Stable release: Xamarin.iOS 8.10.0, new features and bug fixes

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited May 2015 in Xamarin.iOS

Released versions:

Windows

Mac

Reason for release: New features and bug fixes.

Release notes: http://developer.xamarin.com/releases/ios/xamarin.ios_8/xamarin.ios_8.10/

Date published:

NOTE: This feature release includes a significant number of changes. There are several breaking changes as well as several known issues (see below) compared to the previous Stable versions. Many of the known issues have been addressed in the follow-up "service release" currently available on the Beta and Alpha channels.

Previous versions, downgrading

You can downgrade back to the previous Stable version by manually reinstalling each Stable package (see also the article about downgrading). The links to the previous Stable versions are:

Windows

Mac

Guidelines for this thread

1. This first post will be updated regularly.

2. Hopefully this thread will help answer "what might break if I update to this release?"

3. If you find a new problem that is specific to this version, please file a bug report (if this link redirects to the top-level https://kb.xamarin.com/ page the first time you click it, try clicking it once more).

4. Please discuss older bugs that are unchanged in this release compared to the previous Stable version in Bugzilla instead.

5. Of course for questions and discussions about topics other than bugs, feel free start new forum threads.

Xamarin Studio new publishing workflow

Important: Xamarin Studio 5.9 uses a new workflow to create final Android, iOS, and Mac apps for publication. The old menu items for creating publishable APKs, iOS archives, and iOS .ipa files have been removed.

See: http://developer.xamarin.com/releases/studio/xamarin.studio_5.9/xamarin.studio_5.9/#Publishing_Workflow

Fixes for common old known issues from previous releases

(Where not already documented in the release notes)

• Non-public Bug 29100 - [iOS] "Could not find a storyboard named 'MainStoryboard' in bundle NSBundle" when using Xcode 6.3 with size classes and deploying to iOS 7

Remaining known issues from previous XamarinVS release threads

• Bug 28027 - [XamarinVS] [iOS] Debugger sometimes fails to connect properly after the app launches

We'd be interesting in the number of users seeing this issue. If you think you might be seeing this issue, feel free to check the questions on the bug report. If your answers match, please either add yourself on CC on the bug report or leave a note on this forum thread. Thanks!

New known issues compared to the previous stable versions, with more common or severe issues near the top

• Bug 29133 - [XamarinVS] [iOS] [Android] Visual Studio hangs when debugging some iOS and Android applications that use multiple threads. Now fixed in the Alpha and Beta channels.

• Bug 29628 - [XamarinVS] [iOS] Breakpoints in Portable Class Libraries do not work because the .mdb symbol files are not copied properly. Related warning in the "Output -> Debug" window: "Symbol file ... doesn't match image". Now fixed in the Beta and Alpha channels. (Old workaround: force the .mdb files to be copied properly: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=29628#c7.

• Bug 29680 - [XamarinVS] [iOS] [Android] Ignorable "ERROR: Not implemented (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004001 (E_NOTIMPL))" message from the new Test Cloud integration. Now fixed in the Beta and Alpha channels. (Old partial workaround**: uninstall the Test Cloud integration: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=29680#c2.)

• Bug 29220 - [XamarinVS] [iOS] [Android] "ERROR: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: project" when opening and building projects. So far, this problem appears to be related to specifics of the system configuration. If anyone happens to notice one particular difference between a working project and a failing project (or a computer without the problem and a computer with the problem), be sure to let us know right away. Now fixed in the Beta and Alpha channels. (Old partial workaround: uninstall the Test Cloud integration: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=29680#c2.)

• Bug 28961 - [iOS] "error MT3001: Could not AOT the assembly", "error: invalid symbol redefinition". (This can also appear as "System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: startIndex > this.length" in the "Output -> Xamarin Log" in VS.) One common cause of this error is the use of [MethodImplAttribute(MethodImplOptions.Synchronized)]. Workaround for projects that use [MethodImplAttribute(MethodImplOptions.Synchronized)]: remove [MethodImplAttribute(MethodImplOptions.Synchronized)] and manually synchronize the methods using lock statements instead (https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=28961#c6).

