Forum Xamarin.Android
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

How can I add a new property to a custom Xamarin.Android control in AXML?

ChrisSwainChrisSwain USMember, University ✭✭

I'm extending the TextView control in C# and want to add a new property called MaxTextSize and use that property in my AXML file. For some reason it is not recognized there. I can find the control in C# and set the property there, but not in the AXML file as an attribute. Here is the code snippet:

//Set the upper text size limit and invalidate the view
        public void SetMaxTextSize(float maxTextSize)
        {
            _maxTextSize = maxTextSize;
            RequestLayout();
            Invalidate();
        }

//Return upper text size limit
        public float GetMaxTextSize()
        {
            return _maxTextSize;
        }

public float MaxTextSize
        {
            get { return _maxTextSize; }
            set
            {
                _maxTextSize = value;
                RequestLayout();
                Invalidate();
            }
        }

And the AXML:

<testtimer.android.controls.AutoScaleTextView
            p1:text="HH:MM:SS"
            p1:layout_width="wrap_content"
            p1:layout_height="wrap_content"
            p1:maxTextSize="1000dp"
            p1:minLines="1"
            p1:maxLines="1"
            p1:id="@+id/countdownText"
            p1:gravity="center"
            p1:layout_gravity="center_vertical" />

Best Answer

Answers

• ChrisSwainChrisSwain USMember, University ✭✭

Thanks Lori! Exactly what I needed.

I wish there was a guide article on creating custom Xamarin.Android controls. Both from scratch and by inheriting from existing controls. Perhaps one day.

• LoriLalondeLoriLalonde CAInsider, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭✭

@ChrisSwain that's where blog posts come in :) I've been compiling a list of things to blog about based on the questions/issues that come up in the forums.

edited September 2015

@LoriLalonde - On a related note, is there a way to make the designer work with my new control? Right now it just shows a rectangle with the full namespace qualified control name as the text inside the control, and the designer says it is a control of type com.android.layoutlib.bridge.MockView.

• LoriLalondeLoriLalonde CAInsider, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭✭

I came across the same issue when working on a custom control but haven't found a way to resolve it. I assumed it's a limitation of the designer, but it will be interesting to see if there is a way to get that to work.

Hopefully someone on the forums can confirm our suspicions that designer support isn't possible. Or, even better, tell us it is possible and show us how! :)

• HowardBaylissHowardBayliss USMember ✭✭

Thanks Chris; your blog post helped me.

• NeedNapNeedNap ITMember

Hi have a base customButton class with custom attributes, than a roundedButton and circleButton classes that extends from it.
    In Xamarin designers I can't see custom attributes :(.

What can I do to solve this issue?
    Thanks

• Great post. I am also hoping to get this working fully in the designer. If I figure it out, I'll be sure to share the solution.