Xamarin.Forms and Fire Phone?

Hey! I'm looking for a device to test android apps (made with xamarin forms) and the fire phone is on sale at a really really good price. (check it out it's like 200$)
Will the apk xamarin.forms generates work out of the box on the fire phone? currently I use things like google maps and Google Play Services nuget packages for admob and some other stuff.
Will this be a good purchase for a test device? (I'm not currently looking or planning to add specific Fire OS API's. I'm developing for the Play Store)

• rmaciasrmacias USBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015

Fire OS does not come with Google Play Services installed (Google Play Store & Google Apps), so none of your Google Play Services stuff will work on a FireOS device. In the past, I've read that it was rather difficult to get it installed, but it may be easier according to this. I've never tried it so that is a risk if you decide to go that route.

On the other hand, a Moto G is a great phone for development (I have a couple of those). You can get them from Motorola for about $180 off contract. You can also get them (pre-paid) from Wally World for about $50, assuming you don't want to use as your daily driver.

• Hey!, thank you for your amazing answer I was really lost on this subject.
    So Fire Phone in theory should work if I install those Google apps... but it's a risk.
    Moto G seems great, and it's running on 5.1 already.
    Ok I'm still undecided but at least now I have more info.
    Thank you!

• rmaciasrmacias USBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, it should work in theory as long as Google Play Services can be installed with that modified version posted on XDA Developers. But it may or may not work well. If your app utilizes Google Play Services, I would recommend getting a device that is certified for running Google Play Services.

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod

I do a lot of Android testing of my Xamarin.Forms app on a Moto E. Very good value, and actually quite a nice phone. I have it running Android 4.4.4 . Never had any problems with it running Xamarin stuff.