Forum Xamarin.iOS

Enabling NSZombieEnabled from Xamarin Studio

TonyLenziTonyLenzi USMember

According to an iOS crash log, I am getting a EXC_BAD_ACCESS after several orientation changes of a master detail view with a map. If I was working in Xcode, I'd set the NSZombieEnabled flag and debug the situation to try to determine where it is starting.

Is there a way to do this from Xamarin Studio? Is there another recommended approach for debugging this situation?

I'm not sure NSZombieEnabled would help much anyways as the problem is likely to have been compiled back in the Xamarin code. I'm looking for a good way to see what was not cleaned up correctly and lead to this event.

• ChrisHonselaarChrisHonselaar NLBeta ✭✭✭

NSZombieEnabled should be active automatically when running a Debug build in the simulator. Beyond that, I'm not sure.

• TonyLenziTonyLenzi USMember

Correct, however, this crash only happens on the device, not in the simulator.

• ChrisHonselaarChrisHonselaar NLBeta ✭✭✭

Could you attach the crash log? Are you using Sgen or regular GC?

Using gdb together with Fruitstrap on the device can apparently be helpful when debugging native crashes. Then again, I might be talking out of my ass since I've never tried it before. But I have seen this mentioned in the context of dealing with native crashes and Monotouch.