Xamarin Profiler 0.19 preview released

RodrigoMoyaRodrigoMoya ESXamarin Team Xamurai
edited August 2015 in Profiler

A new preview release of the Xamarin Profiler is available.

Please note that the Mac app bundle has been renamed (from XamarinProfiler.Mac.app to "Xamarin Profiler.app"), so the old version needs to be removed before installing this new update, so that Xamarin Studio prompts the user for the new location.

Common:

• Improve chart recorder performance
  • Fix call tree timing display
  • Remove special colouring of *Exception classes, more confusing than helpful
  • Speed up loading of static MLPDs by reducing UI refreshes

Bugs fixed:

• 31297 - [Profiler - Windows] Profiler is getting crashed when we select mlpd-v10 file in profiler windows via 'File > Open...'
  • 31624 - [Profiler - Mac] Profiler is getting crashed when user try to restart profiling
  • 32233 - [Profiler - Windows] Display tab is not getting disabled when user drill-down Call Tree data

Limitations

This is a preview release and there are definite limitations, including but not limited to:

• No official support for profiling Release builds
  • Data sets are correct at time of collection but data mining and representation is preliminary. This will improve in future releases.
  • Samples list not available on Android
  • Support for Xamarin.Mac app profiling is preliminary
  • Enabling Boehm for iOS builds results in no useful data on devices, as allocations and calls need to be disabled
  • Performance with large apps has been improved, but still lacking some

We encourage users to get in touch and file bug reports so we can continue to make this tool more useful and more stable.

• DirkFlohilDirkFlohil NLMember

When I start profiling my app (iPad) with the 'iPad 2 iOS 8.4' simulator selected in Xamarin Studio (Mac), the profiler doesn't start profiling with the mentioned simulator. It starts with the iPhone 4s simulator.
    The 'Choose Target' at the top of the profiler isn't much help either; I get a file browser if I click on it.

• JoeProJoePro CAUniversity ✭✭✭

Yeah, this is a known issue and a workaround was provided here:
    http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/comment/143328/#Comment_143328

• pradeepArutlapradeepArutla USUniversity ✭✭

@ Rodrigo Moya: 1st time XS/VS needs the profiler, it will ask you where to find it, so I just point it to the ".msi" i have downloaded, instead of .exe in program files. Now every time I launch xamarin profiler from visual studio it is prompting me to install xamarin profiler again. Can you provide me a solution for the same? How to change the selected file as from next time VS is not prompting any window for changing the same?

• RodrigoMoyaRodrigoMoya ESXamarin Team Xamurai

@pradeepArutla you need to point it to the .exe, not the .msi