Calabash 2.0

TomOpgenorthTomOpgenorth CAXamarin Team Xamurai

Hi all,

Calabash 2.0, a unification of the Android and iOS APIs, is on its way.

We've created a GitHub issue that describes our vision for Calabash 2.0.

Announcement: Calabash 2.0

Please have a look at the issue and make comments there.

We want and need your feedback!

We'll keep the public API up to date as we make progress. Find it here:

http://calabashapi.xamarin.com/calabash/

Tagged:

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomOpgenorth - Hi Tom. Any plans to add WinRT support? Not keen on having to maintain two sets of automation, Android and iOS using Xamarin.UITest, and WinRT using Visual Studio Coded UI Tests (ugh) or something else. Thanks, John H.

• TomOpgenorthTomOpgenorth CAXamarin Team Xamurai

WinRT support is on the roadmap, but there is no information on when it will be available.

• SteveRawlinsSteveRawlins USMember ✭✭

Tom,
    I want to write cross-platform UITests, ideally in C# not Gherkin. I want to use Xamarin UI Test. I keep running-up against the issue of how to identify objects on the screen (do I use Id? Class? Text?)

Somewhere buried in your doc, you emphasize using Id

How do I get my Android and iOS apps to set that Id so that I can write UITests which test the feature in a cross-platform method (same UITest method, same feature - but two executions, one for iOS, other for Android)

How, in the app being tested, do I set those Ids?

• TomOpgenorthTomOpgenorth CAXamarin Team Xamurai

(I prefer using Marked and not Id. Marked is a bit more flexible with it comes to the view properties it can interrogate.)

For Android, just set the android:id on the view in your XML markup.

For iOS you can set the assessibilityIdentifier in your view controller, or manually using the XCode interface builder. It's probably easier to do this in code.

• Caleb.MorrisCaleb.Morris USMember
    edited October 2015

Do you know if this resolve the current problems with Calabash/UITests and Android Marshmallow crashing/rebooting?
    This appears to have been fixed already, sorry. ((not sure how to delete my post))

• I would love to use all Xamarin based tools for automated testing: UITest and Xamarin Test Cloud. However, the big showstopper for me is UITest on iOS. UITest relies on a custom HTTP embedded server that must be compiled into the iOS app. Whereas something like Appium relies on the Android and iOS automation standard and does NOT require anything special to be done to the app.

Why is this important? When testing with Appium, I can submit to Apple, the exact binary I used to test against! I think that is a very big deal and worth Xamarin looking in to. Yes, Appium allows me to use C# and yes, Xamarin Test Cloud added Appium support. But I like using as much of a single vendor product as possible since I know it will be supported. Therefore, I would prefer Xamarin change their tools to use the Android and iOS automation standard like Appium so that no special HTTP embedded web server is needed.

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomOpgenorth - Is there any update on when UITest will support Windows platforms, particularly UWP?

• Bartdk-Bartdk- USUniversity ✭✭

Any feedback on this topic ?
    Would love to hear if a future version will remove the dependency to the calabash server