Has anybody integrated Xamarin.Forms, Azure Mobiles Services and an encrypted local DB ?

JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod

I have prototyped using Xamarin.Forms with Azure Mobiles Services and a local SQLite DB. However, for the release product I really ought to be encrypting the local DB (and doing something sensible with the key). I found the following link, in the chat of which there is talk of encrypting the local DB when using Azure Mobile Services. I was just wondering if anybody has actually done this in a Xamarin.Forms app, to work across Android, iOS, WinPhone (Silverlight) and WinRT (phone and desktop)? If so, was the approach in the link below the way you did it, or did you follow another method?

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/mobile-services-windows-store-dotnet-get-started-offline-data/

Many thanks,

John H.

Answers

• DavidSpeakDavidSpeak GBUniversity ✭✭

Hi John,

I have the same set up and am now about to port from Mobile Services to Mobile App. At the same time I want to encrypt the local SQLite db whilst maintaining the Azure data sync and keep the local db searchable (if possible).

Did you have any joy in doing this (preferably without having to spend loads of cash on licences etc. :smile: )?

Cheers,
    Dave.

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod

@DavidSpeak - Apologies for the delay in replying. I haven't implemented the combination yet, but I asked about it on a Xamarin.University Azure session the other day, and the answer (after some Googling) was that it looked possible either using a paid-for solution, or using SQLCipher. I note that the SQLCipher website says "SQLCipher has broad platform support for with C/C++, Obj-C, QT, Win32/.NET, Java, Python, Ruby, Linux, Mac OS X, iPhone/iOS, Android, Xamarin.iOS, and Xamarin.Android", which I suspect means that it will be necessary to use DependencyInjection to have different code for Windows, iOS and Android.

Have you progressed any further on this?

• DavidSpeakDavidSpeak GBUniversity ✭✭

@JohnHardman

Thanks John.

I have 'been away' myself doing some Win forms stuff on a contract but am just about to return to the app. I haven't implemented this yet as the fees for SQLCipher of $500 per platform, or $2000 for SEE are making my eyes water!

I haven't found any other way of doing it yet, so it looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and get a licence for SQLCipher and develop the app on iOS primarily, then buy licences for Android/Windows when needed.

After the current problems with Xamarin Forms stability I'm just hoping that for that price it's rock solid!

If/when I do get it working I'll let you know (would be grateful if you make any progress on this yourself you'd let me know as well :smile: ) ...

Good Luck,
    Dave.