Alpha Release: Xamarin.Android 5.1.4, Cycle 5 – Service Release 2

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited June 2015 in Xamarin.Android

This thread has now been closed to direct all further updates about this service release onto the new Beta release thread:

http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/44149/beta-release-xamarin-android-5-1-4-cycle-5-service-release-2/p1

For anyone who has been commenting on this thread, feel free to continue the conversation in that new thread.

Windows

• Xamarin.VisualStudio_3.11.658.msi (5d30dad)

Mac

• mono-android-5.1.4-8.pkg (4e3eea6)

Reason for release: Additional bug fixes for the "Cycle 5" Stable Release on April 29. (See the release blog for a short description of "Cycles" and "Service Releases.")

Release notes: http://developer.xamarin.com/releases/android/xamarin.android_5/xamarin.android_5.1/#Xamarin.Android_5.1.4

Date published: See https://releases.xamarin.com/.

NOTE: Alpha versions have not yet completed the full suite of tests by the Xamarin QA team. That said, customer reports of any regressions (or bugs that are incorrectly marked fixed) are still much appreciated, even if the problem would have eventually been caught during the full QA testing process.

Previous versions, downgrading

You can downgrade back to the current Stable version by switching updater channels.

Older versions (from before April 29)

If needed, you can downgrade back to older versions (from before April 29) by manually reinstalling each old package. See the "Previous versions, downgrading" section on the previous Stable release thread for the older downgrade links.

Guidelines for this thread

1. This first post will be updated regularly.

2. Hopefully this thread will help answer "what might break if I update to this release?"

3. If you find a new problem that is specific to this version, please file a bug report (if this link redirects to the top-level https://kb.xamarin.com/ page the first time you click it, try clicking it once more).

4. Please discuss older bugs that are unchanged in this release compared to the previous Stable version in Bugzilla instead.

5. Of course for questions and discussions about topics other than bugs, feel free start new forum threads.

Fixes for remaining known issues from the April 29 Stable Channel release

• Non-public Bug 28995 - [Android] On certain devices, certain apps crash frequently due to "System.ExecutionEngineException: SIGILL".

• Bug 30371 - [XamarinVS] [Android] Project Properties display incorrect default values for "BundleAssemblies" and "EmbedAssembliesIntoApk" if they are not explicitly specified. This means that these properties can "automatically" change to incorrect values when you update other properties under "Project Properties -> Android Options". The incorrect values can cause secondary symptoms like Bug 30334 where breakpoints are not hit in the Debug configuration.

• Bug 30072 - [Xamarin Studio] [Android] Xamarin Studio sometimes crashes with SIGABRT in gtk_text_view_validate_onscreen() after password is entered during "Import an Existing Key" in "Build -> Archive for Publishing -> Sign and Distribute" workflow.

• Non-public Bug 29538 - [Android] Profiling via the graphical Xamarin Profiler ("Run -> Start Profiling") causes the app to crash at startup.

• Non-public Bug 29725 - [Xamarin Studio] [iOS] [Android] Expressions in the Watch window are cleared each time you stop debugging.

Remaining known issues from the April 29 Stable Channel release, with more common or severe issues near the top

• Bug 30318 - [Android] Windows only: Breakpoints in PCL projects do not work after cleaning solution, redeploying, and restarting debugging. Partial workaround: delete all the bin folders in the solution after cleaning. (The next Alpha build should include this fix.)

• Non-public Bug 30057 - [Android] Windows only: the debugger will not be able resolve breakpoints unless "Shared Runtime" is ON and the Linker is OFF (under "Project Properties -> Android Options" in Visual Studio or "Project Options -> Android Build" in Xamarin Studio). (The next Alpha build should include this fix.)

• Bug 29326 - [Android] String resources defined in NuGet packages overwrite string resources defined in app project, causing the displayed app name to be incorrect for example. Workaround: avoid using the same string key that is used in the NuGet packages.

• Non-public Bug 30481, Bug 29557 - [Mono] [Android] [iOS] SqlConnection.GetSchema() fails with "SourceTable is required to be a non-empty string".

• Bug 30548 - [Android] Under certain conditions new threads take several seconds to start. This problem seems to be triggered by Xamarin.Insights 1.10. Partial workarounds: upgrade Xamarin.Insights to version 1.10.3, downgrade to version 1.9, or remove it entirely.

• Bug 29731 - [Android] Android.Bluetooth.BluetoothAdapter.Enable is incorrectly marked as [Obsolete("deprecated")] for API level 20 and higher.

New known issues

• Bug 26841 - [XamarinVS] [Android] [iOS] "The process cannot access the file ... MyApplication.dll.mdb because it is being used by another process" after debugging an app, stopping debugging, and starting debugging again. Although technically not "new" compared to Cycle 5 – Service Release 1, preliminary testing suggests that this problem might have become more common in this Alpha version.

• Non-public bug 30914 - [Android] "No resource found that matches the given name ... with value '@color/deep_purple_a200'". This issue will affect any color name that includes a capital letter, not just "deep_purple_A200".

• Non-public bug 30990 - [Android] Assertion failure at run time "condition `cur_slot == class->vtable_size' not met" for AOT'd apps on some x86 devices.

• Non-public bug 30984 - [Android] Profiling on the command line (for example via log:sample) produces 0-byte profile.mlpd files.

EDIT June 11: Correction: the fixes for 30318 and 30057 will be in the next Alpha build, which should be available in less than 1 week.

• GeorgeCookGeorgeCook PEUniversity ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015

anyone else got a problem where suddenly all android apps crash immediately on launch no error on device (Samsung Galaxy tab S).

Was fine until I updated - now I can't run anything on the galaxy tab. Don't want to rollback if I can avoid it - loading times have gone down by 4 seconds, and builds are much quicker on the alpha stream.

Xamarin.Android
    Version: 5.1.4.8 (Business Edition)

[Edit : it's just use shared mono-runtime that crashes on device.. oh, and release build (with linker too) - in all cases when that happens, the app bombs on startup. how can I debug it? (especially the latter)] thx.

shared mono-runtime is agreat though.. super quick!

• DavidDancyDavidDancy AUMember ✭✭✭✭

Don't know if it's related, but I get an exception during initialisation of the MainPage, something like Method not found: 'Android.Runtime.JNIEnv.StartCreateInstance'. This bombs the app. In my case this opens the debugger at the offending line.
    It started after I upgraded to Xamarin Studio Alpha 5.9.4.5. However I can't tell if that upgrade was the cause of the problem or whether it came in when I also updated my Androidv4 support package to 22.2.0.0. Could be either, could be both. I have a support case lodged about it, but haven't been able to check emails to find out if the problem is down to me or a genuine Xamarin issue.
    Sorry I can' t be more helpful... :neutral:

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

This thread has now been closed to direct all further updates about this service release onto the new Beta release thread:

http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/44149/beta-release-xamarin-android-5-1-4-cycle-5-service-release-2/p1

For anyone who has been commenting on this thread, feel free to continue the conversation in that new thread.

This discussion has been closed.