Visual Studio reporting errors (Value cannot be null) since last set of Xamarin updates applied

JohnHardmanJohnHardman John HardmanGBUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

Since applying the latest Xamarin updates, Visual Studio is reporting the following error:

ERROR: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: project

Unfortunately, with so much software auto-updating these days I cannot be 100% certain that it was the Xamarin update that caused it, but it coincided chronologically. Has anybody else seen this error, or have any clue as to what might be causing it / how to resolve it?

Many thanks,

John H.

Best Answer

Answers

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman John Hardman GBUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

I am wondering if this could be an issue in the Xamarin Project Template(s) ?

• FrdricBILLAtFrdricBILLAt Frédéric BILLAt FRMember

I have the same problem and the same error and i can say the problem issue after the latest Xamarin updates 1.4.2.6359.

I can't build a release version of Android, just a debug version.

@FrdricBILLAt - Thanks for replying so quickly. I'm sorry you have the problem too, but I'm also glad it's not just me.

I'll put a support request in, rather than just hoping somebody from Xamarin spots it in the forum.

• MarianGieselerMarianGieseler Marian Gieseler USMember ✭✭
    edited May 2015

Same issue since i have updated an existing Xamarin.Forms project!

• LucaMarchetti.4193LucaMarchetti.4193 Luca Marchetti USMember

Same here!

• LutzMoellerLutzMoeller Lutz Möller USMember

Does anybody already solved this issue?
    I started validating Xamarin today and can't use the Visual Studio integration...

edited May 2015

@LutzMller.1708 - I have emailed a support query, but haven't heard anything back yet.

BTW - this one doesn't stop you using Visual Studio - the error list shows these errors, but if you look in the Output window, you can see that your build still works. I have reported other issues that are more of a problem when it comes to making progress :-(

• LukeWatsonLukeWatson Luke Watson USUniversity ✭✭

I am also getting this issue and it seems to have also blown out all our nuget references. nothing builds and i am stuck.

@LukeWatson - interesting about the NuGet references. I hadn't made the link, but I have just spent 2 days going through all of mine one-by-one to get things to a useable state again, so it could be related.

@JohnHardman - im downloading the previous release of Xamain to see if that fixes it. not going to hold my breath

Rolling back fixed the
    error, but my nuget is still messed up. i guess ill be removing and readding them... i tried update-package -reinstall

no help

• ab.9453ab.9453 a b USMember

+1 for ERROR: Value cannot be null.

• MarianGieselerMarianGieseler Marian Gieseler USMember ✭✭

I was able to fix the error by a merge commit. The other computer had not installed the latest Xamarin version...

• HenningMortensenHenningMortensen Henning Mortensen USMember

Stuck :(

Anyone heard anything from Xamarin support?

@Marian.Gieseler - did your merge get you to a point where you are using the latest update successfully, or roll you back to the old version? If you are using the latest update, did you identify what file change it was that results in this error from Visual Studio, and does your iOS project execute successfully?

• GadiPazGadiPaz Gadi Paz ILUniversity

same "Error: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: project" here.
    Someone from Xamarin , please advice.
    I'm stuck here and can't compile

@GadiPaz @HenningMortensen @MarianGieseler @ab.9453 @LukeWatson @LutzMiller.1708 @LucaMarchetti.4193 @FrdricBILLAt

There's a workaround for this described at
    https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=29220

(although that then pops up a different message when starting Visual Studio on my machine).

The release notes for the update that caused me so much trouble can be found at:
    https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/37276/stable-release-xamarin-studio-5-9-0-new-features-and-bug-fixes/p1

Those notes list some known issues, although not everything I have encountered as far as I can see.

• GadiPazGadiPaz Gadi Paz ILUniversity

Thanks for the workaround @JohnHardman.
    It solved the "Error: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: project" issue,
    But I still experiencing a weird problem, seems like the Android project is not loading as expected.
    I'm using a Shared Project and on the upper left side there's a dropdown for selecting the current working project,
    I see there the iOS & Tests project but don't see the Android project.
    That's why I can't compile, I'm using some compiler directives (like ANDROID) in the Shared Project so I can't compile the Android Project anymore.

I'm using VS2013 update 4

@GadiPaz - I'd recommend starting a new thread for the other issue that you are seeing, or raise it on the thread for the release notes if you think it is related to the update.

Regards,

John H.

@JohnHardman thanks for the link, but i do not have a reference to test cloud in my project. is it a setting i can disable somewhere?

@LukeWatson - I blindly followed the workaround instructions (copied below from https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=29680 ) as follows. I'm ashamed to say that I didn't investigate the detail before doing so. If these instructions don't work for you, I'd suggest adding notes to that bug, and also to the thread for the release notes. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

for VS 2013:

1. Delete the following two files:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Xamarin\Xamarin\3.11.445.0\Xamarin.TestCloud.Integration.pkgdef
      C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Xamarin\Xamarin\3.11.445.0\Xamarin.TestCloud.Integration.dll

2. Run the following command in a cmd.exe command prompt (remove the >
      greater-than symbol from the beginning of the line):

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /setup /nosetupvstemplates

@JohnHardman That got rid of that error, thank you. i think my other error is something to do with mono messing up my environment. ill keep looking elsewhere

edited May 2015

All - be aware - I had a notification pop up this morning saying that there was a new Xamarin.iOS version available (it would have been 3.11.446.0) on the stable channel. Installed it, and now I have the "Value cannot be null. Paramater name: project" back again.

