Displaying images of different device resolutions

MartHughMartHugh USMember ✭✭✭

What is the best accepted solution for displaying images in an App which need to be displayed on a wide variety of resolutions.

Should I aim to make one good quality image for the highest resolution device and then simple show it relative to each devices width & height, or, should I be producing a set of images. If the latter how do I decide which image should be rendered on which device.

Initially I am thinking about the splash screen, but this is a general point I guess.

Thanks.

• nick5454nick5454 USUniversity ✭✭✭

I personally stay away from a custom splash screen because the size is huge. With ios8 you can add controls to limit the size. I usually just keep them high resolution now, because it's rare someone uses a 4s. But if you want you have mypic.png, [email protected], [email protected] for high resolution. Personally I think it's a waste of time and I do everything in photoshop/illustrator at the best resolution possible and let the system shrink when necessary,

The icon is an exception, and I put in a optimized for size image for all launch images that is one base color, then what I call the landing page(splash page) I do this

viewDidLoad - set background to the image used for launch image, the my topView.alpha = 0; viewDidAppear - UIView.Animate(0,.3, UIViewANimation.EaseIn, () ={ topVoew.alpha = 1; }, null);

This will fade in your splash screen

• KMullinsKMullins USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Personally myself I like using the new Storyboards as Launch Screens feature Apple added to iOS 8. It greatly decreases the number of images that have to be included (and therefore the size of the app) .

You could use the same technique to create a splash screen as well.

• MartHughMartHugh USMember ✭✭✭

Thanks @nick5454 and @KMullins for your replies.

One thing which is a little odd is that the App build options for App Icons in the Xamarin IDE ask for dimensions which are not listed in the HIG App Icon list, and vice versa. The two sets have only a partial overlap. Why is that?

• KMullinsKMullins USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Hi @MartHugh,

The Xamarin.IDE currently is a superset of all App Icon sizes going back a few iOS version and including things such as Extensions, Apple Watch and CarPlay.

This might change in the future.

Thanks,

Kevin