Forum Xamarin.Forms
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Install app programatically

RajaShanmugamRajaShanmugam USMember, University

Hi,

I am new to xamarin, how do i download an app from a link(below not from apple store) and install it programatically ?

itms-services://?action=download-manifest&url=https://myappstore.azurewebsites.net/appstore/bins/sampleapp.plist

I could not able to find any helpful links

Answers

• DaveHuntDaveHunt USMember ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015

You can't. iOS apps can't install apps.

Also, what does this have to do with Xamarin.Forms?

• RajaShanmugamRajaShanmugam USMember, University

i am writing an app(in house store app) using xamarin.forms. this app should download and install the any of in-house apps from server(not from app store apps)

• DaveHuntDaveHunt USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

As I said, an iOS app cannot install an app.

• rohitasthanarohitasthana USMember

As per my understanding you cant install app in Ios device untill it is not jail break (VNC could be option) however for android you can install programatically but this also need busybox and rooted phone.

• FredyWengerFredyWenger CHInsider ✭✭✭✭✭

@RajaShanmugam:
    What you can do (if your app is in the Apple store) is, to provide a link to the store download from a web-page and/or create and paste a QR code image on the web-page, so that the user can scan the code (with a QR scan app on his mobile) with his mobile and also is redirected to the store to download the app (I have done it this way). But your app has to be in the store!
    For Android, it should be possible to download the app directly from a web-page (without store)
    For WP, I don't know.