(shaking head in despair, thinking the iOS team should be talking to the TestCloud team...)

To resolve this for VS 2013, I did:

1.Delete the following two files:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Xamarin\Xamarin\3.11.446.0\Xamarin.TestCloud.Integration.pkgdef
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Xamarin\Xamarin\3.11.446.0\Xamarin.TestCloud.Integration.dll

2.Run the following command in a cmd.exe command prompt (remove the >

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /setup /nosetupvstemplates

• JerodVenemaJerodVenema Jerod Venema USMember

JohnHardman's solution worked here, exact same "Value cannot be null. Paramater name: project" error. Trashing the TestCloud stuff and resetting VS resolved it.

Come on Xamarin team, let's not blow up entire environments with an update!

• SonNguyen.8158SonNguyen.8158 Son Nguyen USMember, University

@JohnHardman Your workaround fixed this issue for me as well. Thanks!

• hagailuger.4503hagailuger.4503 hagai luger ILMember

Did all of @JohnHardman advice and it helped. Thanks
    But! now other errors :-1: and visual studio gets busy, and my app gets stuck

I don't think it's our job to do QA for Xamarin

Rolled back to my previous version. everything is working.

@Xamarin guys, in "stable" channel please put stable release...

@hagailuger.6820

In other threads, people have said that the latest Alpha release resolves the Visual Studio hangs. Given how bad even a Stable release can be, I'm not planning on using Alpha any time soon, but people do say it solves the hangs if you want to give it a try...

• hagailuger.4503hagailuger.4503 hagai luger ILMember

@JohnHardman , thanks for the offer but if that's how the "Stable" looks like, I don't want to think how the Alpha looks...

• MartinRothschinkMartinRothschink Martin Rothschink DEMember ✭✭

In that case Alpha and Beta look a lot better. Give it a try, really!

• FredyWengerFredyWenger Fredy Wenger CHInsider ✭✭✭✭✭

@JohnHardman, @GadiPaz, @FrdricBILLAt, @MarianGieseler, @LucaMarchetti.4193, @LutzMller.1708, @ab.9453, @LukeWatson, @JerodVenema, @RADev, @hagailuger1, @MartinRothschink and all other readers of this thread:

I have tested the newest pre-alpha version of the VS-X-integration-SW and posted my findings here:
    forums.xamarin.com/discussion/41844/my-findings-after-test-if-the-newest-xamarin-vs-integration-software?new=1

I think, this should be interesting for you anyway...

I don't had (and have) the problem described in the thread here (but also have skipped some versions).
    If someone can give me a clear advise how to provocate it, I could try out for you, If I can provocate it with the newest version :sunglasses:

Cheers...

• SyedMuhammadAhmadSyedMuhammadAhmad Syed Muhammad Ahmad USMember

To resolve this for VS 2013, I did:

1.Delete the following two files:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Xamarin\Xamarin\3.11.446.0\Xamarin.TestCloud.Integration.pkgdef
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Xamarin\Xamarin\3.11.446.0\Xamarin.TestCloud.Integration.dll

2.Run the following command in a cmd.exe command prompt (remove the >

but a popup message comes "the operation could not be completed access is denied"

what should i do?

@SyedMuhammadAhmad - make sure you have not got Visual Studio running, and make sure that you run the command prompt (cmd.exe) as administrator. It's probably the latter, as Program Files has more protection these days than it used to.

• SyedMuhammadAhmadSyedMuhammadAhmad Syed Muhammad Ahmad USMember

@ohnHardman thanks it solved

• JoeKelley.0743JoeKelley.0743 Joe Kelley USMember

thanks @JohnHardman , worked perfectly.

Xamarin really needs to get it together.

• LyndonHugheyLyndonHughey Lyndon Hughey USUniversity ✭✭

Thanks for posting this guys. This issue has been driving me crazy for over month!

• JonDavis.0799JonDavis.0799 Jon Davis USMember

Xamarin had been installed automatically by installing VS2015 RC. Uninstalled Xamarin entirely from Programs and Features and also followed the steps above (delete from Extensions folder).

I never wanted Xamarin. Make the VS-integrated toolset fully licensed for free (maybe follow Unreal Engine licensing model?) and maybe I'll give a rat's behind about Xamarin, but in the mean time I don't have a couple thousands of dollars to throw around.

• BenMessengerBenMessenger Ben Messenger AUUniversity

I was getting "object reference not set to instance of an object" on a build or even when I performed a clean in VS 2013 but completely after a success of either. )It first surfaced after Xamarin studio did a forced upgrade of the target android framework) It persisted through reboots, reload of projects, removal of preference files etc. I swapped from VS to Xamarin Studio and still got the same issue and then came across this thread. I followed the instructions from Syed and John Hardman, ensuring I ran the command as administrator with VS closed and all worked perfectly.

Why Test cloud dll should cause this is beyond me, but very thankful for your solutions.

• AliTheOneAliTheOne AliTheOne USMember

Hi
    This error occurs because Xamarin did not recognize the SDK,NDK or JDK
    Go to Tool>Option>Xamarin>AndroidSetting

• AhrimanSefidAhrimanSefid sdf fgdg AFMember

Me Install today Send ME Error :
    Value cannot be null . Parameter name:path1
    VS 2015 And VS 2013
    sdk install ( android studio )
    JDK 8
    NDK 10