Forum Xamarin Xamarin.iOS

Would an iPad suffice for both iPhone / iPad development?

tbktbk USMember ✭✭
edited May 2013 in Xamarin.iOS

Hello

If this post is inappropriate in any way/shape or form, please let me know and I'll delete it and apologize profusely.

I bought an iPad4 and an old iphone3gs that I got cheap specifically for testing. The iPhone runs ios6 without issues (no Siri).

I suspect the next major version won't work on the 3GS as that's just a hunch. To be honest,I don't need an iPhone for calls or texting(I don't care about that) and don't use the devices other than to go on safari or use a few apps or take pictures.

All I need is a wifi and I'm fine. I don't have a data plan with either the iPad or iPhone as it would be a waste of money for me. I only tend to get things that I need rather than want.

Having said that, I got to thinking: if the iphone3gs won't work with ios7, I know the ipad4 will.

Rather than drop another $300-$500 down on a used iphone4 or iphone5 just to test, couldn't I just create an iPhone app (not a universal app) and deploy to the iPad and have it run in compatibility mode? My understanding is that any iPhone app runs on the iPad in compatibility mode. I guess the only gotcha would be universal apps (but I could run in the simulator)

I don't like it (as its a hack )but I could make a code change in a universal app (use the same xib for both idioms to temporarily see the universal app look like an iPhone when running on the iPad??)

I realize we need a physical device to test the app on. Just wondering if deploying an iPhone app on the iPad (in compatibility mode) would be a jug different than if it was on an iPhone (as far as rendering goes?)

Is it accurate to say it will look exactly the same on the iPhone when running in compat mode on the iPAd? MAybe this is a politically incorrect question and better left for me to contact Apple directly?

I'll get another iPhone once my 3GS no longer runs the latest iOS unless I can just use compatibility mode and then spend the saved money on something like the Mac dev program and perhaps same in Mac (or droid,etc..). :-).

Thanks

• StuartLodgeStuartLodge USBeta ✭✭✭

Yes - as long as you didn't need any of the phone-specific parts (e.g. voice calls) then I think you can get by with just using an iPad :)

I've also got a very old iPhone which probably won't work with the next generation ios... but I do also have an iPod touch for some form factor testing too.

• tbktbk USMember ✭✭

good point. I did not even think about the iPod touch...