Forum Visual Studio

VS2015 RTM keeps freezing

opiantsopiants NZMember ✭✭

Visual studio keeps randomly freezing on me and tells me that it is waiting for an internal task to finish. This does not happen if I'm working on a non-xamarin project so pretty sure it's related to xamarin. I am losing productivity because of this and is really really frustrating.

I don't have clear steps of reproducing it because it happens randomly. If I attach a frozen instance of VS to a debugger, I can see that one of the threads that is stuck on waiting for something is from XamlLanguageService.dll. I don't have any idea if this is related to the problem or not though.

I'm on 3.11.666 btw.

• DavidSpeakDavidSpeak GBUniversity ✭✭

@opiants Same happens to me on new PCL projects, but curiously does not happen on existing projects. Something not quite right yet with Xamarin/VS2015 I think :-(

• CarlosCamposSVCarlosCamposSV SVMember
    edited July 2015

@opiants Even on alpha (3.11.816) happens. To me, seems like a connectivity issues to the build host. I have tried quitting the connection with my build host just in the moment is compiling. So, I think, sometimes the build host rejects the connection (once appears a message error 500) and this is were VS freezes

• opiantsopiants NZMember ✭✭

@Marabuntam @CarlosCamposSV Well, I'm a bit relieved that it's not just me. Now need to get the Xamarin team to push those fixes very soon because this is hurting productivity at the moment.

@CarlosCamposSV interesting. I have my iOS project unloaded at the moment but VS still freezes every now and then. Might try reloading my iOS project today and leave it connected to the build host and see what happens.

• CarlosCamposSVCarlosCamposSV SVMember

@opiants You tell me, yesterday doing some Pages that took my the whole night testing/freezing/closing VS/and repeat.

Hope Xamarin Team will do something soon :)

• I have a lot of freezes me too...when I deploy, when I compile etc...

• Vinnie1991Vinnie1991 USMember ✭✭

+1. Always on a build/deploy.
    Sometimes even with a clean.

It happen with all the platforms (WP8.1, Android & iOS). When I'm using a platform, the other ones are unloaded.

Not very nice to program with Xamarin this time and I think I won't renew my license!

• LucaPinascoLucaPinasco ITMember ✭✭

Is there any news about this big problem?
    or at least a workaround...

• LucaPinascoLucaPinasco ITMember ✭✭

I'm not sure, but maybe I "solved" this problem.
    I used the work around for intellisense as suggested here: https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/46185/visual-studio-2015-intellisense-regression-when-editing-xaml-files#latest

I removed now that workaround and it seems to work now....
    I will wait for an official intellisense

• Vinnie1991Vinnie1991 USMember ✭✭

@LucaPinasco you're right. When I removed the workaround of the Intellisense, VS2015 RTM doesn't hangs/crashes anymore.

But yes, Xamarin need to work! It's now choosing between two evils (constantly syntax error because of Intellisense or hanging/crashing of VS2015).
    And we pay a lot of money for this! I'm not very happy!!

• jonathanyatesjonathanyates GBMember ✭✭✭

This is happening to me all the time at the moment. It's really hammering my development.

I don't think it's anything to do with xaml intellisense because it happens even if I don't go anywhere near a xaml file. The Xamarin.Forms 1.5.0-pre1 prerelease doesn't seem to fix this either. VS 2015 regularly hang all the time, with a pop-up message saying Visual Studio Busy. I am however running and a mac under parallels with W8.1 (given up on W10, too many issues all at once). I read somewhere that the file sharing between Mac and Windows might have something to do with this. I need to test this but turning that off isn't really practical for me.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Thanks for the reports. To help consolidate information from a few similar threads, I have created a new thread for discussion of all XamarinVS issues related to VS 2015. (The new thread uses the format of the Xamarin release announcements: all of the known issues will be kept up-to-date in the first post in the thread.)

http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/47943/upstream-release-microsoft-visual-studio-2015-rtm/p1

I will now close this thread to direct further discussion onto that new thread. The new thread includes information about obtaining and attaching back a stack trace for the freezing behavior to help the XamarinVS team investigate the issue.

This discussion has been closed.