Forum General

Xamarin too buggy?

SilverSurferSilverSurfer USMember ✭✭

After playing with Xamarin on Visual Studio 2015 in Windows 10, I've realized how buggy it is. I would like to know what setup do you guys use?

Ex: Xamarin Studio for OSX, Xamarin on VS 2013 for Windows 8.1, etc

I really want to give this another try before moving on to Corona.

• FredyWengerFredyWenger CHInsider ✭✭✭✭✭

@SilverSurfer:
    VS2013 Update 2 + Xamarin, Win 8.1 and MAC (unfortunately: must have :smirk:).
    I work with XF.
    I have my app in the (all) store now and they work fine.
    But.. it was hard work (not caused by the programming, caused by the Xamarin Environment).
    If you - like you wrote - have started with Win10 and VS 2015 - I think you have to wait a while until Xamarin will works without (mayor:wink:) problems.
    If you have a look at the latest XF-Release (1.5-Pre-1) you can see e.g., that there were just a few corrections regarding intellisense to VS2015.

Greetings from Switzerland :sunglasses:

• SilverSurferSilverSurfer USMember ✭✭

Yeah, I downgraded back to windows 8.1 with VS 2013. I am now able to create a app that reference a PCL without an issue. Thanks again for the response!

On another note, if I want to create a push notification app for IOS, Android and WP. I guess I would need to create each one separately right?

@SilverSurfer:

You can find further information's in my starter-guide here:
    http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/36821/quickstart-guide-to-start-developing-with-xamarin-forms#latest

Regarding push notifications, I suggest you to search the forum over google (Xamarin.forms push).
    => Just copy paste to Google :smile:

• BrandonFryeBrandonFrye USMember
    edited February 2016

For 2 days now I have been forced to use it on the Mac. I have hit a complete wall using Visual studio (VERY long build times, can't attach to debugger). So while support is investigating that - I have had to use Xamarin studio on the mac. In 2 days I have found this:

I find it extremely buggy. Search (very upper right corner) regularly gets in a state where I can't type in it. CONSTANTLY crashing the debugger. Breakpoints in anonymous delegates RARELY work correctly. Does not reload files that are changed on disk and therefore does not correctly determine what projects needs to be built.

I understand they want us to file bugs. I get it - I write software too. But to be honest - I have a job to do. Can't spend every five minutes stopping, filling out a bug report, etc. It seems to be they don't use their own products. Some of these things are so fundamental it feels like they really should be catching them internally.

Sorry for the rant - I have been with these guys since they were with Novel. I want SO badly to love this product. I have found that once you get a stable setup - AVOID UPGRADE AT ALL COSTS. We have a procedure in place here Where only 1 of our several engineers will upgrade (a bit of a Guinea pig) - if that goes well, we all do it.

Yes and not loved posts are censored on a very ugly and bad way:
    This thread is prevented from pop since months now:
    http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/41588/how-to-make-forms-stable#latest

And also some of my unloved postings in the thread were simply deleted...
    That's Xamarin... :rage:

• shibasisshibasis AUMember
    edited November 2016

Xamarin truly has lot of potential. Bad sadly, even in Nov 2016, I am still spending 40% of my time fixing library dependency issues in xamarin. VS 2015 + Win 10 and trying to build the android project.

This is what I did -
    1. Install Visual studio 2015 community+Xamarin
    2. Create a new Xamarin project (Did not add single line of code - let's test the default "Welcome To Xamarin" thingy)
    3. Set Android as the startup project, hit F5
    4. Error in execution.

Any testing happening in the Xamarin side for the new releases?

Welcome to the club (40%) :sunglasses:

Any testing happening in the Xamarin side for the new releases?

That's a real good question :smirk: