Alpha Release: Xamarin Studio 5.10.0, Cycle 6 Preview

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

This thread has now been closed to direct all further updates about this release onto the latest announcement:

http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/52443/alpha-release-xamarin-studio-5-10-0-cycle-6-feature-release/p1

Windows

• XamarinStudio-5.10.0.800.msi (9208318)

Mac

• XamarinStudio-5.10.0.800.dmg (9208318)

Reason for release: Preview of the upcoming Cycle 6 feature release, in particular to gather as many additional customer bug reports as possible. (See the release blog and "Xamarin Release Cycles" for more information about "Cycles" and "Service Releases.")

Release notes: http://developer.xamarin.com/releases/studio/xamarin.studio_5.10/xamarin.studio_5.10/

Date published: See https://releases.xamarin.com/.

NOTE: These Alpha versions have some known open bugs, and they have not yet completed the full suite of tests by the Xamarin QA team. The reason for this release is to gather as many additional customer bug reports as possible. (See also guideline #2 below.)

Previous versions, downgrading

You can downgrade back to the current Stable version by switching updater channels.

Guidelines for this thread

1. This first post will be updated regularly.

2. If you find a new problem that is specific to this version:

a. If you can share some specific error messages or can reproduce the problem consistently, please email the information you have so far to [email protected].

b. If you only have a general description of the problem, you can post it directly on this forum thread so that hopefully a member of the Xamarin team or another user will recognize it and be able to help fill in some details.

Important changes

• [iOS] The Cycle 6 builds now require Xcode 7 or higher. For example, attempting to build an iOS app for device using Xcode 6.4 will now fail with "Native linking failed, undefined symbol: ___divdc3".

• [Xamarin Studio] [Visual Studio] [iOS] [Android] Support for OS X 10.9 Mavericks has been deprecated. The Cycle 6 builds now require OS X 10.10 Yosemite.

New issues in the Alpha builds reported by users in the forum announcements

• Non-public Bug 33465 - [Android] "Error MSB4018: The "MergeResources" task failed unexpectedly."

Remaining known issues from Cycle 5, with more common or severe issues near the top

• Non-public Bug 30481, Bug 29557 - [Mono] [Android] [iOS] SqlConnection.GetSchema() fails with "SourceTable is required to be a non-empty string".

• Bug 30548 - [Android] Under certain conditions new threads take several seconds to start. This problem seems to be triggered by Xamarin.Insights 1.10. Partial workarounds: upgrade Xamarin.Insights to version 1.10.3, downgrade to version 1.9, or remove it entirely.

• Bug 29745 - [iOS] Error due to duplicate symbols during native compilation for device: "duplicate symbol _monoeg_g_array_new" (and many similar messages). Workarounds: disable profiling under "Project Properties -> iOS Build", or if your app uses the -all_load linker flag (via either gcc_flags or LinkerFlags) try removing it.

• Bug 28808 - [Xamarin Studio] Uncommon "Too many open files" error, possibly related to keeping a solution open in Xamarin Studio across several sleep/wake cycles, leads to an inability to save the solution, and consequently a loss of the solution file contents.

• Bug 29001 - [Xamarin Studio] Under certain conditions, clicking in the universal search bar can trap the cursor focus, preventing text entry into the text editor window.

• Bug 29731 - [Android] Android.Bluetooth.BluetoothAdapter.Enable is incorrectly marked as [Obsolete("deprecated")] for API level 20 and higher.

EDIT Sep 02: Update for new Alpha builds. The Windows installers are now available.
EDIT Sep 08: Add Android Bug 33465. Remove Android Bug 30513 because it's fixed.
EDIT Sep 10: Adjust the "guidelines" to mention [email protected].
EDIT Sep 18: Add iOS Bug 33124.
EDIT Sep 21: Update for Sep 18's new Alpha builds.
EDIT Sep 24: Update for new Alpha builds.

• Two questions:

What exactly is the meaning of "cycle 6"?

And is there any chance this fix can get into the next release?:

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=25825

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    • What exactly is the meaning of "cycle 6"?

For simplicity I'll quote the first post in the thread:

See the release blog and "Xamarin Release Cycles" for more information about "Cycles" and "Service Releases."

