Properties vs Settings

MiguelCervantesMiguelCervantes MXMember ✭✭✭

Hi everyone!

I wonder wich are the differences between MyApp.Current.Properties["SomeSettingName"] and Xam.Pluggins.Settings? Are those secure?

Best Answer

Answers

• MiguelCervantesMiguelCervantes MXMember ✭✭✭

Thanks Mr. @adamkemp!!

So, if I get things right, ISecureStorage from the XLab project is another implementation or this one is a little bit more secure?

Is there a way of hardening this settings/storage options without the need of SQL implementation?

• adamkempadamkemp USInsider, Developer Group Leader mod

I don't know anything about that implementation, but it's open source so you can just go look at what it does.

To reiterate, there is no completely secure solution here. SQL certainly isn't more secure. If someone has your device and your pin then they can access all of your data. You can try to obfuscate things by encrypting them, but unless you're asking your user for an app-specific password that he has to enter each time you decrypt it then you're not actually making it secure.

• DeveshMishraDeveshMishra USMember ✭✭

@adamkemp said:
    I don't know anything about that implementation, but it's open source so you can just go look at what it does.

To reiterate, there is no completely secure solution here. SQL certainly isn't more secure. If someone has your device and your pin then they can access all of your data. You can try to obfuscate things by encrypting them, but unless you're asking your user for an app-specific password that he has to enter each time you decrypt it then you're not actually making it secure.

Thanks for the clarification Adam. I was looking for it :)