Launch Screen - best practise

MartHughMartHugh USMember ✭✭✭

We are putting together our first Xamarin.IOS App and need to set up Launch Screens.

I understand it is possible to do this using a Storyboard, or by using a set of images. The storyboard sounds more extensible, but I understand this is limited to the current and future device models? We need to support older models (iPhone 4,5 etc) but we are limiting to IOS 8 onwards.

The fact that the storyboard is not backward compatible suggests a file image set solution, however I am told that in order to get compatibility approval on iPhone 6+ we need to use a storyboard.

Is it possible achieve launch screens by having a mix of storyboard and file images? And if so what is the best procedure for doing this.

Also, just to clarify, is the Launch Screen synonymous with a splash screen, or should we be doing both of these.

Thanks

• MichaelBluesteinMichaelBluestein USInsider, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭✭

Hi Mart,

If you create a new Xamarin project, the template will add a file called LaunchScreen.xib. You can edit it in Xcode. It's preferable over the old image approach as the former will allow you to design a launch screen that will adapt to multiple screen sizes.

• MartHughMartHugh USMember ✭✭✭

Hi Michael, many thanks for your response. I had seen this file and loaded it into Xcode, but was trying to tie it in with something I had read somewhere which said to use a storyboard - which I assumed was implying I should be doing it from with the Xamarin IDE storyboard. All clear now. Thanks.

• BradWhiteBradWhite USMember ✭✭

Seems like this doesn't answer the question.
    It gives a way to edit the storyboard, and that's useful.
    But what about the bigger question of whether the best practice is to use the storyboard at all?
    Once 8 is ubiquitous the problem goes away.
    But what should we do until then?

Thanks,
    Brad.

• MartHughMartHugh USMember ✭✭✭

Even at 8 you have to either use the Xamarin storyboard or the Xcode storyboard dont you ?

The biggest problem I am having with either of these is being able to set proportional constraints. All I seem to be able to achieve is setting fixed offsets between components on a page which is no good for device independence. What I would really like to do is (say) position an image with its top at 1/8 of the height of the view. Or, add 3 views which take up (say) 20%, 30%, 50% of the vertical height. Coded constraints obviously allow this, but coded constraints are not allowed with Launch files.

• BradWhiteBradWhite USMember ✭✭

@MartHugh
    You are asking a different question than I thought you were.
    Sorry for the confusion.
    I caught this

We need to support older models (iPhone 4,5 etc)

and missed the import of this

but we are limiting to IOS 8 onwards.

So when you asked

Is it possible achieve launch screens by having a mix of storyboard and file images? And if so what is the best procedure for doing this.

i thought you were asking about the best practice for supporting older versions and supporting 6+.

If you just need to support 8 and higher then 8 is already essentially ubiquitous for you. 8: -)

Now I'm interested in your real question. @MichaelBluestein did hint that storyboards

will allow you to design a launch screen that will adapt to multiple screen sizes.

but I haven't found any details on that.

Also, just to clarify, is the Launch Screen synonymous with a splash screen, or should we be doing both of these.

Yes, although see here where the Apple HIG explains their vision of the launch screen and say

In particular, the launch image isn’t an opportunity to provide an “app entry experience,” such as a splash screen

• MarthughieMarthughie GBMember ✭✭

@BradWhite , thanks for your reply.

Sorry if my post wasn't clearer, but I think you have it right anyway. We are using a storyboard and it seems to be OK. The biggest problem I had was having to set the constraints using a visual tool rather than programmatically. I think I got there in the end :-)

• sudhir.9350sudhir.9350 INUniversity ✭✭

hi i have a question regarding splash screen.

I have an app where i want to see splash screen. in my splash screen i have an image and label. In the lable i want to show version number but at run time as version number can be changed by subsequent releases.

So is it possbile to modify label text in launchscreen.xib dynamically?

I tried adding lable and give it's name property but then i am not able to build the application and its give me following error.
    Task "IBTool" execution -- FAILED

so anyone has any idea?