Error retrieving parent for item: No resource found that matches given name...

Today Visual Studio crashed while I was adding a new layout file to an android project, when I returned to VS I found I was no longer able to build the project - no new code had been introduced, the project was working just fine before and now it keeps failing.

I've fought with it for hours and managed to whittle away the other errors until I'm left facing these three:

• Error retrieving parent for item: No resource found that matches given name 'Base.TextAppearance.AppCompat'
  • Error retrieving parent for item: No resource found that matches given name 'Platform.V11.AppCompat'
  • Error retrieving parent for item: No resource found that matches given name 'Platform.V11.AppCompat.Light'

I have no idea how exactly this issue occurred but I've removed AppCompat V7 and re-added it, deleted bin and obj folder contents, re-installed Xamarin, restarted my computer, adjusted the minimum and target API in the manifest, downloaded a bunch of files on the SDK manager, cleaned and rebuilt the project numerous times and poured over stack overflow, but I can't find an answer anywhere that will fix my project. Anyone encountered this before and know of a fix?

• PeanutButterCerealPeanutButterCereal USMember ✭✭

Fixed it. Turns out enough uninstalling and reinstalling of components and SDKs fixed it. (was a corrupt AppCompat V7 file)

• SuthaharJagatheesanSuthaharJagatheesan INMember ✭✭

I am also faced same issue and updated Android SDKs .its working now

Visual Studio ==> Tools ==> Android ==> Android SDK Manager (close and reopn and check, its updated or not)

Thanks