1.5.0-pre3 Notes

Resolved Issues introduced 1.5.0-pre1

• Bug 32881 - Null Reference Exception launching a page from a Carousel

Bug Fixes

Other Fixes

• [iOS] - Fix NRE when ViewCell View was null

1.5.0-pre2 Notes

Important Notes

This release removes VS 2015 Xaml Intellisense support because of crashing issues on the Microsoft Xaml editor. After updating we recommend completely removing the entire 1.5.0-pre1 directory from the packages folder. This will help ensure VS does not continue to have issues.

Resolved Issues introduced 1.5.0-pre1

• Bug 32881 - Null Reference Exception launching a page from a Carousel
  • Bug 32888 - HasUnevenRows = true causes all rows to be jumbled

Bug Fixes

Other Fixes

• [iOS] Throwing NSInternalInconsistencyException when clearing and adding items to a ObservableCollection.
  • [iOS] MasterDetailPage Icon would not update correctly on rotation
  • [Win] Fix group header height on phone

Other Changes

Remove Xaml Intellisense VS support.

1.5.0-pre1 Notes

Important Notes

This release update the package dependencies for google play services and android support lib. This is to ensure a good experience when using the latest google play services package. Unfortunately this may require a recompile for some libraries to ensure compatibility with the latest version of Forms. Thus we are bumping to 1.5.0 instead of 1.4.5. There are no features in this release.

Updated dependencies for Xamarin.Forms

• Xamarin.Android.Support.v4 22.2.1.0

Updated dependencies for Xamarin.Forms.Maps

• Xamarin.Android.Support.v7.AppCompat 22.2.1.0
  • Xamarin.Android.Support.v7.MediaRouter 22.2.1.0
  • Xamarin.GooglePlayServices.Maps 25.0.0.0

Additionally this package now ships a powershell script that will throw a warning on Xamarin Studio. You may safely ignore this warning when upgrading.

Bug Fixes

• Bug 32665 - No Xaml Intellisense in Visual studio 2015
  • Bug 32538 - Android - Items in ListView with GroupHeaderTemplate and ItemTemplate get TextColor and Attributes from GroupHeaderTemplate when scrolling
  • Bug 32439 - Intellisense not working as expected in Visual Studio 2015
  • Bug 32148 - Pull to refresh hides the first item on a list view when setting HasUnevenRows = True
  • Bug 31979 - Android keyboard does not dismiss when setting a new Detail on MasterDetailPage
  • Bug 31856 - ListView incorrect formatting of group headers and items
  • Bug 31669 - SearchBar displays black background with BackgroundColor = Color.Transparent on iOS
  • Bug 31664 - On MasterDetailPage trying to change Icon or Title of Master page doesn't works, need to open and close the menu
  • Bug 31602 - not possible to programmatically open master page after iPad landscape -> portrait rotation
  • Bug 31255 - Master's page Icon cause memory leak after MasterDetailPage is popped out by holding on page
  • Bug 30690 - [iOS] Issue with Xamarin.Forms ListView with Grouped Header
  • Bug 30651 - ListView jumps around while scrolling after items are added to its source
  • Bug 30353 - MasterDetailPage.IsPresentedChanged is not raised
  • Bug 30324 - Detail view of MasterDetailPage does not get appearance events on Android when whole MasterDetailPage disappears/reappears
  • Bug 30210 - Binding a TableView Title does not respond to updates
  • Bug 30200 - Listview Context Actions not closed
  • Bug 30016 - MasterDetailPage with TabbedPage master becomes unresponsive after rotation
  • Bug 29889 - On iOS, after PullToRefresh completes, ListView's content is scrolled and obscured
  • Bug 29549 - Incorrect layout animation when presenting a MasterDetailPage modally
  • Bug 29441 - Xamarin Forms iOS - MasterDetailPage used in TabbedPage changes BarTintColor
  • Bug 28498 - [iOS] App crashes when switching between NavigationPages on a MasterDetailPage when In-Call Status Bar is visible
  • Bug 28351 - [iOS] Collapsing master view causes grey box to appear after rotation on iPad
  • Bug 28277 - [iOS] ListView.ScrollTo does not work correctly when cells are of varying sizes
  • Bug 20766 - Image AnchorX not working on Android

Other Fixes

• [WinRT] - Crash when tapping on header in ListView with no short name
  • [WinRT] - Jump lists now properly render
  • [WinRT] - Default header appearance on phone now matches platform style
  • [WinRT] - Jump list appearance on desktop now matches platform style
  • [WinRT] - ContextActions are now properly triggered with right click
  • [Core] - Potential crash due to null binding data in TableSection

Known Issues (release blockers)

• [WinRT Phone] - Header cells fail to respect user set height

• BradChase.2654BradChase.2654 USMember ✭✭✭

Thank you so much. I upgraded to windows 10 and VS 2015 so we could start programming for windows 10 only to find everything was broken on the development side. This will help a ton! My NuGet isnt seeing it yet, so Ill just keep checking! Thanks again.

