Reference 'Mono.Android' & 'mscorlib' not resolved warnings

RobsoftRobsoft GBMember ✭✭

Hi folks, I've seen reference to this situation elsewhere on the forum, but the suggestions made elsewhere don't seem to help, I'm starting to think I might have a slightly corrupt installation...

The 2 errors I get are;

/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/Xamarin/Android/Xamarin.Android.Common.targets:
Warning: Reference 'Mono.Android, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=84e04ff9cfb79065' not resolved

/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/Xamarin/Android/Xamarin.Android.Common.targets:
Warning: Reference 'mscorlib, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e' not resolved

I can reproduce this just by starting a new project and adding an Android manifest. Every single time I build the project I get those 2 warnings added (so that by the time I've done 5 builds in a morning, I've got 10 warnings etc). For the time-being I've toggled the 'warnings' button on the build output tab so that I don't see them, but it would be nice to make use of warnings again!

I'm on the stable channel, and doing a 'clean all' on the solution makes no difference to the behaviour.

From the about screen (and I think I've blanked out anything confidential in here):

=== Xamarin Studio ===

Version 4.0.8 (build 2)
Installation UUID: xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx
Runtime:
    Mono 2.10.12 (mono-2-10/c9b270d)
    GTK 2.24.16
    GTK# (2.12.0.0)
    Package version: 210120000

=== Apple Developer Tools ===

Xcode 4.6.2 (2067.2)
Build 4H1003

=== Xamarin.Mac ===

Xamarin.Mac: Not Installed

=== Xamarin.Android ===

Version: 4.6.6 (Indie Edition)
Android SDK: /Users/rob/Library/Developer/Xamarin/android-sdk-mac_x86
    Supported Android versions:
        2.1   (API level 7)
        2.2   (API level 8)
        2.3   (API level 10)
        3.1   (API level 12)
        4.0   (API level 14)
        4.0.3 (API level 15)
        4.1   (API level 16)
        4.2   (API level 17)
Java SDK: /usr

=== Xamarin.iOS ===

Version: 6.2.5.2 (Starter Edition)
Hash: 79bad7e
Branch: 
Build date: 2013-14-05 19:18:45-0400

=== Build Information ===

Release ID: 400080002
Git revision: 0a09117dec1aed78c735ac46f7a50ae7d12f7a7a
Build date: 2013-05-16 19:36:29+0000
Xamarin addins: 78d0437c3f92ae13042f81e5fd9487e2c28d5fbc

=== Operating System ===

Mac OS X 10.8.3
Darwin Millie.local 12.3.0 Darwin Kernel Version 12.3.0
    Sun Jan  6 22:37:10 PST 2013
    root:xnu-2050.22.13~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

• ChrisHonselaarChrisHonselaar NLBeta ✭✭✭

It does sound a bit like an installation problem - have you tried re-installing? (or switching between Stable/Beta/Alpha channels)

• RobsoftRobsoft GBMember ✭✭

Thanks Chris I'll give that a go tonight. Is there anything I need to do before uninstalling etc, with respect to my license? Or just uninstall, reinstall and hook up the license from the website again if necessary?
    Thanks for your help!

No problem! I never did anything special - it should just hook up again.

• TommyBaggettTommyBaggett USUniversity ✭✭✭

I am seeing the same warnings with the Xamarin "Field Service" app as described in this post by Rob. I switched from the stable update channel to beta, then rebuilt the app. Zero errors/warnings, all good. Then I switched back to the stable channel, rebuilt the Field Service app, and now see the warnings again.

Is this a known issue with no resolution available on the current stable channel builds of Xamarin Studio Mac (4.0.8 build 2) and Xamarin.Android (4.6.8)? I would prefer to use the stable channel for work to be released. Thanks...

===========

/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/Xamarin/Android/Xamarin.Android.Common.targets: Warning: Reference 'mscorlib, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e' not resolved (FieldService.Android)

/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/Xamarin/Android/Xamarin.Android.Common.targets: Warning: Reference 'Mono.Android, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=84e04ff9cfb79065' not resolved (FieldService.Android)

/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/Xamarin/Android/Xamarin.Android.Common.targets: Warning: Reference 'Mono.Android.GoogleMaps, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=84e04ff9cfb79065' not resolved (FieldService.Android)

/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/Xamarin/Android/Xamarin.Android.Common.targets: Warning: Reference 'mscorlib, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e' not resolved (FieldService.Android)

/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/Xamarin/Android/Xamarin.Android.Common.targets: Warning: Reference 'Mono.Android, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=84e04ff9cfb79065' not resolved (FieldService.Android)

• AndrewFernandesAndrewFernandes CAMember

I'm getting the same thing with a fresh Android ICS project:

/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/Xamarin/Android/Xamarin.Android.Common.targets:  warning : Reference 'mscorlib, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e' not resolved
    /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/Xamarin/Android/Xamarin.Android.Common.targets:  warning : Reference 'Mono.Android, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=84e04ff9cfb79065' not resolved

I'm using Studio 4.0.9, Xamarin.Android Version: 4.7.9 (Indie Edition), on the beta channel.

