Maps, Current Location & Xaml

I wouldn't think that I'm the first to ask this.... but how can you set the current location in Xaml while using a View Model? I've searched & found out that I have to use an external GeoLocator (XLabs) & then the only way I'm seeing how to set the current location in the map is through code behind. Is this correct?

Steve.

Tagged:

Answers

• SteveTriano.6618SteveTriano.6618 USMember

Really...nobody has any clues on this? Am I the only one to wonder this?

• AndrewMobileAndrewMobile USMember ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015

Yes, here's one way to use IGeoLocator from XLabs in your view-model.
    The code gets coordinates when view corresponding to the view-model becomes visible and it subscribes to position error handler

public class YourViewModel : XLabs.Forms.Mvvm.ViewModel
    {
            IGeolocator _geoLocator;

public YourViewModel()
            {
                    _geoLocator = DependencyService.Get<IGeolocator> ();
            }

// note that your View must derive from XLabs.Forms.Mvvm.BaseView in order for this method to be called for the view-model
                   async public override void OnViewAppearing()
                   {
                            _geoLocator.PositionError += OnListeningError;
                           Position position = await _geoLocator.GetPositionAsync(TimeSpan.FromMiliseconds(5000));
                    }

// note that your View must derive from XLabs.Forms.Mvvm.BaseView in order for this method to be called for the view-model
                   async public override void OnViewDisappearing()
                   {
                        _geoLocator.PositionError -= OnListeningError;
                   }

private void OnListeningError(object sender, PositionErrorEventArgs e)
                  {
                        // handle error...
                  }
    }

About setting the location in the Map:
    Map doesn't have a bindable property for position, so you need to call map.MoveToRegion(MapSpan).
    To do this from view-model, they are few ways:

1.- in the view, you can subscribe to the _geoLocator position changed like you did in the view-model

2.- send a message with MessageCenter from view-model to view: http://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/xamarin-forms/messaging-center/ http://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/an-introduction-to-xamarinforms-and-messaging--cms-22526

3.- in the view-model you can have a propertylike like:

IGeoLocationListener GeoLocationListener   { get; set;  }

the view-model will call

GeoLocationListener.Position = position 

IGeoLocationListener is a simple interface which view implements

public interface IGeoLocationListener {  Position Position { set; } } 

in the OnAppearing override in your view class, you call

(ViewModel as MyViewModel).GetLocationListener = this;

and in the OnDisappearing you clear it

(ViewModel as MyViewModel).GeoLocationListener  = null;

4.- You can create an attached property to the Map to which you can bind to the view-model.

Hope this answers your question.

Excellent thanks I'll give this a shot!

Andrei,

What kind of response time should I expect from this Geolocator? When I run this... it takes at least 30 seconds to get the current location & I haven't implemented the message center yet.

Would it be better to use the Dependency Service & get at the native map & geolocator?

what do you mean by response? GeoLocator gets you a Position instance.

So basically what I'm after is this.... I want my user to open a page that shows their current location. I would think this would be very simple.

When I say response... I'm referring to getting the current location from the GeoLocator like;
    https://github.com/XLabs/Xamarin-Forms-Labs/wiki/Geolocator

Thanks for your responses Andrei. This is my first mobile only project so I'm still learning.

this line from the code I posted above gives you the position:
    Position position = await _geoLocator.GetPositionAsync(TimeSpan.FromMiliseconds(5000));

it takes at least 30 seconds to get the current location & I haven't implemented the message center yet.

Does it take 30 seconds for the await call to return?

So your statement doesn't pass compile....'The best overloaded method match for .... has some invalid arguments.... Argument '#1' cannot convert Timespan expression to type int. Interesting though...I add in a convert.toint32() and it still dies.

So if I change your line just to have 5000 then it runs & it takes 6 seconds which is better than the other option... but still that's pretty slow to load a page.

You are right, my code example might have a small error. The timeout is not a TimeSpan.
    Pay attention to the argument types, that should be pretty easy.

Are there any faster options that what's here? 6 seconds to load a page of your current location is a bit much.

• NielsCupNielsCup NLMember ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015

For Windows Phone 8 the _geoLocator is always null in _geoLocator = DependencyService.Get<IGeolocator> ();
    I have downloaded the XLabs project and I experience the same issue. Does anybody else have the same issue?

EDIT: Never mind, I finally found the answer here (and I can't delete this post...)

