"The installed Android SDK is too old. Version 24.3 or newer is required "

Hello,

1) When I run the "Build cross-platform apps with Xamarin in Visual Studio"
I've error then "The installed Android SDK is too old. Version 24.3 or newer is required ".

2) Downloading Android SDK Tools, revision 24.3.3
URL not found: C:\PROGRA~2\Android\ANDROI~1\temp\tools_r24.3.3-windows.zip (Access is denied)

Thank you,

ilya

• VictorGarciaAprea.9996VictorGarciaAprea.9996 USXamarin Team Xamurai

Hi ilya,

Can you please describe the exact steps you are following in 2) above? Specifically how are you launching the Android SDK Manager? Are you launching it from the Android toolbar in VS? Or some other way?

If you are launching it from the Android toolbar in VS, and you are not running VS as an admin already, then you should be prompt to elevate (UAC prompt) before the Android SDK Manager is launched.

thanks,

• Hi,

It's done.

Thank you
    ilya

• DavidHarveyDavidHarvey USMember

I am having this same error. I used the sdk manager to install the 24.3 version and everything succeeded. The manager shows everything installed. But I still get the error that the sdk is too old. Any suggestions?

• I got another tack,

• ArjunDhaliwalArjunDhaliwal USMember

Same problem as David. Some help would be appreciated.

• I finally come across a solution.
    First update your Xamarin for Visual studio (Stable)
    Open VS15
    Go to tools then options...
    Scroll down and look for Xamarin..
    Change Alpha to Stable..
    Then click on Check Now and download Xamarin

After download, follow the step to install xamarin for visual studio.

Now that is done.. Go on and update the Android SDK..
    Go on Tools> android> Android SDK manager
    From there update the Android SDK tools revise 24.3

To finish. Restart visual Studio. This should Solve the problem.

• VictorGarciaAprea.9996VictorGarciaAprea.9996 USXamarin Team Xamurai

Sorry for not getting back earlier.

Please note that you need to update to 24.3.3 (and not just 24.3) in order for the designer to work.

Also, since I last posted my previous response we have discovered a related issue:

If you open the Android SDK Manager from the link offered by the designer (when it shows an error telling you need 24.3.3) and you are running VS non-elevated, then it will not elevate automatically as it will if you launch the Android SDK Manager from our Android toolbar. We will fix this soon.

For now you should launch the Android SDK Manager from the Android toolbar.

• VasheelNeermulVasheelNeermul MUMember

Hello,
    Following Mr Soman instructions will work, However in case you encounter the following errors after updating the sdk.

1. Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
    2. Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.
      which results to Connection to the layout renderer failed.

you can resolve it by increasing the heap size to 1G.

The step to follow are:
    1. Right-click the Android project
    2. Go to Properties
    3. Go to Android Options
    4. Click on Advanced
    5. In "Advanced Android Build settings" section enter the value of "1G" in the textboxfor the label or "Java Max Heap Size"
    In the Java heap size text box enter 1G.
    6. Rebuild the project.

Further information at:
    https://kb.xamarin.com/customer/portal/articles/1661284-why-does-my-xamarin-forms-maps-android-project-fail-with-compiletodalvik-unexpected-top-level-error-

• QadirMohdQadirMohd USMember

I am having the same issue but cant get out of this.. Kindly help to sort out the issue..

• 1) Open VS-2015 .
    2) Click Tools .
    3) Click Android .
    4) Click Android SKD Manager .

• YuryShpakovYuryShpakov USMember
    edited September 2016

Hi guys,

Sorry, have killed entire day fighting with this problem. Android Designer in Xamarin for Visual Studio (2015) wants Android SDK version 25.1.3 (or newer). Android SDK Manager doesn't allow me to install precisely this version (25.1.3). So I installed version 25.2.2. But the designer (in VS) doesn't see it, keep asking me for updates. Xamarin for VS itself is up-to-date.

Image #1: Before I updated. It shows that Android SDK Manager doesn't give me a chance to install version 25.1.3
    Image #2: After update to version 25.2.2. VS still wants something out of me
    Image #3: And Xamarin itself is up-to-date

What am I doing wrong?

P.S.
    Initially in Options => Xamarin => Other I used "Stable" option for updates and I did update Xamarin to some stable version. Then I tried "Beta" and "Alfa" but VS said Xamarin was up-to-date.

