Xamarin.Forms 1.4.3-pre2 Released

• XavyerXavyer MDMember ✭✭

@void
    No i did not. For my project i swapped listview with header and footer to scrollview with the controls i needed and custom layout control in place of listview. Eventually the header and footer will be fixed but to move forward with the project i decided not to wait for the fix.

• voidvoid DKBeta ✭✭✭

@Xavyer Ok. Thanks.

• voidvoid DKBeta ✭✭✭

@TheRealJasonSmith

So. It's been a while. Any idea when the next release is due. Are we talking days, weeks. Months?

• ChWoChWo DEMember

@void
    On May 23rd @MigueldeIcaza wrote

I am guessing that we will have a package with many of these fixes in about two to three weeks (when we ship our 2nd service release to the platform)

I hope it's coming on monday. I'm stuck right now without updates.

• voidvoid DKBeta ✭✭✭

@ChWo

Looking forward to monday. Thanks.

• FredyWengerFredyWenger CHInsider ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chwo:
    I have asked that in the "how to make forms stable-thread":
    http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/41588/how-to-make-forms-stable/p2
    just a minute ago ("over the cross") :open_mouth:
    But maybe we receive at least one answer to two questions :smirk:

• GeorgeCookGeorgeCook PEUniversity ✭✭✭

Is there any movement on the 1.4.3 release totally hosing the breakpoint debugger?

I don't see how you guys can expect to get any useful feedback about this release while it's totally unusable. Anyone using PCL libraries (therefore building anything more complex than the most trivial of apps) will likely find it impossible to use.

The bug I raised already has many comments - yet zero feedback from Xamarin.

**Can we have some direction about this, please? ** We've got a release on android coming up, and debugging it will be hell because 1.4.2 has a NPE which you guys resolved in 1.4.3; but we can't use 1.4.3 as we get utter nonsense out of the breakpoint debugger/crash reporter.

We assumed 6 weeks would be sufficient to get movement on this (it was reported a month ago, and we have 2 weeks left); but that's seeming less likely. This will be a major disappointment for our client.

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=29861

I see it's in progress. it would've been great to get an indication of when we can expect this turned around. I've been defending Xamarin from a lot of criticism, which I still think was unwarranted; I do however find it incredible that a bug such as this wasn't fixed sooner. I can't imagine you guys got very much meaningful feedback about 1.4.3-pre 2 at all. Everybody I know has had to downgrade weeks ago.

• MichaelWatsonMichaelWatson USXamarin Team Xamurai

@GeorgeCook

Cycle 5 Service Release 2 was pushed to the Alpha Channel yesterday and it has the fixes you need to debug in PCLs. I just tested it out with one of my projects and the debugger now hits the right lines and can be left paused on one line. I can see the light!

Upgrade to Alpha channel at your own risk, but make sure to file any bugs you identify so they can be fixed before being released to Stable.

well that is great news! thanks!!!

@ all:
    I have received an answer from Miguel to the next release here:
    forums.xamarin.com/discussion/41588/how-to-make-forms-stable/p4

Hopefully next week...

• voidvoid DKBeta ✭✭✭

Hmm

Update: @Tekton 's smelled dead cat seems to walk again "early next week" :wink:

• TektonTekton USMember ✭✭✭

@FredyWenger We can revive it. We have the technology! :smiley:

• RogerSchmidlinRogerSchmidlin CHUniversity ✭✭✭

I am missing some important fixes / improvements with the WebView in Forms. Any plans on that?

• AxelCharpentierAxelCharpentier FRMember ✭✭

Hi guys,

Is there any way to see what are the bugs planned to be fixed in next release in Bugzilla ?
    Since Target Milestone for forms stop at 1.4.0.0 I am a little confused...

Querying for IN_PROGRESS bug yeild a few, but not bugs that are already fixed but not released obviously...

Am I missing something ?

@AxelCharpentier:
    Unfortunately - I don't think so...
    I have suggested to change this - see on first page 1.) - 5.) here:
    https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/41588/how-to-make-forms-stable/p1
    And @MigueldeIcaza has seen it and also promised some enhancements...

So let's wait for the update "early next week" and see what (hopefully) has changed :wink:

• KasperOvergrdNielsenKasperOvergrdNielsen DKBeta, University ✭✭

@MichaelWatson - I think you might be mixing up 30318 with 29861, which is what @GeorgeCook talks about. 29861 is still there (as per my testing), after upgrading to the latest alpha version, ie:

Xamarin Studio - Version 5.9.4 (build 5)
    Mono 4.0.2 ((detached/198235d)
    Xamarin.Android - Version: 5.1.4.8

This issue is related to XF 1.4.3.6358-pre2 vs XF 1.4.2.6359 and is holding up any meaningfull feedback on pre2, as it basically makes it impossible to debug while referencing pre2.

So is the debugger still broken? I can kiss an hour of productivity honey changing all my projects to the latest forms (switch channels edit packages for each project in a big solution delete start package folders etc). Don't want to lose time if it's not fixed

And if it's not it has to Beas per @kaspero s comment

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod

@AxelCharpentier +1 for the question. I also want to know how to identify what is expected to be fixed. I currently have 13 open bugs (admittedly 2 were raised today), of which only 1 is shown as in progress.

