Task.delay(): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Hi,

Thank you for looking into this problem!
I have been getting the exception "System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" when trying to invoke "task.delay()" right after SetContentView() in OnCreate().

Code:
public class MainActivity : Activity, ILocationListener
{
protected override void OnCreate (Bundle bundle)
{
base.OnCreate (bundle);

// Set our view from the "main" layout resource
        SetContentView (Resource.Layout.Main);

Console.WriteLine ("Starting the delay task!");
        try {
            Task.Delay (2000);
        }
        catch(Exception e) {
            Console.WriteLine ("Error occured at Task.delay(): {0}", e);
        }

Application Output and Exception Message:
[chromium] ### WebView Version 40 (1832189-arm) (code 424501)
Thread started: #2
Error occured at Task.delay(): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at System.Threading.Timer..ctor (System.Threading.TimerCallback callback, System.Object state, Int32 dueTime, Int32 period) [0x00000] in :0
at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Threading.Timer:.ctor (System.Threading.TimerCallback,object,int,int)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Delay (Int32 millisecondsDelay, CancellationToken cancellationToken) [0x00000] in :0
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Delay (Int32 millisecondsDelay) [0x00000] in :0
at BLEprototype_v0002.MainActivity.OnCreate (Android.OS.Bundle bundle) [0x00021] in \BLEprototype_v0002\BLEprototype_v0002\MainActivity.cs:33

More Interestingly, if I invoke the "Task.Delay()" before "setContentView()", there would be no exception.
The Resource.Layout.Main is a webView:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

Target: Nexus 5, Android 5.1
Xamarin Studio: 5.8.3

I'd be really appreciate for any hint on how this error occur...

Thank you,
Peter

Answers

• SebastianSeidel.9226SebastianSeidel.9226 DEInsider, University ✭✭✭✭

I can not reproduce this behavior within an app of mine. Can you provide a small sample?

• CheesebaronCheesebaron DKInsider, University mod

You are not awaiting the Task.Delay call, the code will just continue without waiting...

Not awaiting Task.Delay shouldn't throw an exception. There must be something else wrong.

It is still wrong to not await it.

Thats true.

• PeterHsPeterHs CAMember

Thank you both for you replies!
    It is indeed a weird bug (also my lack of my experience in C# and the Xamarin world..)

I have tried both ways of implementation, with and without the await.
    (I guess what I really want to find out is why Task.Delay() would result in such error.)

The MainActivity.txt (actually a .cs) is attached, it is also the only code that is running.
    It seems like it has something to do with the use of "webview" because when I tried such implementation on other sample apps say Tasky which don't require the use of webview, such error doesn't occur.

Code: (without await)
    [Activity (Label = "Debug", MainLauncher = true, Icon = "@drawable/icon")]
    public class MainActivity : Activity
    {
    protected WebView WebView;

protected override void OnCreate (Bundle bundle)
        {
            base.OnCreate (bundle);

// Set our view from the "main" layout resource
            SetContentView (Resource.Layout.Main);

Console.WriteLine ("Starting the delay task!");
            try {
                Task.Delay (5000);
            }
            catch(Exception e) {
                Console.WriteLine ("Error occured at Task.delay(): {0}", e);
            }

WebView = FindViewById<WebView>(Resource.Id.WebView);
            WebView.Settings.JavaScriptEnabled = true;
            WebView.LoadUrl("http://www.google.com");
        }
    }

The await version is in the attached file.
    (I am not completely sure I did it right, but it was compiled and ran on my target)

Application output and exception message (same / very similar to the one in the original post):
    Starting the delay task!
    Thread started: #2
    Error occured at Task.delay(): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    at System.Collections.SortedList.EnsureCapacity (Int32 n, Int32 free) [0x00000] in :0
    at System.Collections.SortedList.PutImpl (System.Object key, System.Object value, Boolean overwrite) [0x00000] in :0
    at System.Collections.SortedList.Add (System.Object key, System.Object value) [0x00000] in :0
    at System.Threading.Timer+Scheduler.Add (System.Threading.Timer timer) [0x00000] in :0
    at System.Threading.Timer+Scheduler.Change (System.Threading.Timer timer, Int64 new_next_run) [0x00000] in :0
    at System.Threading.Timer.Change (Int64 dueTime, Int64 period, Boolean first) [0x00000] in :0
    at System.Threading.Timer.Init (System.Threading.TimerCallback callback, System.Object state, Int64 dueTime, Int64 period) [0x00000] in :0
    at System.Threading.Timer..ctor (System.Threading.TimerCallback callback, System.Object state, Int32 dueTime, Int32 period) [0x00000] in :0
    at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Threading.Timer:.ctor (System.Threading.TimerCallback,object,int,int)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Delay (Int32 millisecondsDelay, CancellationToken cancellationToken) [0x00000] in :0
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Delay (Int32 millisecondsDelay) [0x00000] in :0
    at BLEprototype_debug.MainActivity.OnCreate (Android.OS.Bundle bundle) [0x00021] in \BLEprototype_debug\BLEprototype_debug\MainActivity.cs:30

• Sam.3816Sam.3816 USMember ✭✭

Hi There this seems to be very similar to the issue I am experiencing when debugging a webview application under lollipop, I have no resolution but is your isseu only happening under debug and under a lollipop device ?

I ask as I am seeing

in my console when my app fails

• Sam.3816Sam.3816 USMember ✭✭

Reading around on this error it appears to be very widespread hopefully someone will offer a resolution soon.

Hi Sam,

Good thing you brought it up.
    I tried running the app in release instead of debug, the task.delay() worked fine! - no more exceptions.
    However, as I changed it back to debug, the problem is still there.
    As of the Android version, I am running 5.1 indeed.

I actually didn't need the task.delay() at where it was in the code I provided above.
    Originally, I encountered this task.delay() exception from an API within a 3rd party package that I use. (Monkey.Robotics)
    Before using webview, I used fragments to develop the UI along with the Monkey.Robotics package, where calling the same API (StartScanningForDevices()) wouldn't throw the task.delay() exception.
    Therefore, I suspected this bug could be related to the use of webview. So I stripped out everything, leaving just the sample code you can see from my previous post and yes, the task.delay() exception still happens.

One interesting thing tho,
    ever since I put the task.delay() there after setcontentview(), despite the first exception which is caught, any subsequent calls to task.delay() would work fine without exception thrown.
    So, it became a workaround for me now... a very nasty hack.

By the way,
    This happened on a Nexus 5.
    We tried another phone today, an Asus Zen phone running Android 4.4.2,
    such error didn't occur.

• WilliamJockuschWilliamJockusch USMember ✭✭

Same problem here, on a Google Nexus 7. Crashes in debug more with a null reference exception, works fine in release mode.

• MihaMarkicMihaMarkic SI ✭✭✭✭

Guys, you should really report this to bugzilla.

• LennartBergLennartBerg USMember

Having the same issue on Mono 4.0 with debian linux ( rasberry PI 2)
    has this been reported?

@LennartBerg I don't think so. I haven't seen the issue in any of my apps. Please go ahead and report it on bugzilla.

• Esaavedra89Esaavedra89 USMember ✭✭

I'm getting this exception using await Task.Run() but the error occur even in release mode.