSSDK 2.3.52.0'. You are trying to install this package into a project that targets 'MonoAndroid,Version=v5.1', but the package does not contain any assembly references or content files that are compatible with that framework. "

I tried to create a project directly from Xamarin Studio, tried to add the AWS package and received this error:

"Could not install package 'AWSSDK 2.3.52.0'. You are trying to install this package into a project that targets 'MonoAndroid,Version=v4.4', but the package does not contain any assembly references or content files that are compatible with that framework. For more information, contact the package author."

AWS updated on 9/18/2015 but prior to that I didn't have an issue installing the package. I did update NuGet to the latest version thinking that might be the issue but unfortunately this did not fix anything.

Anyone else encounter this before? Any ideas what might be going on? Thanks in advance!

Tagged:

• mattwardmattward GBMember Xamurai

AWSSDK does not look like it supports Android projects. It does not have any assemblies compiled for MonoAndroid. There is a portable class library assembly but it seems to target a profile which looks like it is not supported by Xamarin:

portable-wpa+netcore45

So the error message seems to be correct.

• batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@mattward said:
    AWSSDK does not look like it supports Android projects. It does not have any assemblies compiled for MonoAndroid. There is a portable class library assembly but it seems to target a profile which looks like it is not supported by Xamarin:

portable-wpa+netcore45

So the error message seems to be correct.

why they are advertising all over that they are supporting xamarin and android. we have to learn this after creating an account. by the way when I install each sdks separetly like dynamodb, cognito etc. it works. what is the difference?

Originally I only looked at the AWSSDK NuGet package which does not support the Xamarin frameworks based on the assemblies it contains. I am not an expert on AWS so I am assuming this particular NuGet package is currently only supposed to be used a few project types - .NET and Windows Phone.

Looking at some of the others they do support the Xamarin frameworks. AWSSDK.CognitoIdentity, for example, which does not depend on the AWSSDK NuGet package but uses the AWSSDK.Core NuGet package. The AWSSDK.CognitoIdentity and the AWSSDK.Core NuGet packages both include assemblies for Android, iOS and have portable class libraries.

edited December 2016

Reading the information for the AWSSDK NuGet package it looks like this is the older version. The newer versions, such as the CognitoIdentity, support Xamarin.

This is the previous version 2 generation of the AWS SDK for .NET. The new version 3 of the AWS SDK for .NET uses separate packages for each service. For example Amazon S3 is in the AWSSDK.S3 package, Amazon SQS is in AWSSDK.SQS and Amazon DynamnoDB is in AWSSDK.DynamoDBv2.