Tamarin with Desktop AND Mobile Crossplatform

DMAAtTellurDMAAtTellur DEMember ✭✭

Hello Community,

I am very new to Xamarin so I apologize if this question was asked several times before.
I will develop a program for my Company which should be used by Mobile Devices and also on Desktop PCs. So the perfect way for this is to code the backend once, and the frontend for each device. If I am right, Xamarin is designed for doing this. But the problem is, that i only found cross platform within mobile devices. For sure i could create an Cocoa app, or, if i would switch to my windows machine, an Windows app. But is there a way to code all the code once, and use it with mobile AND desktop devices?

Thanks for helping me

• JimBennettJimBennett GBXamarin Team, Insider, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭✭✭

No really yet - the closest is Xamarin.Forms where you can do iOS, Android, Windows Phone with the latest released versions, and Win 8.1 and 10 with preview versions (full version should be coming soon). I image they will add Mac at some point to create a fully cross platform tool but if they do you won't get perfect UI on all platforms. OK for LOB apps but not really for consumer apps.

• DMAAtTellurDMAAtTellur DEMember ✭✭

And what means Windows8.1 + 10 Preview Versions?
    Maybe it is possible to create an empty Library, where all the code will be written in, and the special UIs will call methods from? So most of the code will be written once, but all UI Stuff must be written within the specific projects.

• JWhiteJWhite USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Hi @DMAAtTellur,

If I understand your question correctly Xamarin should actually be able to help fit your needs. What I would recommend is using Portable Class Libraries for as much of your backend as you can. You will be able to select what platforms you want your library to support. Your front end, and platform specific logic, you will do in separate target projects that all reference that same backend. The PCL would allow you to target Windows Desktop, Windows Phone, Android, iOS and Mac.

For more details, you can check out some of the documentation here:

http://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/application_fundamentals/building_cross_platform_applications/
    http://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/application_fundamentals/pcl/

If you have any further questions you can also reach me directly at [email protected]