Forum Xamarin Xamarin.Forms

How to open a page from a notification

I have a shared project that uses DependencyService to send a local Notification on android.
But from this notification I can only start new Android specific activities or services using Intent.

How can I make it show one of the pages i already have in the shared project?

Answers

• AndrewMobileAndrewMobile USMember ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015

you need to play with the navigation stack to show the page you need
    can't you call PushAsync as usual?

• JanGoessensJanGoessens NLMember

No, I can't call any of the Navigation methods. I think those can only be called from xamarin.forms pages. And seeing that I can only get to an android activity or service, I can't do that

edited June 2015

sure you can
    (Xamarin.Forms.Application.Current.MainPage as NavigationPage).PushAsync(..)
    NavigationPage basically implements the navigation service so you can enumerate the page stack and play with the pages

• JanGoessensJanGoessens NLMember

When I try that line of code, I get the following error:
    System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

you need to put that code in a place where you know the native host Activity is already created

what exactly is null from all that? is Application.Current?
    aslo, I assumed you have a NavigationPage as the root page (MainPage of your app)

• adamkempadamkemp USInsider, Developer Group Leader mod

I posted this in a duplicate post:

MessagingService is a good way to post a global in-process notification that some other code can handle. You could handle the message in your App class in the PCL.

edited June 2015

you need to make sure first the Android Activity is created when doing anything related to Xamarin Forms

• I am getting the same Object Reference Not Set (...) on

(Xamarin.Forms.Application.Current.MainPage as NavigationPage).PushAsync(..)

It is because "MainPage as NavigationPage" evaluate as null.

Any idea how to move from the Notification to a PCL page ?

• adamkempadamkemp USInsider, Developer Group Leader mod

PushAsync only works with a NavigationPage. If you want to be able to go back then you have to make the MainPage of your app a NavigationPage. If you don't need to be able to go back then you can just overwrite the MainPage with a new page.