Device Doesn't Show Up to Deploy to debug

DOCCDOCC USMember ✭✭

I can deploy to the android simulator. I have an Acer Iconia 8 and want to test my app on it. I have followed the steps at http://developer.xamarin.com/guides/android/getting_started/installation/set_up_device_for_development/ and it doesn't show up as a possibility to run on. In device manager it shows up as "A1-850" under "Portable Devices". Why does it not show up as a device to debug to?

Best Answers

• DOCCDOCC US ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

That was a partial answer. I had tried to update the driver before, but it didn't work this time I tried again and got the error, "Windows was unable to install your ADB interface. Windows could not find driver software for your device." So I contacted Aser support and they showed me how to make windows accept the driver. Here are the steps,
    1. Click the Start menu and select Settings.
    2. Click Update and Security.
    3. Click on Recovery.
    4. Click Restart now under Advanced Startup.
    5. Click Troubleshoot.
    6. Click Advanced options.
    7. Click Startup Settings.
    8. Click on Restart.
    9. On the Startup Settings screen press 7 or F7 to disable driver signature enforcement.
    After rebooting I went in to windows found the driver for my tablet, and
    10. Right clicked "Update Driver" for the ADA device with a yellow exclamation mark on it.
    11. Then clicked "Browse my computer for driver software"
    12. Choose directory where I had downloaded the driver.
    13. Then I had to click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" and selected,
    14. Android ADB Interface.

It installed. Then I received a message on my tablet asking if I wanted to allow the computer to debug on it. I clicked yes and everything worked!
    So thanks for pointing me in the right direction, and with these additional steps I was able to get it working.

Answers

• DOCCDOCC USMember ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

That was a partial answer. I had tried to update the driver before, but it didn't work this time I tried again and got the error, "Windows was unable to install your ADB interface. Windows could not find driver software for your device." So I contacted Aser support and they showed me how to make windows accept the driver. Here are the steps,
    1. Click the Start menu and select Settings.
    2. Click Update and Security.
    3. Click on Recovery.
    4. Click Restart now under Advanced Startup.
    5. Click Troubleshoot.
    6. Click Advanced options.
    7. Click Startup Settings.
    8. Click on Restart.
    9. On the Startup Settings screen press 7 or F7 to disable driver signature enforcement.
    After rebooting I went in to windows found the driver for my tablet, and
    10. Right clicked "Update Driver" for the ADA device with a yellow exclamation mark on it.
    11. Then clicked "Browse my computer for driver software"
    12. Choose directory where I had downloaded the driver.
    13. Then I had to click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" and selected,
    14. Android ADB Interface.

It installed. Then I received a message on my tablet asking if I wanted to allow the computer to debug on it. I clicked yes and everything worked!
    So thanks for pointing me in the right direction, and with these additional steps I was able to get it working.