Oops - sorry guys, been away for a week or so but your comments have just pinged this back up on my radar. I tried this on the beta and stable channel, same problem. Clean/fresh project, or my various working projects. Same problem every time, and as you go on with it the number of 'duplicate' warnings just increases.

I haven't tried the uninstall/reinstall approach yet but I will have a chance to do this in the next day or two.

Would be great if someone from Xamarin could pop up and acknowledge there is a problem (and even better if there's a workaround!)

• jpotts18jpotts18 USMember

I'm having the same issue. Has anyone figured out how to resolve it?

• YoorekYoorek USMember

Same here - uninstall, manually remove all traces of xamarin in system, install new version. No change - clean project freshly created with default template and ... same warnings. I suspect Xamarin answer - it's not critical, ignore it.
    Evaluating XS for production platform for business apps - cannot ignore it.

• johnkountzjohnkountz USMember

same here.

on the 30 day trial.

if this is not fixed, our enterprise order will probably go away.

I haven't managed to resolve it. I suspect from the text of the warnings themselves its environmental, possibly caused because of previous installations of MonoDevelop or the Mono runtime etc - I really don't know.

It is important for Xamarin to at least acknowledge this problem, just having an engineer pop up and ask a few questions, try to reproduce it etc would be appreciated.

I'm a noob with Mono & Android and the fact that compiler warnings are basically rendered useless to me (i just ignore everything at the moment) is pretty annoying.

This sounds serious and blocking - have you contacted Xamarin directly? ([email protected])

No, I must admit I haven't done that yet - although I just noticed the 4.0.9 release notes include 'Build errors and warnings are not accumulated anymore between builds' - I'm hopeful that this will simply limit the problem to just a single occurrence of the same 2 or 3 lines every time, and not the current situation where the 2 or 3 lines get added to the warning list on every build, until you have 20+ warnings over a morning and you give up on it :-)

I'm bogged-down in non-Xamarin client work at the moment but with any luck I'll get a chance to install this tonight and let you all know if it's made any difference. I can definitely live with a couple of bogus warning each build if the previous ones are getting cleared down.

And I can confirm that 4.0.9 now does clear all previous warnings when you build, so all that happens now is that I see the same 2 (or 3, depending on the project) warnings each time - they don't accumulate out of control. Cool, I can live with that.

Though obviously I hope it foes get fixed somewhere down the line!

• DanBelcherDanBelcher USMember ✭✭

I am using Xamarin Studio 4.0.9 (build 12) with BE licenses for MonoTouch and MonoDroid and I get these warnings every single time I build:

/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/Xamarin/Android/Xamarin.Android.Common.targets: Warning: Reference 'mscorlib, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e' not resolved (TestProject.Droid)

/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/Xamarin/Android/Xamarin.Android.Common.targets: Warning: Reference 'Mono.Android, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=84e04ff9cfb79065' not resolved (TestProject.Droid)

/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/Xamarin/Android/Xamarin.Android.Common.targets: Warning: Reference 'OpenTK-1.0, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=84e04ff9cfb79065' not resolved (TestProject.Droid)

If anyone knows a way to silence these warnings, I'm sure many in this thread would love to hear it. Thanks.

• AtsushiEnomotoAtsushiEnomoto JPMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Hello,

I have some comments on reference XXX not found part of it.

Note that it is NEVER a blocking issue (note that it is not an error but warning). They never blocked building dll. (Some people seem expected this my right answer.) Unless a problem is a blocker we won't bring unnecessary changes to our stable product and risk everyone.

We have never received any bugzilla report about that, yet we observed those in the past. After some attempts to fix that we don't see the warning anymore.

And no, to my understanding it has nothing to do with any previous installation, or related to Xamarin Studio. It rather sounds like you tried it without recent bugfixed version of Xamarin.Android.

If you still experience the issue with the latest 4.7.x please file a bug with a reproducible project. We cannot fix bugs that are not informed us.

Hope this sounds fair enough for you. Thanks.

• GerryHighGerryHigh USBeta ✭✭✭

Hey @eno, just an FYI that this still exists in the Alpha channel (XS 4.1.7, Xamarin.Android 4.8.0, Mono 3.2.0).

I have just ignored it and haven't bugged it but thought you'd like to know it is still out there.

Gerry

• AtsushiEnomotoAtsushiEnomoto JPMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

If you could provide the actual project with us that's great. Thanks.