CCEaseSineIn Odd Behavior

I am trying to move an object up and down the screen using a sine ease but it looks like its doing some sort of a bounce or elastic ease. If I move from point A to point B it goes way past B and then comes back to it.

var up = new CCMoveTo (2f, new CCPoint (center.X, center.Y + 160));
var upEase = CCEaseSineIn (up);
sprite.RunAction(upEase);

Doing this same thing in cocos2d-x show a smooth animation that gradually changes speed but never goes past point B.

Is there something i need to do to get it to tween correctly?

Answers

• RandyCooperRandyCooper USMember

I think this might be an issue with CCEaseMath. I was able to use a custom ease with a sine in function and it worked like I was expecting.

private void MoveDown()
        {
            var down = new CCMoveTo (0.5f, new CCPoint (center.X, center.Y));
            var ease = new CCEaseCustom (down, SineIn);

sprite.RunAction (ease);
        }

private float SineIn(float time)
        {
            return (float) Math.Sin(time * (Math.PI / 2) - (Math.PI / 2)) + 1;
        }

I've only tested the sine functions so I don't know if any others have issues.

edited August 2015

Here is sine out.

private float SineOut(float time)
        {
            return (float) Math.Sin(time * (Math.PI / 2));
        }

• kjpou1kjpou1 LUMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Randy

Thanks for letting us know. Have set up an issue here. You are more than welcome to submit a PR for this if you would like.

Randy

Never mind about the PR is re-read the code and you are using CCEaseCustom which I did not see before. Thanks

I've also noticed some lag while running repeated actions on android devices(Galaxy S3). Have you heard anything about that? I'm recreating my actions and sequences every time I start over, is that a huge performance hit?

@RandyCooper

This easing should be fixed now. https://github.com/mono/CocosSharp/issues/286

After looking up the tween functions it looks like the SineIn and SineOut functions have not been correct for a while. Thanks for catching that.

private float SineIn(float time)
    {
        return -1f * (float)Math.Cos(time * (Math.PI / 2.0)) + 1f;
    }

private float SineOut(float time)
    {
        return (float) Math.Sin(time * (Math.PI / 2.0));
    }

@RandyCooper

How are you structuring the creation and where are adding them in your code. Is this a lag from the time you add them to the time they actually run?

You should not have to recreate them if they are always the same. Cocos2d-x you would use a copy() but you can define them once and reuse them as many times as needed as long as they do not change.

I have a CCActionSequence that contains an action to move up then another to move down and runs for 1 second. When the sequence is complete it will play again. Right now I am creating a new sequence every time I start a new loop. On ios and the android emulator (Xamarin Player) it runs just fine but when I put it on my Galaxy S3 the framerate will occasionally drop by half and then go back up making it look very choppy.

edited August 2015

I also have the formulas for the other easing functions if you would like those as well.

Can you just reuse the sequence ? How are you calling the sequence?

I have a sequence with to easing function and a CallFunc. In the action of the CallFunc I just do a sprite.RunAction(). It works great on iOS but it's very choppy on all android devices.