Localization of Cocoa views

JasonRischJasonRisch USMember

What is the recommended way to handle localization of Xamarin.Mac applications? It seems there is a mix of XCode and .NET possibilities.

For the .NET side, I have found code samples for detecting the users Mac preferences and setting the thread cultures correctly. This works fine for localization in code via a ResourceManager. (Had to copy the resource satellite assemblies to the correct folder here due to a bug in Xamarin)

For the xib localization, I have yet to find any work solution other than changing the text via cSharp code and fetching each string from a resource manager. This doesn't seem manageable in larger applications. I am guessing that xCode localization should function for forms however I have not been successful there.

Steps taken for XCode
1) Go to project settings and enable additional languages (German)
2) After adding language, when prompted, select forms for localization inclusion. (This essentially copies the form into each languages lproj folder
3) Edit the German xib to contain some German text
4) Set .NET thread culture and ui culture
5) Set mac default language to German

Run the App... Nope, still in English.

Answers

• ChrisHamonsChrisHamons USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

I answered a similar question here:

https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/comment/115285/#Comment_115285

But we know that localization is one of the areas that we know we need a much better story. It is on our roadmap for improvement.

• JasonRischJasonRisch USMember

Thanks Chris! Do you know where this falls on your roadmap? I'm debating the wisdom of rolling a solution vs waiting for official localization support.

• ChrisHamonsChrisHamons USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

We have not announced anything related to localization yet, so it may be awhile before something lands. It is a large problem to tackle.

I would consider forging ahead yourself.

• GraGra33GraGra33 USMember

We're also very interested in localization support. We currently support users in over 140 different countries with our current Silverlight app that we are migrating and will need localization.

What will happen if we launch our app in the Apple app store without localization? Will this mean that if we don't have localization it will restrict globally who will have access to the app?