MonoMac vs Xamarin.Mac ?

tbergerontbergeron Tommy BergeronCAMember

Hi!

I've been making a small Mac app just for fun and I really love Xamarin now that I'm using it for Mac development.

One question I have is "What's the difference between MonoMac and Xamarin.Mac?" I think the website lacks answer about this, I thought clicking "Explore Xamarin.Mac" would bring me some advantages or something but it lead to a price list which is kinda disappointing but still I'm definitively looking forward using Xamarin more!

Thanks and have a nice day!

• MikeCodesDotNetMikeCodesDotNet Michael James GBXamarin Team Xamurai

Hi Tommy,

Xamarin.Mac is the Xamarin supported flavour of MonoMac. With Xamarin.Mac you get the ease of use that you will be accustomed to with Xamarin.iOS. That is, you can build a Mac App Store package with a few clicks.

Xamarin.Mac also has some unique API's such as GameKit, AppKit, StoreKit which are not available in MonoMac.

If you are looking to easily deploy to the App store and require a commercial license of Mono then you should look to get a license for Xamarin.Mac.

If you want a full run down of whats difference then I suggest getting in touch with our sales team. They will be able to discuss your projects requirement and help you decide if Xamarin.Mac is the right solution.

• MichaelBevinMichaelBevin Michael Bevin EEMember

I am totally confused as to if/how I can purchase Xamarin.Mac, and what I should purchase - if I go to https://xamarin.com/mac and click 'Download Now', I am just taken to the generic download page https://xamarin.com/download .... however this is what I downloaded and (despite the download page claiming explicitly that it does include Xamarin.Mac) it doesn't contain Xamarin.Mac, and is rather trying to upsell me to it whenever I try to create a Xamarin.Mac project.

So then if I go to https://store.xamarin.com/ to try to buy it, I just see the starter/indie/business/enterprise options, with absolutely no indication of which include Xamarin.Mac and which don't.

It's also hard to determine what exactly Xamarin.Mac offers over Mono.Mac (I've read the above posts and some other info, but its still pretty unclear), and related to that how Xam.Mac fits in (and similarly looking at XWT I'm lost regarding whats the difference between Xwt.Mac and Xwt.XamMac, or how the choice of Xamarin.Mac vs Mono.Mac would affecting things if using XWT).

• MikeCodesDotNetMikeCodesDotNet Michael James GBXamarin Team Xamurai

Hi Michael,

I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulties purchasing Xamarin.Mac. Can I ask you to contact our sales team as they will be able to assist you and answer all your questions.

All the best,
    Mike

I would have thought that someone from Xamarin explaining this in a forum (and/or correcting the website) would save everyone individually repeating the same questions? The website, and directions that can be read about this in the forums, are all clearly messed-up + inconsistent (unless I'm mistaken in what I wrote in my previous post, in which case, please correct me).

Thus, I don't see this as an individual problem that I have, that I need to contact your sales team about, but rather something that you need to explain and sort out generally. I mean, I could contact the sales team ... and then report back here with the resolution if any .... just seems like I'm being run in circles a little ...

Assuming I'm not the only person on the planet trying to use/purchase Xamarin.Mac ...

• DaveHuntDaveHunt David Hunt USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@MikeB,

There is no Xamarin.Mac for the Starter edition. To get Xamarin.mac you have to upgrade to any one of the paid editions. Go to store.xamarin.com and it will show that your current plan is Starter edition. Click Update on any one of the other plans and you will be taken to a page where you can select which products you want. That page is where you can select Xamarin.Mac. Then just fill out the rest of the form and click Complete Purchase. That's all there is to it.

Thanks for the explanation. I made the purchase. Things get much clearer once you click 'Upgrade' on that store page - just if you haven't clicked it, then not so obvious.

Also note, I was still confused for some time as to how to 'get' Xamarin.Mac, having done the purchase - it still pointed me to just the "Download Xamarin for Mac" button .... I tried installing that, but that's just the same thing I had before .... and I was also trying setting my account in Xamarin following the install, but still no Xamarin.Mac showed up there ... I eventually worked out that I had to download the different installer using the https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads Xamarin.Mac OSX dropdown button thing - what the meaning of all the buttons on that page is is rather unintuitive, like I still don't know what the difference is between the big main "Download Xamarin for Mac" button (which one kind of expects to download everything), and the bottom right "Xamarin Studio" (OSX) option (attached a screenshot to illustrate).

Anyway, all seems good for me now, so I was just noting that as another potential thing to look into in terms of user confusion with trying to get Xamarin.Mac :).

• DaveHuntDaveHunt David Hunt USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, sorry. When I said "that's all there is to it" I should have said "that's all there is to purchase it". I forgot about the extra steps to download the pieces.

You are right - they need to be a bit more clear about what is included with each edition and, at the very least, after completing your purchase it should display a page describing how to download the extra pieces you purchased.