Apple Watch API

khovekhove USMember

Hi!

Is there any way to read out if a switch is turned on or off with the Xamarin API? Or the value of a Slider?
The "on" property has no getter according to the API-docs, and the example downloaded from github does not build (14 errors) so that is of no help at all.

Best Regards,
Kristoffer

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• adamkempadamkemp USInsider, Developer Group Leader mod

Do you mean this? There's definitely a getter. Which example are you trying?

• khovekhove USMember

Thats for the UISwitch from the UIKit, for Apple Watch it is only possible to use the WKInterfaceSwitch, witch only has set-method for On.

• khovekhove USMember

Sorry, my bad, will do it in the future ;)

Ok, so my boolean-flag is the right way then, thanks.
    Do you have any good sugestions on how to keep track of the value a WKinterfaceSlider holds?

The same way you're keeping track of the other one. Whichever class is communicating with the Watch UI where that slider is needs to have a field to track the latest known value. When you get an update from the watch you update the field.

• khovekhove USMember

But how to do that without knowing if it is the left or right button that is pushed?

I don't understand your question. Each control in the WatchKit API has a way to set the value and a way to get notified of the value being changed by the user. That's all you need to keep track of the current value.

• khovekhove USMember

Do you mean the SetValueForKey() and ValueForKey() methods?

No. From the documentation:

When the user changes the value of a slider, WatchKit delivers the new value to the slider’s action method.

You set this up in interface builder.

• khovekhove USMember

Well, how will the action-method look then, because I have already tried some similar stuff without result. I have tried to add a action myAction: to the slider in the storyboard, but the only arbument it accepts is of the type WKInterfaceSlider with do not have a value attribute.

• khovekhove USMember

When I create an action in the designer (where they have done in this example https://github.com/xamarin/monotouch-samples/tree/master/WatchKit/WatchKitCatalog/WatchkitExtension) it is removed on every build. And when I build the example from Xamarin again I get 14 or 15 errors, so it is of no help at all...

• khovekhove USMember

Thanks @adamkemp it worked! (pushed the wrong button and your reply disappeared, could you post it here again so I could mark it as a reply???)

What happened for me is that I used the designer in Xamarin studio, and then i chose the slider, made an event called sliderAction and put the exact same method in the designer, but as it is written in the top of the designer:

// This file has been generated automatically by Xamarin Studio from the outlets and
    // actions declared in your storyboard file.
    // Manual changes to this file will not be maintained.

So it all disappeared when i build it. But this seems to work, so again, thanks!

• JGoldbergerJGoldberger USMember, Forum Administrator, Xamarin Team, University Xamurai

It seems worthwhile to mention here. There is a bug in Xamarin's iOS Designer such that the wrong method signatures are generated for WatchKit controls. See the bug report:
    https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=30330

The iOS Designer team is aware of this issue and should be working to get it fixed.

• khovekhove USMember

Yes I know ;)
    It was filled becuase I sent an email to [email protected] and asked if this really was intentional or just an error, and seems I was wright, it was an error ;)