Forum General

Proposal - "Perpetual Trial" based on signing

AndyDentAndyDent AUMember ✭✭

I'm in discussions about building some F# samples for Xamarin and we're debating how to deal with the size limits of the Starter edition.

It just occurred to me that maybe Xamarin can easily fix this - make the limits only kick in when you archive for the store.

I'm speaking from an iOS angle here, being relatively new to Android, so I don't know if there's an equivalent.

In an iOS app, it could enforce bundle checking to refuse to archive and sign an app with a bundle com.yourcompany...

This would allow everyone to build and run locally to try out features beyond their version but they would be compelled to buy an upgrade if they want to ship the app with those features.

It means you could have a Starter license but build more complex samples - I think this would lead to conversions and upgrades for people otherwise dissuaded. In particular, it lets people experiment with Xamarin Forms

Tagged:

• NickLeeNickLee USMember, Xamarin Team, University Xamurai

Hello Andy,

Thank you for this feedback. We are always looking for ways to make the evaluation experience easier for our customers. I will run this by the team and see what they think.

In the meantime, we do offer full 30-day trials of Xamarin Business. If your team needs more time to use the trial, I would be happy to provide you with a trial extension. Your team can email us at [email protected] to request an extension (we can extend trials typically 30-60 more days, depending on need).

We also expanded Starter Edition to allow for apps with up to 128 kb of IL, so that should allow for some more sophisticated apps in the interim.

Warm regards from San Francisco,

Nick

• AndyDentAndyDent AUMember ✭✭
    edited May 2015

Thanks, Nick

That's great news about the Starter Edition 128KB IL expansion and we've already heard that CocosSharp is on track to be available to people running Starter.

"If your team needs more time to use the trial" is not an issue for us - we're working on samples for general use so it's about what would be usable for anyone trying Xamarin.

I'm looking forward to visiting SF in June for WWDC so hope to catch up with Xamarin folk there.

cheers
    Andy