About Xamarin version, this is from VS "About" window:

Xamarin 4.2.0.680 (c4382f5)
    Visual Studio extension to enable development for Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Android.

Xamarin.Android 7.0.0.18 (0e59c36)
    Visual Studio extension to enable development for Xamarin.Android.

Xamarin.iOS 10.0.0.6 (6c3fee4)
    Visual Studio extension to enable development for Xamarin.iOS.

P.P.S.
    And I killed like 3 hours before I figured out to run Android SDK Manager in elevated mode. Normally software is asking for elevating privileges during execution...

• Hey,

Victory, I resolved the problem.
    I followed the instructions in here:
    https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/android/troubleshooting/questions/install-android-sdk-packages/

And here:
    http://www.themethodology.net/2015/02/android-sdk-manager-setup-for.html?m=1

So I installed "SDK Platform" for every API level between 15 to the latest one (even for API level 14 just in case). I think that helped. As well I installed "Android Support Repository" as well as "Google Play services" -- not sure those helped with the designer but just for your information.

After that I faced some strange error (I got some error call stack) in the designer and in couple minutes I googled that I need to clear Component Model Cache of Visual Studio:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17596543/error-message-no-exports-were-found-that-match-the-constraint-contract-name

And after that the problem went.

So the message in screenshot in my previous message is totally confusing and this situation is not well documented because I found the right information in section Troubleshooting / FAQ, not in step-by-step instruction but this step is vital for the designer to work.

Having wasted more than a day on only making a designer work, I can't understand some strange people claiming that Microsoft products suck...

Yury

• MichaelGledhill.7484MichaelGledhill.7484 CHMember ✭✭
    edited October 2016

Oh, come on.....

I had the same error as everyone else, "The installed Android SDK is too old. Version 24.3.4 or newer is required. Please update to the latest version."

So, I followed the instructions on this thread, and upgraded Xamarin from within VS2015: Tools \ Options \ Xamarin, and the error has gone away....

... to be replaced with....
    "The installed Android SDK is too old. Version 25.1.3 or newer is required. Please update to the latest version."

Aaaaghhhh !!!!

Android SDK Manager doesn't even _list _any version 25's of the SDK.

Seriously, I have no idea how people survive using Xamarin.

I do this each year, just grab the latest version of VS & Xamarin, and see if it's worth looking into yet. All I wanted to do today was follow the most basic of "getting started" tutorials, but I can't even view VS2015's default Main.axml file, containing one bl**dy button.

I have no interest in using the latest Android (v25) features, I just wanted to have a look around, perhaps knock-up a demo app or two... but I can't even do that. Why do you release new versions which **demand **that users have an even higher minimum version of the Android SDK ?!

Two years ago, I was complaining about how my first impressions were...
    https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/17944/xamarin-very-bad-first-impressions?new=1

It's now October 2016, and first impressions are as hopeless as ever. I really thought/hoped that perhaps Microsoft would turn it from a hugely-expensive back-of-the-garage hobby to a professional piece of software.

Nope. Not yet.

See you again next year, hopefully with better luck.

I'm off back to Android Studio (I have a demo app running perfectly there, on the same laptop which Xamarin has this bottleneck error message on).....

Btw, someone on StackOverflow suggests that this is a bug/problem/issue with Xamarin, which can be fixed by downloading the files directly:

http://stackoverflow.com/a/39966299/391605

• Maks.0054Maks.0054 RUMember

Hi!

I fixed the issue.

I wrote about it here:
    xamarin-issue-with-designer-in-visual-studio-2015.html

Regards Maksim

• PseudyxPseudyx AUMember
    edited October 2016

I'm having a similar issue, but slightly different. when I follow all the steps above, I have updated Xamarin to the latest stable, then in VS (Administrator) I go to Tools > Android > Android SDK Manager

with options "Updates/New" and "Installed" selected I click "Install 14 packages".

When I select the "Accept License" option I get the error "Package 'ARM 64 v8a System Image, Android API 24, revision 7' depends on 'Missing SDK Platform Android, API 24'" and can't click the Install button.

Image attached.

This is a Fresh install of VS 2015 Enterprise with Update 3.

