Data for watch: Sample?

JesseLibertyJesseLiberty USInsider, University ✭✭✭

Is there a good sample of gathering data and then feeding some of it to the watch?

Let's say I have 10 books that I've obtained from a web service, and I want to show them on the watch and allow the user to scroll through them. Each presents a book name, an author, price and publisher.

Is there a sample that would show me (more or less) how to display this info on the watch?

Tagged:

• JamesAltJamesAlt USUniversity ✭✭

@JesseLiberty I did this demo for my local user group the other night and it might help. I'm not using a web service in here but I am passing objects to the watch extension from my phone.

https://github.com/james-alt/WatchDemo

For the project I'm actually working on what I'm doing is caching the data from the web service in local storage on the phone and then just retrieving that before passing it back to the watch. In general I've found if you let the watch initiate the web service call it takes more time than I think the average user is willing to wait. For a good example go look at Amazon's app on the watch. It's pretty much useless.

Also, just make sure you have a nice and small DTO to pass to the watch from the phone so that you are only sending the data you need, otherwise you'll have some performance issues.

Hope this helps!

• LarryOBrienLarryOBrien USXamarin Team Xamurai

if you let the watch initiate the web service call it takes more time than I think the average user is willing to wait

Amen. I think the #1 thing learned after having the device on your wrist is "holding up your wrist and waiting for data is a terrible user experience."

• JesseLibertyJesseLiberty USInsider, University ✭✭✭

@JamesAlt - fantastic, thanks!

• JesseLibertyJesseLiberty USInsider, University ✭✭✭

@JamesAlt - can you give me a call when you get a moment? 339-201-6010. If you don't get through please leave your number and I'll call back. Short version: I'd like to borrow (steal?) liberally from your code to use in my code and to blog about, credit to you of course. Let's discuss. Thanks.