Nested navigation tabbed page

Hi all,

I have a view with as root item a TabbedPage. To this TabbedPage I add multiple children (the tabs) but nested in a Navigation page. (so each tab will contain its own navigation hierarchy, so the tabs will be displayed always) The code for this looks like this:
this.Children.Add(new NavigationPage(new MyViewList()))

The problem comes when I want to show a page that is not a tab (in my case a Search button in the toolbar). So I want to click on the toolbaritem and show a new page (the tabs do not need to be visible there) with a back button which brings you back to the TabbedPage view. For this it is needed that the TabbedPage is also in a NavigationPage which allows you to push and pop screens, to view other pages.

So I did this, but the UI cannot handle this (two toolbars nested because of the two navigation pages nested) which makes sense. After that I was stuck, because I cannot find another solution for this problem.

What I basically want is to show a new screen from a tabbed page (which contains navigation pages as children) which allows the user to go back in the normal way (so on iOS by showing a back button in the left top corner). So solutions where I need to set Application.Current.MainPage to a new screen will not be possible I think.

Do any of you have a solution for this?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Gerco Brandwijk

• GercoBrandwijkGercoBrandwijk USMember ✭✭

I found a solution by myself. I am starting the TabbedPage as a NavigationPage, so like:
    Application.Current.MainPage = new NavigationPage(new MyTabbedPage());

And in this TabbedPage object (constructor method after calling the InitializeComponent) I am using this line to disable the navigationbar for this NavigationPage:
    NavigationPage.SetHasNavigationBar(this, false);

Now that navigation bar of the first navigation page is not showed anymore, but you can still use the Navigation property on the TabbedPage like:
    tabbedPage.Navigation.PushAsync(new MyViewThatIsNotATab());

The problem with this is that Android does not allow nested navigationpages.. So this solution is breaking on Android right now. Does anyone knows a solution for this?

• OmarSOmarS USMember ✭✭

Here is a cheap solution, but maybe you could:

Do a PushModalAsync on each of your tabbedPage.

On your new page, add a StackLayout and a ScrollView inside which you put your page content.

On the StackLayout, add a button on the left and put " < Back" or whatever as text.

On the button.Clicked, do PopModalAsync();

This way, you have fake NavigationPages. It's limited by the fact that you have a SrollView so you can't do everything you want, but I used it in one of my project, and it works well.

Creating an own Back button is not the way I want it. But thanks for sharing your thoughts.

The solution I have now is to check on which platform we are and decide than if I want nested NavigationPages or not. But by doing that I cannot see the tabs on every page on Android anymore, so that's also not a solution.

Is there a reason why Xamarin.Android does not support nested Navigation Pages while Xamarin.iOS supports it? Perhaps someone from the Xamarin team can answer this?

• AdamPAdamP AUUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015

Android only supports one navigation page at a time. This is an Android limitation. Windows and iOS support multiple.

Unfortunately the Xamarin team can't do anything about this because it's a limitation of the platform.

edited April 2015

In which Android element is the NavigationPage converted to on the Android platform?

Found it myself: http://iosapi.xamarin.com/?link=T:Xamarin.Forms.INavigation

• SupreetTare.9314SupreetTare.9314 GBUniversity ✭✭

Hey @GercoBrandwijk can you please share some code that you used to solve this issue?
    Thanks

edited June 2015

@STARE
    I have a splash screen called ViewSplash. After a certain period I start a view called ViewMain with the following code:

Application.Current.MainPage = new NavigationPage(new ViewMain() { Title = "App title" });

(so the NavigationPage is created right now)

My ViewMain class is derived from TabbedPage. In the ViewMain class I have the following code:

if (Device.OS.Equals(TargetPlatform.iOS))
    {
            // Don't show first navigation bar
            NavigationPage.SetHasNavigationBar(this, false);

// Add a child that is a NavigationPage with a View inside. An extra NavigationPage is possible on iOS. So every tab has its own navigation stack
            this.Children.Add(new NavigationPage(new View()));
    }
    else
    {
            // Add a child that is a view. So no Navigation Page, because we already created that one in the ViewSplash
            this.Children.Add(new View());
    }

I hope that this helps you. Feel free to ask otherwise.

• SupreetTare.9314SupreetTare.9314 GBUniversity ✭✭

Hi @GercoBrandwijk Thanks for the sample. I did exactly the same thing in my app yesterday.
    But with this you don't get navigation within the tabs in Android. From what I read, since the Android does not support multiple navigation stacks, that may not be possible at all.

Let me know if that's the case for you too

Thanks
    ST

That's correct. Android is not supporting double navigation stacks like you said, so the sample code I showed is making an extra navigation stack only on iPhone (where it is possible) and not on Android.