• KasperOvergrdNielsenKasperOvergrdNielsen DKBeta, University ✭✭

@GeorgeCook - It doesn't work at my end, sorry.

• BrianRepettiBrianRepetti USUniversity ✭✭✭

Hopefully there is a release coming! I am starting to smell dead cat myself.

@breps:
    Hopefully you don't smell your own cat (avatar) :wink:
    I personally smell an update until (latest) Wednesday - else I will start to smell a dead dog! :flushed:.

• BrianRepettiBrianRepetti USUniversity ✭✭✭

My cat, "Megabyte", is still kicking!

Hopefully its coming. I am now running into a showstopper. Bugzilla has it marked as fixed though. Time will tell.

They really need to get better at letting us know what's going on with forms.

Perhaps xamarin need more experienced project leads or more resources for it? Even small projects I work on have clearer release management than this and they are only used by a few people, not thousands.

• MaxMengMaxMeng NZMember ✭✭✭

Quote from https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/41588/how-to-make-forms-stable/p4

Follow up: I have just been told that they are preparing the package now for a release early next week.

• TektonTekton USMember ✭✭✭

I feel like there are ants in my pants. :lol:

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University mod

They try and align major releases of Forms with major releases of Xamarin tools now so I'm guessing it could be a week or two away yet.

@NMackay: That's not, what @MigueldeIcaza has promised...

edited June 2015

@FredyWenger

I did say I was guessing :wink:

Either way they have promised to improve communication but apart from Miguel (thankfully) dropping in to the forums to reassure us there is no tangible communication. We use Telerik Controls (WPF Web & Xamarin & HTML5) and the have just released a beta of their Xamarin forms Listview, I was contacted immediately when the beta was available and have been given a pretty much accurate timeline since they announced the tools a bit after Evolve 2014. There's a timeline to release which I know they'll achieve, their biggest issue is releasing updates to coincide with the changes to Xamarin.Forms.

I'm hoping communication does improve once the next release comes out, fingers crossed as it makes you nervous when they go quite :smile:

• AndrewMobileAndrewMobile USMember ✭✭✭✭

• AndrewMobileAndrewMobile USMember ✭✭✭✭

yes, communication is imperative and it should be better.
    meanwhile let's be easy on the Xamarin guys.
    software business is hard, we all know that.
    look to giant companies much much bigger than Xamarin and they still screw up from time to time :)

@NMackay: No problem - everyone can guess what he want :wink:
    But.. the last release (this thread) was at April 21 -> these are two months next week!
    I (and I think various other users) are urgent waiting for some bug fixing (I actually fill itunesconnect to be able to ship the app, as soon as I have a stable version).
    If the "big boss" say "early this week", I have (want!) to trust him. :smirk: .

Thanks to @SimonWads
    Yes! I see the NuGet - I think, in the next minutes/hours, the "official" release-thread will be posted :smile:
    @NMackay : Fortunately your guess has deceived you :smirk:

@FredyWenger

Pre3 isn't a stable release :wink:

Still, if it appears when you say I'll have no problem saying my guess was hopelessly misguided :blush:

ps

Watch out as you'll need to have the Alpha version of Xamarin installed which I can't use as it hangs when adding resources to VS2013 Droid projects.

@NMackay:
    The Pre-2 also isn't a stable release (and about 2 month old) :sunglasses:

Watch out as you'll need to have the Alpha version of Xamarin installed which I can't use as it hangs when adding resources to VS2013 Droid projects.

I have read short the NuGet-Notes and also seen this note.
    Therefore - I hope - there will be detailed information's in the official release-thread (once posted).

Under the solved bug's, there is at least one, that I need for a working WP-App.
    Further- unfortunately - not all fixed bugs are described (see text at the end of the NuGet-description)

Crash with Android-resources:
    I have investigated the problem in detail and posted my findings here (see attached .pdf in the thread):
    http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/41844/my-findings-after-test-if-the-newest-xamarin-vs-integration-software#latest

Workaround: Edit the .csproj-file manually (see .pdf for all details).
    I further have filled a bug to this problem.
    => So.. its not nice, but can be handled manually

I more fear other "evergreens" to be back (like terminator), if I read the comments to the newest Integration-Alpha...

edited June 2015

@FredyWenger

Thanks for the link.

The droid issue is worse for me, if you do anything in the resource folder such as creating a new folder or adding XML files the UI thread hangs in Visual Studio hangs (since it's a WPF app it's curtains for that session). I got round it for now by rolling back to 3.11.576 which has the debugger issues but it much more stable.

Since the pre-release is tied into the Alpha it would be reasonable to suggest Xamarin forms stable will be tied into the stable Xamarin release. All these issues are a pain as I have a demo to knock together for next Wednesday to be presented to the board :neutral:

@NMackay:
    You're welcome.

All these issues are a pain as I have a demo to knock together for next Wednesday to be presented to the board :neutral:

Yes, it is definitely a pain - and this for months now...
    But... nevertheless... we have to pick-out the "best" SW-peace's (XF version + IS version) out for our work...
    :smiley: I wish you best success for presentation to the board (I'll keep fingers crossed for you)! :smiley:

@FredyWenger

Thanks Fredy. Luckily most of the app framework/services have been developed for previous app so I should be able to knock something together pretty quickly which will be reusable.