Forum General

Visual studio 2015 integration

minzhaominzhao CHMember ✭✭

Hello,
The Build 2015 session reveals that the Xamarin Starter edition is going to be integrated as an option for VS2015. From the demo it seems that we can now develop Android/iOS apps within VS. I would like to know if the Xamarin eco-system is integrated (cross-platform projects and Xamarin.Forms)? Furthermore, does this mean that Xamarin for Visual studio is available for free?
Best,
ShiroYacha

Answers

• FabioGFabioG ITBeta, University ✭✭✭

Microsoft is integrating Xamarin in the VS 2015 setup for convenience. You still need to purchase a Xamarin Business license to use Xamarin in VS.

• JimBennettJimBennett GBXamarin Team, Insider, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭✭✭

Not a fan of this I must admit - it's like the bloatware of trials you get when you buy a crappy PC - Office trials, AV trials etc.
    It's a shame to allow something to be installed that you then have to pay to use. It's going to confuse and annoy a lot of developers who will install it and wonder why it can't be used after the trial.

• minzhaominzhao CHMember ✭✭

Yup, this is quite confusing :(

@JimBennett, yep. I believe Microsoft is using this as a way to promote VS as "the one dev tool to rule them all" and Xamarin is trying to gain visibility by being included in VS by default.

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm I thought the bundled Xamarin offering in VS 2015 was the Starter edition (with its size limitations), but would work with the Mac build host. Is that not the case? I was sure I read that somewhere...

Yes as I thought, according to this Xamarin blog the free starter edition included with VS2015 is usable, within the size limitations mentioned previously.

edited May 2015

@JohnHair , you are right. Thanks for pointing that out. What I wrote in my first post is wrong: you can use Xamarin for free; the problem is that I don't consider the Starter Edition to be usable at all. It's just like a trial, you can check out the development environment, build some "Hello, world!" like apps (and publish them on the app stores if you like to) but you cannot build anything serious because the size limit it's really "limiting". As soon as you start adding some NuGets you're out of the game.
    I believe, this is the reason why the blog post you linked reads:

This lets anyone get a taste of mobile development in C# ...

[emphasis added]

If you want to use Xamarin professionally within VS 2015 you need to purchase a Business license.

Quite right, but that taste is intriguing to a lot of my colleagues who would have never considered Xamarin before. I personally think its a very smart move on Xamarin's side.

• HannesBiribauerHannesBiribauer ATMember

So the next higher license model "Indie edition" does NOT contain the features of the basic license model "Starter edition". :(
    Really too bad - as an indie developer I cannot afford the business edition and since the starter edition is useless, I will not use Xamarin for my next project.

• RandyBRandyB USMember

It's all marketing. Microsoft and Xamarin worked out some kind of deal to get Xamarin integrated with VS so people would see it, use it and ultimately buy it. Reminds me a little of the Ask toolbar packaged with Java, i.e. you may not want it, but too bad. If a full Xamarin license isn't provided, then it shouldn't be in VS.

I may actually take a closer look at Xamarin in the future, but not because a crippled version is built into VS. If anything, I'll probably look at other alternatives to Xamarin first because I really, truly despise marketing gimmicks and ploys like this.