Forum Visual Studio

Should I be able to create/load iOS projects in Xamarin Studio on Windows?

jeffsimonjeffsimon USMember

Hello,

I have a business license and have downloaded Xamarin Studio for Windows from my account's downloads page (https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads).

I cannot create or load iOS projects in Xamarin Studio on Windows. Android projects are listed in the new solutions dialog (and open find), but iOS is not an option; should it be? I can also create and load iOS projects in Visual Studio, but not in Xamarin Studio.

Am I missing a step somewhere? I scoured the Xamarin site and the forums but couldn't find an answer either way.

Thanks for your help,
Jeff

• JeffreyStedfastJeffreyStedfast USXamarin Team Xamurai

Hi Jeff,

Xamarin Studio does not support iOS development on Windows - only Visual Studio is able to develop iOS apps on Windows.

The assumption is that if you are on Windows, you are probably there because you want to use Visual Studio.

• jeffsimonjeffsimon USMember

Thanks Jeffrey, that does make sense and it's how I had been working as well. That said, I've been using Xamarin Studio more on my mac recently, and I liked it enough to wonder if I could just move to it on both win8 & mac and give that a try.

Xamarin might contemplate clarifying that somewhere on the site. As you said it's a rare case, but for the life of me I couldn't find it discussed either way (we do/don't support it) anywhere.

Cheers,
    Jeff