What am I missing? Visual Studio, Mac, Xamarian Server on Mac, Xamarian Starter edition

I setup a Mac, got the latest OS, installed XCode and Xamarian. I installed the version of Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition. I then tried to connect to the Xamarion Server on the Mac from Visual Studio, and it says I need at least a Business license. I currently have the started edition and it says:

Visual Studio integration
Develop iOS & Android in Microsoft Visual Studio Windows Only

So, why doesn't it work? I've spent most of the day getting to this point, so it's frustrating to say the least.

Best Answers

Answers

• AndyFlisherAndyFlisher GBBeta, University ✭✭✭

According to https://store.xamarin.com you need a business licence to use visual studio, which was the case last time I looked, where are you getting your info from?

• lmaturolmaturo USMember

I go to the page shown in the first attached file and press "Download". That takes me to the page shown in the second attached file. I assume, from what you are saying, that the second page has nothing to do with the first, which is very misleading, and wasted a day of time. I'll be damned if I'll spend a $100.00 a month for something I don't even know works. What exactly can you do with the started edition? Install and uninstall it?

I've never developed for anything but Microsoft and Unix/Linux. I don't even know where to start. Thirty days won't get me anywhere. I was hoping for something I could use to learn how to develop for iOS and Android. I am curios as to what function the Starter Edition performs. Since there are no Windows based simulators for iOS and Android, you couldn't even debug your code with it. Anyway, thank you for your help. I guess I'll have to look into other solutions. Microsoft Touch is cross platform and free, for example. I was just hoping to be able to leverage my C# libraries.

Well, I just came across Silver Swift. It allows you to develop apps for Windows, iOS, and Android using .Net, but instead of C# you use Apple's Swift, and it has a converter for converting C# to Swift so you can use your C# libraries. I just read a comparison of Swift to and C# and they are about 70% the same. Most differences are very minor. The best part is it is free. Here is a link: http://elementscompiler.com/elements/silver/.

I think you've significantly misunderstood how the trial, the different editions, and indeed the emulators work.

Firstly, if you need more than 30 days, ask them, secondly, even if the trial does end you can still carry on using Xamarin Studio, you can still build and submit apps to the app store, you can can carry on using the starter edition for as long as you like to learn how to do it. Starter edition limits you to 64,000 lines of code (I think), that's about it. It also looks like things have changed and you can use Visual Studio with the Starter Edition, so if you're not seeing that I suggest you drop Xamarin an email. You can still use Xamarin Studio anyway, which is a very, very capable IDE, and you can still use all your C# libraries.

Secondly, there are Windows based Emulators for Android, it's the same emulator that Native Android development uses, and that's what Xamarin Uses (Xamarin Studio or Visual Studio). No, there is no iOS Simulator for windows, but that's not a limitation of Starter vs Business Editions, or Free vs Pay, or even C# vs any other language, there just isn't one. Xamarin uses something called a Build Host to push the code to the Physical Mac over a network to make life easier. But even so, you cannot test iOS apps on Windows, period, you need a Mac, blame Apple, not Xamarin, they just have a means to make life easier, but yes, you have to pay for it. But again, according to your first post you have a Mac, so no issue, use that.

All the info is out there, just invest some time one it. But can you write, test, and publish iOS and Android apps to their respective app stores using the Xamarin Starter Edition? Yes

I do have a Mac, but I apparently can't use the starter edition to debug on it, because it says you need at least the Business edition to use that feature. I don't understand how I can use the starter edition to learn how to use Xamarian on iOS when I can't debug on the Mac with it, and there are no iOS emulators on Windows. From your post, however, I see that it would be possible to use the starter edition with Android. Is that the situation? No Mac with the starter edition, but you can do Android apps? By that I mean you can write AND debug for Android with the starter edition but you can't write AND debug for iOS with the starter edition.

Then there's something screwy with your license, on the Mac you can write and debug iOS and Android apps using starter edition. xamarin.mac has only ever been offered as a paid version (although I think you can still do monomac apps for free).

Email [email protected] they are very good, that's what they are there for

Are you talking about actually writing the app on the Mac? I was assuming I could write it on the PC in Visual Studio, and remotely debug it on the Mac using the Xamarian server. I really don't want to develop on the Mac if I can avoid it.

You can do both, if it's not working then email as per above

When I tried connecting to the server on the Mac, from my PC, it said I needed at least a Business license to use it. I'm all too willing to believe I did something wrong, but I don't know what it was. I brought up Visual Studio, and I started a new iOS project. It wanted to connect to the server, and when I said yes, it found the server on the Mac and said I couldn't use it due to not having at least a business license. I assumed that was telling me the truth and that I couldn't do it. Perhaps I am misunderstanding the entire process. From what I read, Xamarian uses XCode, on the Mac to compile iOS projects. And to do that it needs a server on the Mac in order to download the code and compile it. I followed the instructions that had me download XCode to the Mac and download and install the Xamarian server. All went well as far as I can tell. I just wanted to compile to a blank iOS project to make sure everything was installed correctly and working together.