• BradChase.2654BradChase.2654 USMember ✭✭✭

Well houston, we have a problem. am I supposed to do something special here? Because when I open a XAML now, VS 2015 bombs. Also Intellisense in C# is completely broken now. Maybe I did something wrong?

• TheRealJasonSmithTheRealJasonSmith USXamarin Team Xamurai

Can you show us the issue? Give us some more detail? The way Microsoft chose to make XAML intellisense work in VS 2015 is still very very new. It's... lovely...

• AlanSpiresAlanSpires USBeta ✭✭

I'm still seeing the list view jump around after adding new items.... See attached video.
    https://dropbox.com/s/qdsb7t85axzekgg/ListViewJumps.mov?dl=0

This is due to 2 different things.

First you are using uneven rows and I am guessing you are having Xamarin.Forms measure them. The second is that we provide estimations to those uneven rows whihc are only estimations. Fixing this will have a performance implication which we are working out how to either A) mitigate or B) give you an API to explicitly request.

edited August 2015

Actually i am using a viewcell renderer in iOS to set the cell height, this seems to be the only way to accomplish uneven row heights in iOS (works great in android without any renderers) using Forms. (unless i'm missing something)

i also noticed that before the update...

1. Hit load more rows.
    2. new records are added to the observablecollection using .AddRange(items)
    3. rows show up perfectly under the existing.

In the update it seems to scroll almost to the very bottom of the rows i added when using the same code.
    Here is a link to how it responded BEFORE 1.5
    https://dropbox.com/s/vdqn6pp8b1brgj0/LiveViewJump1-4-4.mov?dl=0

If you compare my previous video post to this one you can see what I mean. Thanks!

• GuidoKerstenGuidoKersten NLUniversity ✭✭

Hi @TheRealJasonSmith, I've walked into a problem that's related to the latest Xamarin.Forms 1.4.4 releases and is not solved with the latest 1.5.0 pre release.

First, I was not sure if the problem was related to Xamarin.Forms, so I created a thread on the Visual Studio section of this forum. But I just found out that when I downgrade the Xamarin.Forms to 1.4.3.6376, the problem seems to be solved. So please take a look at my post over there for more details.

At this moment I use Windows 10 + VS 2015, but I've also tested on Windows 8.1 + VS 2013 which seems face the same problems.

I can easily reproduce this issue, so I've created a sample project which you can download here to demonstrate what is going wrong, although it will probably not give you the error message (just take a look at the obj folder's content)

@AlanSpires you should just be able to do

listView.HasUnevenRows = true on ios now. Dont set RowHeight or cell.Height. This didn't used to work but does now.

@Guido_Kersten you're going to have to reduce the length of the filename, probably by not putting things so many folders deep. Windows only supports 256 character filenames (well not strictly true, but it effectively is).

edited August 2015

@TheRealJasonSmith Removing my iOS renderer, which was the only thing touching row height (listview.rowheight not set) and keeping HasUnevenRows = true just blobs everything together for me. Which is the behavior I always remember. I would LOVE it if I am missing something here and this finally has been sorted out but I can't seem to get it without using a renderer.

https://dropbox.com/s/ktr6pol3e5j23c7/Screen%20Shot%202015-08-05%20at%204.47.53%20PM.png?dl=0

I also updated my demo github project on the original bug report to demonstrate that i'm still seeing this bug.
    https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=30651

@TheRealJasonSmith the problem is not in how deep I put the files, it's in how the files are named in the obj folder.. Would you just take a look at that? It's not normal behaviour that the file gets the fullpath name as it's filename in the obj folder..

edited August 2015

@Guido_Kersten when I run the demo you uploaded it builds fine and does not exhibit the behavior you are seeing. Do you see this on other machines?

@AlanSpires I will try to look into that, make sure you are not seeing Cell.Height as I see you doing that in there as well.

• TektonTekton USMember ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015

@TheRealJasonSmith What if we need to have uneven row heights set explicitly? Although you could probably imagine what it might look like going from 1.4 to 1.5, I've just sent you an email with two videos attached, showing the difference. Just wondering if we should expect that ListView uneven row heights should always be left to XF or if we can expect that this should work in the future, having height explicitly set? Email probably explains this better, I hope anyways.

EDIT: Actually, looking at the code, I'm not setting the cell height anywhere. I'm actually only explicitly setting the Grid container row heights. Could share code in private, if it's something needing verification or internal testing.

@TheRealJasonSmith just tried to build the same app on Mac (Xamarin Studio) and there the same problem occurs.. Also a colleague tried to build the app in VS 2015 and also has the same issue.. See screenshot for more details..

