Xamarin.Forms on the fast lane…?

FredyWengerFredyWenger CHInsider ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you noted, that Xamarin.Forms will pass Xamarin.iOS in a few days regarding postings (today 26.4k vs 26.7k) and also will pass Xamarin.Android in no time?.
I further have seen, that there are about equal (or more) active users in the XF-Forum as in iOS + Android (together).
This all, although XF is available - I think - not a full year now. :flushed:

So… let’s hope that Xamarin reacts and increases the XF-staff accordingly (XF-development, XF-support, XF-bugzilla, XF-documentation and - especially also XF-VS-Integration -> debugging!). :smirk::smirk:

• XamarinNoobXamarinNoob USMember

Yes please, I have certainly noticed that official Xamarin people have been absent from posting for awhile now.

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University mod
    edited April 2015

@FredyWenger

We have been actively campaigning via our customer success team and some high profile people associated with Xamarin to give the Forms team more resource and to define a clearer roadmap for Forms, I am a big fan of Forms, the feedback is not negative in that regard. I've compiled reports on why it's important to us an an enterprise user, why XAML is important etc. I do know that Xamarin Forms will be developed going forwards, the message is that we need certain features and we need issues resolved quicker. I know this feedback is going to senior management and it is been discussed internally at a high level. Fingers crossed that the owners will listen.

• FredyWengerFredyWenger CHInsider ✭✭✭✭✭

@NMackay:
    Thanks for your (interesting) posting here :smile:
    That sound's good for me... :+1:
    I also really like XF, but wish that Xamarin would do development, support and information (much) more professional.
    It can't be, that the whole app has to be retested completely form every customer after every update to see, what - maybe - is broken (breaking changes).
    Further Xamarin has really good (paying!) customers, that are willing to work a lot for Xamarin for free (testing, filing bugs, make descriptions for other Xamarin-Customers, and so on.)
    If this is not estimated from Xamarin (some positive feedback, have a look at the bug's in the near time after posting and give feedback to the bugs, e.t.c.) this will stop one time, as nobody want to waste his time.
    A good example are the debugger-problems with the XF-Integration in VS, that exists since months now and becomes worse and worse instead of better.
    This hurts the productivity of every VS-developer what really is not nice...
    :)So, let's finally hope, things becomes better in the near time and your message is heard by the Xamarin-management!:)

• MarcoTMarcoT USMember ✭✭

In this period, I'm developing an app with Xamarin forms, and an app with Xamarin iOS.

I can say, that I prefer Xamarin forms with no doubts. (and I don't use XAML, i write all the UI by code, as I wrote a small library that help me to create UI in a very short time).

Of course, I noticed all the bugs in Xamarin Forms and the not so good plugin in Visual Studio (it's impossible to debug an app).
    I noticed also that every update with Xamarin Forms is a "game with the fate", sometimes they change so many behaviours that some things stop to work.

At the end, as @FredyWenger said, Xamarin has really good (paying!) customers (I can say that I moved from Italy to Uk to work on a Xamarin project), but I (WE) want to see more effort by Xamarin to improve the things. Maybe you should expand the development team (Here on the forum seems to me that there is only one person of the team that speaks of the development of Xamarin Form).

Anyway, I really love Xamarin, but I hope that Xamarin will solve all these problems!

edited April 2015

@FredyWenger

Totally agree. We have exactly the same concerns. An enterprise license isn't cheap. You done a lot of good guides to help people to get started. The Forms forum is one of the most supportive and positive technology forums I've ever been involved in, I check it in my spare time and try and assist. Because everyone see's the potential in Forms they want to help push it along. If Xamarin don't engage though more and get the framework more stable customers will drift away. As long as we see progress we'll continue to buy into it. As you say, lets hope they listen because it would be a shame if Forms goes the way of Silverlight.

@NMackay:
    Yes it seems, as we have the same mind-set :smile:

it would be a shame if Forms goes the way of Silverlight.

I don't think that it goes away, as I think Xamarin has a lot, lot, lot new customers now with XF and the VS-integration.
    As it is so, I think, the also should have enough money to enhance the corresponding staff (I think / hope) that they are doing that right now, but have some problem's to find peoples with the needed background (at least for development and support- for the other themes (documentation, information and similar) that should not be the problem.

• MigueldeIcazaMigueldeIcaza USXamarin Team Xamurai

Hello folks!

Miguel from Xamarin here.

The Xamarin.Forms team goal right now is to defects that the community has reported, improve the performance, reduce memory usage. We recently added a major feature, support for Windows Apps (aka "Windows Store", aka "WinRT", aka "Metro").

If we have been quiet recently, it is purely because we have been working non-stop.

Miguel

Hi Miguel

Thanks for your posting here, so we see, that the management takes notice:smile:
    Please take the posts as constructive critic but take it seriously.
    Thanks a lot!

• SilverBleachSilverBleach ZAMember
    edited April 2015

@MigueldeIcaza Glad to hear from you!
    You have my thanks for your spectacular work on Xamarin.Forms.

Do you have any response regarding the idea of making its source code available?
    https://xamarin.uservoice.com/forums/258559-xamarin-forms-suggestions/suggestions/6192634-open-source-xamarin-forms-to-empower-the-community

It is certainly a popular request that would solve the biggest issue with bugs: We can't fix them ourselves to quickly launch our apps (and contribute the fix back to you).

• MigueldeIcazaMigueldeIcaza USXamarin Team Xamurai

Silver,

We do not currently have plans to make the source code for Xamarin.Forms available, but I will bring this feedback to my peers.

• BrianRepettiBrianRepetti USUniversity ✭✭✭

Just want to say keep up the great work. We just launched two apps this month on all 3 platforms at the same exact time. We couldn't have done it without Xamarin.Forms .

Xamarin.Forms has evolved greatly since its announcement. Thank you. I'm very excited to see what happens in the next few months.

• GeoffArmstrongGeoffArmstrong CAMember ✭✭

Really appreciating the Xamarin.Forms team's effort on all this. The custom renderers model works really well, and it allows the right level of being able to customize per-platform where it works.

Xamarin.Forms is the reason we bought into the Xamarin ecosystem. Before, we were going to do it with separate native apps. But when Xamarin.Forms was announced, it caused us to reevaluate things.

• OtaMaresOtaMares DEMember ✭✭

@NMackay may i ask how you are involved with xamarin? :) Your post sounds very promising.

• I totally agree. Xamarin.Forms has a bright future.

@MigueldeIcaza I just wish the community could help. Xamarin.Forms is trying to solve a very, very difficult problem and it could use all the help it can find. Everyone is drooling over this technology because it is the silver bullet everyone has been waiting for. I am more than willing to donate my time to fix bugs and help out, but I can't if it isn't open source.

• JahnOttoAndersenJahnOttoAndersen NOMember ✭✭

Xamarin Forms is the very reason I just purchased a license... :-)

Keep up the good work!

@OtaMares

I'm not involved, we're just a customer :smile:

• XamarinNoobXamarinNoob USMember

I just made a new post asking a Linker question and got: Your post will appear after it is approved.... Is that new for everyone?

• RaphaelSchindlerRaphaelSchindler USMember ✭✭✭

I'm also really happy that Forms exists.
    And yes, they need a larger team to fix bugs and all the other problems. Or make the source code available.
    But even with all the problems and bugs, I think that Forms is the best way to create Apps for all Platforms.
    I managed to create a complete CRM-System in 4 months as a solo developer. Without Forms this wouldn't be possible.

It's done...
    Forms has passed also Android now regarding postings