Difference between Visual Studio with Xamarin and Xamarin Studio

SaivamsiHanumanthuSaivamsiHanumanthu Saivamsi HanumanthuUSMember

Hey Everyone,

I am new to app programming, however I do know how to code in C#, C, and C++. I have a Microsoft student account and have Visual Studio and recently I downloaded Xamarin Studio. What is the difference between Visual Studio with Xamarin and Xamarin Studio? Which one is better? Also, which is the easiest language to code apps in.

Thank you

Best Answers

Answers

• SaivamsiHanumanthuSaivamsiHanumanthu Saivamsi Hanumanthu USMember

Thank you LoriLalonde,

That answers my question. I'll use C# because that will allow me to create cross-platform apps.

• BehzadSedighzadeBehzadSedighzade Behzad Sedighzade USMember

Thank you very much for your clear explanation.
    But, is this still valid at the end of 2016?

• kentuckerkentucker ken tucker USMember ✭✭✭✭

Visual Studio is on the mac and PC with visual studio 2017. The mac version is at the time of writing is in preview and has some xamarin and .net core stuff in it. Visual Studio for the Mac does not have everything the windows version does.

https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/visual-studio-mac/

• sajjadsarkoobisajjadsarkoobi sajjad sarkoobi USMember ✭✭

If some one try to build iOS application I strongly recommend to use Xamarin.iOS, it's faster than visual studio that run in VM besides mac.os or run on another machine that connected to the mac device.
    Visual Studio just wasting my time in building,releasing and debugging iOS applications.
    for example I have MacBook Pro 2015( i7, 16G) , when I build a shared project iOS application with Xamarin Studio it just takes 5 to 6 seconds to run on iOS simulator, but when I use visual studio it takes more than 18 seconds.
    cleaning a solution with Xamarin.iOS just takes 1 second, but with visual studio it would take more than 7 seconds.
    just consider that you want to build or debug or clean project many times in a working day, and then sum of these seconds would come up.....,
    xamarin.ios in visual studio has many issues too.

• MartinSchwillMartinSchwill Martin Schwill USMember

What about the new Visual Studio for Mac?

I am currently working with Xamarin Studio but I also use Visual Studio on Windows from time to time,
    and would love to unify the platforms across systems. Any experience with VS for Mac? Is it worth it to switch
    from Xamarin Studio?

• NashZhouNashZhou Nash Zhou USMember ✭✭

@MartinSchwill said:
    What about the new Visual Studio for Mac?

I am currently working with Xamarin Studio but I also use Visual Studio on Windows from time to time,
    and would love to unify the platforms across systems. Any experience with VS for Mac? Is it worth it to switch
    from Xamarin Studio?

You should've switched to VS for Mac quite some time ago. Xamarin Studio is obsolete and isn't going to get anymore updates. When VS for Mac was in preview, you would've had more reason to stay on Xamarin Studio as some people don't want to deal with new bugs, but there is a stable version now released.

Also, Windows isn't covered in VS for Mac just like Xamarin Studio. You can think of VS for Mac as a new update to Xamarin Studio, but it's rebranded.

• MartinSchwillMartinSchwill Martin Schwill USMember
    edited August 12

@NashZhou Thank you for your feedback! Will my current Xamarin Studio projects work on VS for Mac without issues? Have you tried such transition?

@edit Nevermind, already checked, working fine :)

• NashZhouNashZhou Nash Zhou USMember ✭✭

@MartinSchwill You'll be able to use your Xamarin projects on Visual Studio for Mac. Issues may occur when you're updating packages just like before in Xamarin Studio when it was still relevant.