@Guido_Kersten the reason for the change is to resolve this bug: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=31234 Effectively simply keying on the filename was not enough. So the key was changed to be the manifest resource name which is guaranteed to be unique.

I cannot tell you if we will be changing this in the future to try to find a shorter identifier.

• LucaPinascoLucaPinasco ITMember ✭✭

I installed this pre release, but my visual studio sometime freeze.
    it freeze on "Renaming symbols in XAML files... Press Escape to cancel" (but is freezed and I can't press escape)

edited August 2015

@TheRealJasonSmith Allright.. But I don't think this will be the right way to deal with it.. I would prefer a good structured project above the ability to give 2 or more files the same name.. I don't quite see when this is needed?

• rmarinhormarinho PTMember, Insider, Beta Xamurai
    edited August 2015

@LucaPinasco can you tell us your environment please?

@AlanSpires i will track the issue with you on Bugzilla.

Thanks

• LucaPinascoLucaPinasco ITMember ✭✭

Yes of course.
    I have windows 10 x64, with visual studio 2015.
    It happens both in new project and old project...
    Visual studio freeze also with the workaround suggests in another thread

• powerdudepowerdude USMember ✭✭

@Guido_Kersten

I find it helpful when setting up my structure like ASP.NET MVC. Say i have a Customer editor and an Order editor. I could have:

Views
    ----CustomerEditor.xaml
    ----OrderEditor.xaml

or

Views
    -----Customer
    -------Editor.xaml
    -----Order
    -------Editor.xaml

a structure like this perfectly acceptable and should be allowed.

@powerdude I'm not trying to say that it shouldn't be acceptable, but if it comes to cost that we are very limited to the path length of our project folder, project names and files names.. I would definitely choose to avoid double files names..

@TheRealJasonSmith Isn't there a thinkable way of using the namespace + class/filename as a unique identifier instead of the whole filepath?

edited August 2015

@TheRealJasonSmith What's changed in ListView that would make it fail to render cells? Should I be concerned about how I'm using ListViews right now? Don't mind being called an idiot, but being ignored is worse. :p

• DquaglioDquaglio ITMember

Hi, I'm having problems with ListView and Cells too since I updated to this version. The cell are too strict and cut the content that overlaps with nearly cells.

public ListView GenerateListView()
            {
                return  new ListView () {
                    ItemTemplate = new DataTemplate (typeof(ComunicationItemTemplate)),
                    HasUnevenRows = true,
                    BackgroundColor = MyTeam.Assets.Style.GetCommunicationListColor(),
                    VerticalOptions = LayoutOptions.FillAndExpand
                };
            }

Here is how I generate the listview

edited August 2015

@TheRealJasonSmith @Dquaglio Although quite some code, this is pretty close to what I'm doing with ListView. Note that it's just a gist, so I haven't built any of that code specifically; just cherry picked enough to build a proper test w/this kind of usage, if one so desired.

In 1.5, it seems like only the most recently appeared cells get rendered w/height properly. Not sure if that's the best description, but feeling like a ghost, in any case, when it comes to asking about ListView in 1.5-pre1. Kind of like walking into McDonalds, but the best McLovin you get is a cold stare that says, "WTF do you want?" When all you needed was a, "Hello, welcome." :confounded:ahem

https://gist.github.com/TheTekton/be9d8bab01c293ee383d

EDIT:
    Hopefully the sarcasm isn't too pushy to get a response. Lol... BTW, main thing about the gist, I think, is that I'm building out a custom ViewCell that's comprised of a Grid that has row definitions with varying height settings (absolute/auto [for row with GridCardsTitleView]). MyContentPage is setting the data, but that's just pulled out of a view model, for some idea of brevity.

@Tekton So is this something wanted? Is this a new "feature" ? Will I need to update that code because things will change? Is this how it will be in the Stable release of XF1.5?

@Dquaglio can you post a picture of before and after update, and please provide your ComunicationItemTemplate

@Tekton can you specify what fail you see on the cells on 1.5.0 ? Do they don't renderer at all or just a size issue? Can you pleas post a picture from before and after. Thanks

Thanks

@rmarinho Tried emailing these videos to Jason, but I think the lizard people might be intercepting communications. :p

1.4 latest: https://www.dropbox.com/s/24s3l1gfkz609pz/cached_preload_webview_in_listview_perf_demo.mov?dl=0
    1.5-pre1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/468c7qckcxr3xqv/XF15_webview_in_listview_demo.mov?dl=0

We identified the regression with the dynamic cell height, will be fixed in 1.5.0-pre2

@rmarinho Many thanks for the update. Was getting asked about how things with Xamarin.Forms are going, at the office earlier. Made sure to bring up how well y'all are doing with the bug fixes, because, there's quite a difference developing now, from just a few months ago. Will wait to test more on 1.5, for pre2.