• is there any chance this fix can get into the next release?:

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=25825

As I understand it, that fix depends on a larger set of changes (still under development) referred to as the "new project model." Since that larger set of changes is still a work-in-progress, it is currently tentatively targeted for the next feature release after Cycle 6.

To the Xamarin Studio engineers: of course feel free to correct me if I have misstated anything.

• What about changing colors of Xamarin Studio windows? It had to ship in Q4 2015. The white/gray windows are real pain if you work longer.

• WilliamRaifordWilliamRaiford USMember ✭✭

After updating to alpha channel's 704, I get a build failure: "MergeResources" task failed unexpectedly. I've tried cleaning, deleting bin/obj directories, rebuild all, restarting. Nothing has worked. The screen would freeze when I started the Rebuild All and then it would pop up the failure every time.

I've reverted to my snapshot just prior to upgrading and rebuilt and the solution builds fine.

My solution structure is a PCL, three Android libraries, and three Android applications. The Android libraries and applications each contribute to the resources including values, styles, layouts, etc.

What about changing colors of Xamarin Studio windows?

I myself (just a member of the Support Team) haven't heard about a timeline for a dark theme for Xamarin Studio. It looks like the status of the corresponding UserVoice request was updated on July 27, 2015 to "Planned." In theory that UserVoice page will be the best place to track the status of that feature.

WilliamRaiford, thanks for the report!

The "'MergeResources' task failed unexpectedly" error is being tracked in a non-public bug report against Xamarin.Android, and will be fixed in a future "Cycle 6" build, at the latest before Cycle 6 is promoted to the Stable channel, but probably sooner than that. I will track its status in the the forum announcements as the builds are updated. For the moment, I have added it to the first post in the thread.

• Do you already supports 3D Touch features in this release? If you're not, what is ETA?

• AlanMcGovernAlanMcGovern USXamarin Team Xamurai

3D touch is part of the iOS 9 SDK. Support for the iOS 9 SDK was shipped as part of Xamarin.iOS 9.0.

• KMullinsKMullins USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

All,

We have some documentation and C# code available for 3D Touch, however, without real iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus hardware, there currently is no way to test it. The iOS Simulator does not support 3D Touch.

You can check out the current documentation here: Introduction to 3D Touch.

We will be expanding and correcting this document as testing support becomes available.

Thanks,

Kevin

• This build is constantly using 100% CPU for me (even before opening a solution), is that a known issue?

• AlanMcGovernAlanMcGovern USXamarin Team Xamurai

Yes, that patch has now been included in the 4.2 series so the next refresh of those builds should fix the 100% cpu issue.

• TeknomeTeknome CAMember ✭✭
    edited September 2015

Hello! Is there a roadmap or a tentative release date for fixed included in mono 4.2?

I'm looking specifically at bugs found in WCF implementation, like this bug (https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=32886) that blocks our current release from going live.

EDIT: it works in Alpha, my question is more of when is the stable release planned? Thanks!

• madrvojtmadrvojt USMember

Is any manual for Code Analysis in XS? I try it , but no .xml file generated. Thanks.

EDIT: it works in Alpha, my question is more of when is the stable release planned? Thanks!

Teknome, you can follow the "Upcoming Release Dates" sections in the "Cycle 6" posts on http://releases.xamarin.com. For example, see the "4th Alpha Preview" thread from September 24. At the moment the target Stable date is still a fairly broad estimate.

Is any manual for Code Analysis in XS? I try it , but no .xml file generated.

@madrvojt, thanks for the question.

I think the release notes are currently a little confusing on that feature, so I have requested a few wording changes that will hopefully help.

One subtle complication is that for now users must import their own "RunCodeAnalysis" targets. There are currently no built-in "RunCodeAnalysis" targets in Xamarin. With that clarification in mind, the "future" plans mentioned in the release notes for Xamarin.iOS, Xamarin.Android, and Xamarin.Mac hopefully make more sense:

[The RunCodeAnalysis] commands are indented to be used by future releases of Xamarin.Android, Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Mac to do analysis of project settings and show warnings and errors about misconfigurations of projects.

This thread has now been closed to direct all further updates about this release onto the latest announcement:

http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/52443/alpha-release-xamarin-studio-5-10-0-cycle-6-feature-release/p1

This discussion has been closed.