Any Peer to Peer Multicast alternative to UdpAnySourceMulticastClient ?

JulianWinterJulianWinter GBMember
edited May 2013 in Xamarin.Android

Hello
I am converting some Windows Phone 7 code, which utilises the brilliant System.Net.Sockets.UdpAnySourceMulticastClient api from the Silverlight and Windows 7 platform. I hve been using this in my XNA games, and would like to use on Android via a MonoGame conversion.

However I note that this is not implemented in the Mono For Android System.Net.Sockets package. Are there any Plans to do so ? ( Noting its a Silverlight)

Otherwsie what are the alternatives in the Mono For Android platform for implementing Peer to Peer Multicast messaging (on same WLAN) ?

I notice there is an android.net.wifi.p2p or Wi-Fi Direct api, but that is very differecnt and alien to any .NET library, and struggling to find reasonably easy examples of ist use. Ideally at the Socket level, as I would like my Android devcies to interoperate with my Windows Phone deviuces. Is that too much to ask, I mean its Multicasting at the Socket level, which UdpAnySourceMulticastClient provided.

Any advice would be appreciated

Many Thanks

Jules

• ChrisHonselaarChrisHonselaar NLBeta ✭✭✭

UdpAnySourceMulticastClient is obsolete. Use UdpClient instead.

You could check the ProtoPad source for some basic UDP sample code (both sending and receiving) on Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.iOS.

• JulianWinterJulianWinter GBMember

Chris

Thanks veryinteresting.

udpClient.JoinMulticastGroup(multicastIpAddress, TTL) Looks interesting

• MassimilianoFabbriMassimilianoFabbri USMember ✭✭

Hello Chris. I'm trying to find a way to write a multicast socket enabled app
    I would to comunicate between two or more android devices, for text and file share.
    Which is the best approach ? I've found the NetworcommDotNet class, but don't seems to me It can manage multicast connection. Do There is around any kickstart code for Android disponsable ?