For me, the community (that’s you ) is the most important thing to be productive with Xamarin.
Without the help of the community it’s very hard (if not impossible) to find an entry in the Xamarin-world in an acceptable time.
And… the most important thing for the community is... yes the forum!
And.. therefore, the forum should be as good/useful as possible and also should have a very high priority for Xamarin (as the community takes a (very!) lot of load from Xamarin’s shoulders.)..!
I now work since about 9 months with Xamarin and use the forum almost every day.
It’s not as good / finished as forums like “Stack Overflow”, but I really like it and find it useful
As I have started with Xamarin.Forms and have posted a new thread, it was visible on the first page for about 1-2 days (O.K. I have a big screen )
If I today post a new thread (in the .Forms-form), it takes hours until it is shifted to page 2..3…
So... if I don’t receive an answer within a few hours, there is a big chance, that I don’t will receive an answer (as normally, no user has the time to surf thru the further pages to see my unanswered thread).
Also, some further things should be changed/added to make it more useful.
Therefore below my (personal) suggestions to the forum.
Please vote here and add your further suggestions if you are missing something important for you.
Hopefully we then are heard from Xamarin and (at least some of) the suggestions are overtaken in the near future
Link to drafted postings:
- As I have started with Xamarin, I have searched for a documentation to the forum (as I had problems, how to use it and post a formatted message like this ) and found… nothing
- Therefore I have posted some information’s to the forum (and others) in this thread: http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/36821/quickstart-guide-to-start-developing-with-xamarin-forms#latest
- If you have a look at the postings of some new users, you can see that this is a problem
- Therefore: Please add an “official” documentation of how to use the forum or - if one should exist - please make it "visible"
- And.. if the composer would work as it should (formatting-options), the documentation would become smaller
Simply make the “Like” Icon visible:
- If I write a new (longer) message, the message is stored as draft automatically from time to time…
- The problem is, that the most users don’t know, that the drafts can be accessed under this link: http://forums.xamarin.com/drafts
- Therefore: Please add a simple link (“Drafts” or similar) in the surface of the forum (personal page) - this would help your users to save time, if the forum has crashed (or the user has done a mistake himself) by typing a looong message
Please add some functions to the “Flag”-Icon:
- There are a lot of users in the community that spend a lot of time to help other users over the Xamarin-hurdles…
- The “Like” is one way to say “Thank you - you really have helped me!”
- I have posted a thread “You Like what you like..?” here: http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/36721/you-like-what-you-like#latest
- So... I think that (especially) new users (that should use it) don’t know, that they can/should Like a helping hand, as they don’t know, that there is a symbol to the message, that only becomes visible, when they drive the mouse over the message
- Therefore: Please make the Like-Icon visible per default
Please add a delete-function:
- I think, the “Flag”-Icon is thought to flag messages / users that post spam or messages that contains text “below the belt”
- I have seen, that some extremely helpful users have some “Abuse”-flags in their profile for nothing (no text “below the belt”
- I don’t know (don’t think so), that there is a way to “clean-out” these flags for the users…?
- Therefore: Please add a further message that is showed, when the “Flag-Icon” is clicked ("With this Flag, you are marking the user with the Abuse-flag - you really want to do this") or something similar (so that the user knows what he does) and give the “abuse-marked” users a chance to (let) remove the Abuse-Flags
Please add further filter-functions:
- Own post’s cannot be deleted from the user. He has to ask support to delete his own post.
- This is not nice for the user (if he has posted wrong text or multiple time the same message) and also is not nice for the Xamarin support as they should have more meaningful work to do
- Therefore: It would be nice, If user can delete his own post (at least, if there are not postings of other users to the thread after the initial posting of the message)
- As I wrote on top, today a new posted message is gone to page 2..3.. in no time
- Therefore new filter-functions with e.g. “unanswered questions” and “unanswered posts” would be helpful to see which users stay in the dark
- Therefore: Please add new filter functions
Please "Re-Add" the user-country:
- Please take care, that the change “Edit <-> Preview” also works with Questions (like it works with normal "Discussions")
- If a user have found the solutions for a problem himself and post the solution to his (own) Question, he is not able to mark the question as answered and will receive messages, that he should have a look at the question as he have received some answer
- Therefore: Please make it possible, that a user can state his own posting as answer (whereby this not should count as answer for the “answer-badges”)
- As I have started with Xamarin, the country of the user was showed in his profile
- As (I think it was a bug) mostly the wrong country was assigned (US) and I have not found a function to correct it, I finally have sent a mail to support to please correct it (what then was done)
- A few days later, I have noted, that the country was no more showed in the profile (where it - strange wise still is visible I the mobile-surface -> access forum from phone). This also is a way to “solve” a problem
- As I think, the country a user come from is a meaningful information (e.g. to contact a user from the same country), please show the country further and make it changable
Further, I think, you are aware, that the forum sometimes seem to be “overloaded” and are on the way to “up-power” it…
I have further wishes (like add also a preview in the internal mail-system and more...) but these things are not really important for me.
I think, that various of the suggestions should be easy to implement and would be happy, if some of them (or all ) would be changed/implemented in the future.
Please vote here, if you have the same mindset and/or add your suggestions in further messages.
And.. thanks for reading this...