Forum Xamarin.Forms

Deploy to Windows

JesseMJesseM USMember ✭✭

Seems silly that I have to ask, but I can't seem to find any info. Is there any documentation for deploying to Windows? I have a Xamarin.Forms project with a Windows 8.1 App and I want to get it on my Surface Pro running 8.1. Any special process for this?

Best Answer

Answers

• JesseMJesseM USMember ✭✭

Thanks Craig!

• KeithRoweKeithRowe USMember

What about packaging for install to other devices, e.g. running on a tablet?

• CraigDunnCraigDunn USXamarin Team Xamurai

@KeithRow per this SO question, looks like you need to highlight the project, then Project > Store > Create App Packages.

For local (development only) computers, in the folder that it creates, right-click and run the powershell script to install.
    Otherwise you'll want to choose the upload to Windows Store options.

• KeithRoweKeithRowe USMember

Thanks, @CraigDunn - found this and it was helpful. Has anyone found a non-Store method that is less troublesome for end users (like the Ad-Hoc distribution for iOS or packages that install easily for Android)? I have an app I want to distribute just to my specific end users (i.e. not be available to everyone on the Store) but at the same time, i want the install process to be easier than having to make sure you run PowerScript in admin mode for the end users.

Sorry, I answered Thanks before without actually having the time to try this. I was actually not asking how to debug it. I know how to do that, just as you describe. But I was asking how to deploy it to my Surface Pro 3?

Okay, I figured it out for anyone who runs into this. You need to install a developer license on your remote device (Windows Phone or Tablet, in my case it is a Surface Pro). You can do this by installing visual studio and it should prompt you to create a developer license.

Then you need to install Visual Studio Remote Debugging tools on the remote device.

With both your dev machine and the remote device on the same network, you can then select Remote Machine as your debug device and specify the remote device.

You can also right click on your Windows project, go to properties, and under Debug->Target Device chose Remote Machine and do a search for it.