• Kanchan.4505Kanchan.4505 USMember

NielsCup,

For Windows Phone 8.1, I am also getting _geolocator as null in _geolocator = DependencyService.Get<IGeolocator>();

In Windows Phone 8.1 project, I have registered IGeolocator

private void SetIoC() { var resolverContainer = new SimpleContainer(); var app = new XFormsAppWP(); app.Init(this); var documents = app.AppDataDirectory; resolverContainer.Register<IDevice>(t => WindowsPhoneDevice.CurrentDevice) .Register<IDependencyContainer>(t => resolverContainer) .Register<IXFormsApp>(app) .Register < XLabs.Platform.Services.Geolocation.IGeolocator, XLabs.Platform.Services.Geolocation.Geolocator>() ; Resolver.SetResolver(resolverContainer.GetResolver()); }

Am my missing something?

NielsCup,

For Windows Phone 8.1, I am also getting null for _geolocator = DependencyService.Get<IGeolocator>();

I have registered the IGeolocator in below method.

private void SetIoC() { var resolverContainer = new SimpleContainer(); var app = new XFormsAppWP(); app.Init(this); var documents = app.AppDataDirectory; resolverContainer.Register<IDevice>(t => WindowsPhoneDevice.CurrentDevice) .Register<IDependencyContainer>(t => resolverContainer) .Register<IXFormsApp>(app) .Register < XLabs.Platform.Services.Geolocation.IGeolocator, XLabs.Platform.Services.Geolocation.Geolocator>() ; Resolver.SetResolver(resolverContainer.GetResolver()); }

Am I missing something?

NielsCup,

For WindowsPhone 8.1, I am getting null in _geolocator = DependencyService.Get<IGeolocator>();

Also, registered IGeolocator

private void SetIoC() { var resolverContainer = new SimpleContainer(); var app = new XFormsAppWP(); app.Init(this); var documents = app.AppDataDirectory; resolverContainer.Register<IDevice>(t => WindowsPhoneDevice.CurrentDevice) .Register<IDependencyContainer>(t => resolverContainer) .Register<IXFormsApp>(app) .Register<ISecureStorage, SecureStorage>() .Register < XLabs.Platform.Services.Geolocation.IGeolocator, XLabs.Platform.Services.Geolocation.Geolocator>() ; Resolver.SetResolver(resolverContainer.GetResolver()); }

Am I missing something?

NielsCup,

For WindowsPhone 8.1, I am getting null in _geolocator = DependencyService.Get<IGeolocator>();

private void SetIoC() { var resolverContainer = new SimpleContainer(); var app = new XFormsAppWP(); app.Init(this); var documents = app.AppDataDirectory; resolverContainer.Register<IDevice>(t => WindowsPhoneDevice.CurrentDevice) .Register<IDependencyContainer>(t => resolverContainer) .Register<IXFormsApp>(app) .Register<ISecureStorage, SecureStorage>() .Register < XLabs.Platform.Services.Geolocation.IGeolocator, XLabs.Platform.Services.Geolocation.Geolocator>() ; Resolver.SetResolver(resolverContainer.GetResolver()); }

Am I missing something?

NielsCup,

For Windows Phone 8.1, I am also getting _geolocator as null in _geolocator = DependencyService.Get<IGeolocator>();

In Windows Phone 8.1 project, I have registered IGeolocator

Am my missing something?

NielsCup,

For Windows Phone 8.1, I am also getting null for _geolocator = DependencyService.Get<IGeolocator>();

I have registered the IGeolocator in below method.

Am I missing something?

NielsCup,

Am I missing something?

NielsCup,

Am I missing something?

• NielsCupNielsCup NLMember ✭✭✭

Try registering your geolocator like this: DependencyService.Register<Geolocator> ();

• GaryMcGheeGaryMcGhee AUMember ✭✭

Even once you have a location - it seems ridiculous but true that unless you create the map control in code (not xaml) you lose the ability to instantly begin at a given location. The constructor sets some location, and then the only way to change it is MoveToRegion which takes several seconds to "fly" there. Am I missing something?

Is there a way to make MoveToRegion instant?

Can we set VisibleRegion after creation?

Come on Xamarin, this maps control needs and deserves some serious development.

p.s. There is a hack here : http://adventuresinxamarinforms.com/tag/xamarin-forms-maps/ PositionMap() that I think is trying to get an instant transition by calling it twice.

• balavanvigneshbalavanvignesh Member
    edited February 1

Use Xamarin.Forms.GoogleMaps.Bindings Nuget Package for results.
    Its the best solution for MVVM structure and use xamarin.essentials package forgetting current location.