Visual Studio Performance problem on big Solutions

zahikramerzahikramer ILMember ✭✭✭

Hi.
I'm starting to feel Performance issues on big solutions ( i have 19 projs on mine as in the pic)
Visual studio + Xamarin starting to hang and lag.
I uninstalled Xamarin.VS and performance back to be good, so i assume it's Xamarin with it's project types.

There should be performance optimizing considerations when building next Xamarin.VS release.

• VictorGarciaAprea.9996VictorGarciaAprea.9996 USXamarin Team Xamurai

Hi zahi,

We have been recently fixing several issues related to solution loading performance. The bits containing these fixes are not yet in the Alpha channel, but will get there soon. In the meantime, if you want to give them an early try you can download them from here:

http://xvs.xamarin.com/Xamarin.VisualStudio_3.11.747.msi

If you could give this a try and let me know if this fixes the performance issues you are seeing, that would be great.

Please note this bits are pre-alpha, but after installing them you can easily revert to your current bits if you want to, by installing your current MSI.

thanks,

• zahikramerzahikramer ILMember ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015

@VGA
    Thanks victor.
    @Xamarin-Ian just replied me about that, and we think it's because Resharper
    and not Xamarin (maybe a little bit Xamarin but i'm not sure)
    he is installing Resharper on a 50 projs Solution now and checking it.

i'll glad to install your bits , but on more stable stage (i'm disabling/enabling Resharper now to work)
    please signal me when this bug (can you point me bug number on bugzilla?) is done.

Thank you very much!

• hvaughanhvaughan USMember ✭✭✭

@zahikramer
    I also use Resharper and have had issues with it in the past but everything has been going good recently (fingers crossed). I would suggest trying out the Funnel Visual Studio extension for solutions that large. It will allow you to start a solution and only load the projects you want to at that time.

Even though this may not be a Visual Studio issue, it may help with performance anyway.

thanks @hvaughan .
    I'll look at Funnel more closely, but as i can see,
    it's not a magic what it is doing, right?
    It only let you choose every time which project to load and which to unload.
    Am i wrong?

• hvaughanhvaughan USMember ✭✭✭

Yea exactly. Nothing you could not simply do manually, but it can help, especially if your performance issues are worse when first opening up the project.

Thank you very much @hvaughan
    :)

• BlueRajaBlueRaja USMember ✭✭

Perhaps obvious, but: make sure you have Resharper's "solution-wide analysis" off (in VS, double-click the circle in the lower right)

Thanks @DanielPflughoeft .
    Already did. :)
    The problem exist after that.
    Xamarin found that now and working on it.

Hi everyone,

The bits I referred to in my last post in this thread, which contains several fixes to improve solution loading time, are now in the Alpha channel. If you are seeing bad performance when loading solutions with multiple projects (or handling large solutions in general), please give this build a try and let us know!

thanks

Thanks @VGA
    i'll try it and let you know.

much improved @VGA !
    Thanks.
    I'll continue to use it this week and let you know on any problems.
    Thanks

@zahikramer Glad to hear that! Thanks for giving this an early try, and please let us know of any issues you find.

There are still performance problems.
    i don't know if they solved and start again,
    or they were exist all the time
    (i use VS+Xamarin+Resharper+Git Extensions + few VS extensions)
    see on your private mail also for me sending u sample project

• SahandSahand USMember
    edited May 28

Hi guys,
    performance issues are still there even in the most updated version of xamarin!

visual studio 2017 version 15.2 (26430.6)
    xamarin 4.5.0.443

Visual studio freezes constantly and reports that xamarin extension has perfomance issues
    (as you can see it adds around 20 seconds)

Please some one help me :'(

• knottydevknottydev USMember ✭✭

"You can improve 'Solution Load' performance by disabling 'Xamarin for Visual Studio' extension"

Takes a good 2 minutes to load a template / blank solution with 2 projects! Meanwhile, I can load my MVC solution with 9 projects in 10 seconds. This just par for the course with Xamarin? Maybe I should have just learned Kotlin.... :(