How can I generate PDF files from my mono.android project

Bear101Bear101 NLMember ✭✭
edited April 2015 in Xamarin.Android

Hello guys,

Well I don't know if this is hard but I found it very hard to get a clear answer. I tried to use iTextSharp & PDFSharp but both are no options because their System.Drawing will conflict with the .NET System.Drawing. I've read in an other forum post that it is possible but I must build it from scratch and produce an Mono Android-compatible DLL. Since I'm a student working for the first time with app developing this is very hard in my eyes.

The next option is to use a expensive paid library like XFINIUM. Like I told you I'm just a student working on a project so I hope you can understand this is not an option for me at this moment.

My question is if some of you guys out there have a suggestion of what I should do. Or maybe some of you already know of a mono.android PDF generator library..

Thanks in advance.

Jesse

Answers

• CheesebaronCheesebaron DKInsider, University mod
    1. Find a free PDF editor library for Java Android
    2. Create a binding project
    3. Build the binding project and reference it in your app
    4. Use the library
  • Bear101Bear101 NLMember ✭✭
    edited May 2015

Hello Tomasz,

Thanks for you response. I've been on a holiday so haven't been able to work out your suggestion. I'll let you know how it worked out.

edited May 2015

@Cheesebaron

I downloaded the iText library sourceforge.net/projects/itext/. After this I created a new binding project in my Xamarin Solution called "PDFGeneratorAndroid". I added the Jars I downloaded to the Jars folder.

After this I right clicked the PDFGeneratorAndroid project and clicked build. It gave me a lot of errors. So many (50 errors and over 500 warnings), it makes me think I did something wrong in the process of making the Binding Project. I tried to follow the steps described over here: http://developer.xamarin.com/guides/android/advanced_topics/java_integration_overview/binding_a_java_library_(.jar)/

I was hoping you could help me with creating this binding project.

Thanks in advance,

Jesse

• DarrenLukasDarrenLukas USMember ✭✭

@JesseKlamer Hey, did you manage to generate the PDF file for Xamarin.Android? I need to generate PDF file for printing purpose.

• SergeFloydSergeFloyd Member ✭✭

I would recommend to check ZetPDF.com library

@DarrenLukas Hi Darren, I remember we did not implement the PDF generator during that project. Would be fun to take another look at it after these years. If I find time I'll update it here. @SergeFloyd the link is dead but visiting the website of ZetPDF I see a developers license costs $199.