Basic Win/Mac app development clarification

Forgive me for asking such a basic question. But I keep seeing "mobile" in all the marketing fluff and I want to be sure Xamarin can do what I'm thinking of on the desktop side.

I want to develop, on Windows 7, a text editor type of application. No media or heavy graphics. The editor app would be available on Window and Mac with a subset reader app maybe available on smart phones and Android. Assuming I've read the docs right, this is possible with "X".

As I understand it, I'd have MVC with all the logic in some class libraries and then develop a Win-7 interface and a Mac interface. Windows build and testing could be done on my development machine. Mac build and testing would need to be done on a network attached Mac.

Also, I'd need the "business" version and I'd have to get two platform licenses. (which is all really expensive.)

Have I got all that right?

• ChrisHonselaarChrisHonselaar NLBeta ✭✭✭

All of that is possible. Regarding licensing: you might not need the full Xamarin.Mac for what you are looking to do. Monomac is a free alternative, or you could look at one of the other free Cocoa bindings. Xamarin.Mac adds additional framework/kit bindings and built-in suppport for deploying to the Mac App Store.

Another way to save money is to just go for the Indie edition instead, which is just USD299. The only thing you will not be able to do is build and deploy to iOS and Android directly from Visual Studio, but you can still do this from Xamarin Studio, which is always included. You could still easily set up your project to at least compile from Visual Studio, so you can still use Resharper and all of the other Visual Studio goodness.

Of course the support level is less for INDIE, but you still have us over here in the Forums, and StackOverflow :)

• pjotoolepjotoole USMember

Thanks, Chris, for the info. What's not clear to me is the compile. The Win7 side I get. Code,build,test. But what about the Mac side. Do I need a mac? Or can I target Mac and build in Win7? Or does it all build to intermediate code?

• LluisSanchezLluisSanchez ESXamarin Team Xamurai

To build the Mac app you will need a Mac, you can't build a Xamarin.Mac application in a PC.