Even creating a new NSObject will cause a NullPointerException

I am trying to access a OS X driver through a framework that I've written in MonoMac. In that process I thought it would be easier if I would stick to the Simple tutorial and make that work first before adding more complexity like dependencies on other dylibs. With some perseverance I managed to get Simple to Write "OK" to the console and I started to work to convert the driver Framework following the now familiar path I had followed by converting Simple.Framework to Simple.dll.

However this time whenever I was trying to create an instance of any class inside that Driver.Framework it would throw a NullPointerException. So I tried quite a few things until I started to narrow down what the real problem was by cutting off parts of that framework to see where the problem was. Even just using stubs it would crash. Then I wondered if my Simple.dll would still work and even that would crash in the same way. Then I created a new Test project and Simple.dll still didn't work. Then I didn't even include Simple.dll and just added the following line of code:

var test = new NSObject();

This should work, shouldn't it? But exactly same runtime error occurred:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object at MonoMac.ObjCRuntime.Class.Register (System.Type type) [0x00007] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/1248/f2847d5f/source/xamcore/maccore/src/ObjCRuntime/Class.cs:134 at MonoMac.ObjCRuntime.Class.GetHandle (System.Type type) [0x00002] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/1248/f2847d5f/source/xamcore/maccore/src/ObjCRuntime/Class.cs:103 at MonoMac.Foundation.NSObject.AllocIfNeeded () [0x0001e] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/1248/f2847d5f/source/xamcore/maccore/src/Foundation/NSObject2.cs:475 at MonoMac.Foundation.NSObject..ctor () [0x00008] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/1248/f2847d5f/source/xamcore/maccore/src/Foundation/NSObject2.cs:106 at Test2.MainClass.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00001] in /Users/Lucas/Code/Xamarin/Test2/Test2/Main.cs:16

So I am wondering if there might be some kind of mixup happening inside Xamarin because I first installed MacMono, then hand compiled MacMono to obtain bmac.exe to only upgrade in the end to Xamarin.Mac. Then I installed one or two upgrades when prompted, now running 5.8.3.

Who can shed some light on this?

• RolfBjarneKvingeRolfBjarneKvinge USXamarin Team Xamurai

Have you tried creating a new Xamarin.Mac project and see if the same thing happens there?

If that works you can compare the two projects and try to find out what's different between them.

• LucasvanDongenLucasvanDongen ARMember

I tried creating two test projects. One with Xamarin.Mac, one with MonoMac. So Simple.dll only works with Xamarin.Mac, not with MonoMac, probably because I used bmac from Xamarin.Mac because I was getting really frustrated with bmac.exe that I manually compiled from source.

The project that crashed probably ended up being a conflicting mix in some sort of way because I created that before installing the trial version of Xamarin.Mac. So it's not possible to use dll's compiled with bmac in MonoMac and vice versa? The original framework contained a Hello World method, nothing exotic that could warrant bmac.exe to fail.

No, it's not possible to mix dlls compiled with MonoMac and Xamarin.Mac.

edited May 2015

I've updated this morning and ever since then I cannot instantiate native classes directly from C#, including NSObject. I've created a new Xamarin Classic OS X project that only instantiates an NSObject in main.cs and it crashes already.

using System;
    using System.Drawing;
    using MonoMac.Foundation;
    using MonoMac.AppKit;
    using MonoMac.ObjCRuntime;

namespace MSN_OS_X
    {
        class MainClass
        {
            static void Main (string[] args)
            {
                if (Dlfcn.dlopen("/Users/Lucas/Projects/TempTest/TempTest/OPNScannerFramework.framework/OPNScannerFramework", 0) == IntPtr.Zero) 
                {
                    Console.Error.WriteLine("Error: " + Dlfcn.dlerror());
                }

var test = new NSObject (); // NullPointerException here
                //OptiScannerFactory.RegisteredScanner = new ScannerImplementation ();

NSApplication.Init ();
                NSApplication.Main (args);
            }
        }
    }

When I create a new project for the Unified API it just works.

I re-installed the trial version mentioned here, cleaned the project and it all started working again. I've installed updates before so I guess the last update was a 2.0 update and that one doesn't work so well at the moment.

You must call NSApplication.Init () before you can create NSObjects.

This worked at least for the commercial version of Xamarin.Mac. If I find the time I will see if it fixes the same problem I had with MonoMac but my client decided that App Store supported was needed so I'll stick to Xamarin.Mac anyway.