• Hi everyone,

This is the link you'll need:

motzcod.es/post/150380059392/preparing-machines-for-xamarin-cycle

This isn't just a tip or a recommendation, these are the steps you absolutely must follow, otherwise VS2015 will just throw meaningless error after meaningless error at you. And you'll pull your hair out, as the Android SDK will tell you no such version of the Android SDK exists.

Seriously, Xamarin is horrible. The tips in James's webpage will get you going, but Xamarin does nothing to help you, or advise on what's missing, when something goes wrong.

And meanwhile, on the same laptop, Android Studio happily continues to run, without throwing hopeless error messages or demanding the latest of everything (and it's free !) Seriously, why does Xamarin demand you have the latest Android SDK, otherwise nothing - even VS2015's own one-button demo - can't use viewed or built ?!

As usual, after a _lot _of Googling and swearing, I've finally got Xamarin ready to allow me to follow a beginner's tutorial, yet I wonder how long it'll be before the next update breaks it, and cripples the environment again.

They paid $400m to buy Xamarin... now I just hope that someone at Microsoft takes control of this monster.

Mike

• MichaelGledhill.7484MichaelGledhill.7484 CHMember ✭✭
    edited October 2016

Hi everyone,

Here's the link you have to follow, to get VS2015 to stop complaining about the Android SDK being out of date (it's written by one of the top Xamarin gurus):

motzcod.es/post/150380059392/preparing-machines-for-xamarin-cycle

In my case, once I'd followed the instructions, VS2015 _was _finally able to let me view the one-button demo Android screen in its sample project. (Mind you, it was so damn slow and unstable, that I was soon heading back to Android Studio...)

Oh, and if, after following these instructions you get an error of "Connection to the layout rendered failed"....

)

... then try going to Tools \ Options, select the Xamarin \ Android tab, and change the "Java Development Kit Location" to C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.7.0_71 For some reason, Xamarin wasn't happy with the v8 files.

Mike

• Maks.0054Maks.0054 RUMember

@Pseudyx said:
    I'm having a similar issue, but slightly different. when I follow all the steps above, I have updated Xamarin to the latest stable, then in VS (Administrator) I go to Tools > Android > Android SDK Manager

with options "Updates/New" and "Installed" selected I click "Install 14 packages".

When I select the "Accept License" option I get the error "Package 'ARM 64 v8a System Image, Android API 24, revision 7' depends on 'Missing SDK Platform Android, API 24'" and can't click the Install button.

Image attached.

This is a Fresh install of VS 2015 Enterprise with Update 3.

I don't have any issues like these. I use Android SDK Manager from Android Studio.

• JuanDSJuanDS COMember

@Maks.0054 said:
    Hi!

I fixed the issue.

I wrote about it here:
    xamarin-issue-with-designer-in-visual-studio-2015.html

Regards Maksim

Thanks, I'd been two days trying to solve this problem

• TobiPopoolaTobiPopoola USMember

This xamarin is freaking annoying... geeze i have been trying this technology since like last year, but i keep dabbling from one error to another and i am freaking tired.. having this "Installed android sdk is too old version 2.4.3 or newer is required" error on every .axml page. After updating my tools to the latest tools and wasting my internet (no wifi here) still the same error, why cant this xamarin work with little or no bugs just like android studio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Is anyone at Xamarin/Microsoft listening ?

All we're asking for is a bit of usability in this (expensive, often unstable) product. If we haven't got the correct version of particular libraries installed, fine.. it's our fault... but give us a hyperlink or decent help to tell us how to fix this issue.

If we can't even build the sample app which ships with VS2015, this isn't a great first impression.

And I still _loathe _the fact that Xamarin _demands _(with a gun to your head) that you have the latest version of everything installed, otherwise VS2015 can't even build it's "dumb" sample Xamarin Android app, even though it doesn't have any dependencies on the latest Java versions or anything.

It's hardly surprising that many of us potential Xamarin customers reluctantly head back to Android Studio or Xcode (shudder...)

• ShotecITShotecIT THMember

I've given up on this piece of shit called Xamarin.

• lczzlczz BRMember
    edited January 2017

I followed this steps reported here: https://repositoriocentral.blogspot.com.br/2017/01/erro-android-sdk-is-too-old-no-design.html
    This solved my problem

• hello
    please help me.
    I have a problem with vs2015.
    It said :The Installed Android SDK is too old.Version 25.1.3 or newer is required.

what do I do?
    Please help me.