• NunoFonsecaNunoFonseca PTMember

Still not getting Xaml Intellisense on Visual Studio 2015 (Bug 32665). Bug 32439 here is fixed though.
    Is there anything we must do additionally to upgrading the package?

Thank you

• ylemsoulylemsoul RUMember ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015

@NunoFonseca, verify packages folder: each platform subfolder (MonoTouch10, wpa81 etc) should contain Design subfolder with Xamarin.Forms.Core.Design.dll and Xamarin.Forms.Xaml.Design.dll inside. If it is not the case than probably powershell script failed to execute due to security settings (check them via Get-ExecutionPolicy). You can either copy Design folder with dlls from the tools\lib folder or change execution policy via Set-ExecutionPolicy and reinstall package again

edited August 2015

@ylemsoul , checked all refered dirs, they all have those two required dll's, still, no Intellisense. My xaml files have the property "Custom Tool" with the value "MSBuild:UpdateDesignTimeXaml", and are set as "Embedded Resource". Is this correct?

• ylemsoulylemsoul RUMember ✭✭✭

@NunoFonseca,

My xaml files have the property "Custom Tool" with the value "MSBuild:UpdateDesignTimeXaml", and are set as "Embedded Resource". Is this correct?

It is correct.
    For mine VS 2015 RTM Intellisense there..but crashes sometimes.

edited August 2015

Ok, some more insights about this, from my experience:

1. Closing all the files, unloading and reloading the project brings back Intellisense. Apparently it was not enough to quit Visual Studio and opening again, i had to explicitly force a reload of the project.

2. None of Xamarin Forms Layouts properties work. If i start a tag with StackLayout, AbsoluteLayout, RelativeLayout, Grid, ContentView, Frame, ScrollView, and try to Intellisense the respective properties, Intellisense will not work and it will stop working from then on. If i close the xaml file and open it again, Intellisense is working again. All other controls seem to be working, Buttons, Labels, Images, etc. Notice that also that if i open and close a tag like this:

<StackLayout></StackLayout>

and continue working inside:

<StackLayout> <Label Text="Intellisense works in this label despite being inside a stack layout" /> </StackLayout>

without trying to Intellisense the outer StackLayout properties, everything continues to work. The minute i try to Intellisense them, it breaks, and i need to close the file and reload.

3 . This is making Visual Studio hang too many times. Not always, but specially in the above situation.

Is anyone having a similar problem?

• ScottNimrodScottNimrod USMember ✭✭

Intellisense still does not work on my machine.
    It never worked on my machine.
    I even purchased the license and it doesn't work.

@rmarinho

@Dquaglio can you post a picture of before and after update, and please provide your ComunicationItemTemplate

is this still needed ? because I saw this:

We identified the regression with the dynamic cell height, will be fixed in 1.5.0-pre2

does this mean this is only a bug and I can ignore the how to fix it for now?

edited August 2015

@Dquaglio yes it has been fixed should be in pre 2.

@ScottNimrod are you in VS 2015 RTM? If so, please make sure all your projects have Xamarin.Forms 1.5.0-pre1 nuget, close all open files, clean and rebuild your project. Open a XAML file and try it.

@NunoFonseca and @ylemsoul we are investigating the XAML intellisense issues.

• jonathanyatesjonathanyates GBMember ✭✭✭

The Xamarin.Forms 1.5.0-pre1 prerelease seems to fix the Blue underlining issues in the Xaml. That's great. I have R# installed to so I dunno how well intellisense works without this but for me it seems good now cos there's no blue lines that I have seen since the update. Thanks.

However, the other issue of intellisense errors appearing in code (which are not really errors) is not fixed. It all seems fine until the moment I edit a Xaml file (thought it was fixed until this point) and then when I switch to a code file the errors all appear again. Note the errors are for any code that is referencing something in another PCL (my core PCL in my case). And also note that I think it only happens if I edit a Xaml file that is also referencing anything from my Core PCL, but I can't confirm this. Best way to replicate this is to create a new solution and add a second PCL with some stuff in it and then refence that from your main project PCL. Make sure you try this will stuff referenced in Xaml files as well as view model code.

The above is all quite irritating but not nearly as bad as the fact the VS 2015 continues to regularly hang all the time, with a pop-up message saying Visual Studio Busy. Obviously very busy because it never comes back. I am also running using Parallels and Win8.1 (given up on W10). I read somewhere that the file sharing between Mac and Windows might have something to do with this. I need to test this but turning that off isn't really practical for me.

• ScottNimrodScottNimrod USMember ✭✭

@jonathanyates
    Thank you.
    My XAML intellisense now works.
    I'm using VS2015 RTM and it keeps hanging like you described.