• Bug 29605 - [iOS] "Error executing tool '/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/ibtool': Argument cannot be null. Parameter name: unformatted". Now fixed in the Alpha and Beta channels.

• Bug 29839 - [XamarinVS] [iOS] "Native linking error: warning: directory not found" when linking a static library into an iOS app using ${ProjectDir} in the "Additional mtouch arguments". Now fixed in the Beta and Alpha channels. (Old workaround: Replace ${ProjectDir} with ${TargetDir}/../../../. See https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=29839#c2 for an example.)

• Bug 28918 - [iOS] "Unexpected error ... Failed to resolve System.Security.Permissions.SecurityPermissionFlag". Now fixed in the Alpha and Beta channels. (Old workaround: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=28918#c21.)

• Bug 30171 - [Mono] [iOS] [Android] BinaryReader.ReadChar() returns incorrect result. Now fixed in the Beta and Alpha channels.

• Non-public Bug 30059 - [XamarinVS] [iOS] "Mono.Debugger.Soft.CommandException: Debuggee returned error code 200." when hitting breakpoints in PCLs in certain projects when running XamarinVS on certain computers.

• Bug 29211 - [iOS] Enabling linker with Profile 7 PCL that uses System.IO.Compression causes "Could not load file or assembly 'System.IO.Compression'" at run time. Workaround: add -linkskip=System.IO.Compression under "project options -> iOS Build -> Additional mtouch arguments".

• Bug 30420 - [iOS] DequeueReusableCell(cellIdentifier) returns null if this.TableView is called in the TableView constructor. Workaround: perform all initialization operations for the TableView in the ViewDidLoad() or ViewWillAppear() methods rather than the constructor.

• Bug 29745 - [iOS] Error due to duplicate symbols during native compilation for device: "duplicate symbol _monoeg_g_array_new" (and many similar messages). Workarounds: disable profiling under "Project Properties -> iOS Build", or if your app uses the -all_load linker flag (via either gcc_flags or LinkerFlags) try removing it.

• Bug 29849 - [XamarinVS] [iOS] The "Visual C# -> Mobile Apps -> Blank App (Xamarin.Forms Portable)" template includes an iOS project that has a non-empty value for the <CodesignEntitlements> property for the iPhoneSimulator configurations, meaning that the iPhoneSimulator configuration will attempt to perform code signing. This is inconsistent with the other templates and also with the corresponding Xamarin Studio template on Mac. Workaround: open the .csproj file in a text editor and delete the <CodesignEntitlements> property from all of the iPhoneSimulator configurations.

• Bug 29822 - [XamarinVS] [iOS] Setting "Build" number different from "Version" number causes IPA not to be copied to Windows, resulting in 0 KB .ipa file. Now fixed in the Alpha and Beta channels.

• Bug 29703 - [XamarinVS] [iOS] "Show IPA File In Build Server" fails if "Build" number is different from "Version" number. Now fixed in the Stable, Beta, and Alpha channels.

• Bug 29039 - [Mono] [iOS] [Android] CultureInfo.GetCultureInfo("ar-SA").DateTimeFormat throws a NullReferenceException for the ar-SA culture. Now fixed in the Alpha and Beta channels.

• Non-public Bug 29725 - [Xamarin Studio] [iOS] [Android] Expressions in the Watch window are cleared each time you stop debugging.

• Non-public Bug 29314 - [Xamarin Studio] [iOS] "Project Options -> iOS Build" shows two "Enable incremental builds" checkboxes. Workaround: use the bottommost checkbox. Now fixed in the Alpha and Beta channels.

Latest edits

EDIT May 19: Update the "fixed in" annotations to mention the new Beta channel release.
EDIT May 21: Increase severity ranking of Android Bug 28995 based on additional customer reports.
EDIT May 21: Add Mono Bug 30171, Android Bug 30057, iOS bug 29605, iOS Bug 30059.
EDIT May 21: Update versions for XamarinVS and iOS iTunesMetadata.plist hotfix (also fixes 29703). Delete some of the old EDIT history for simplicity. Add Android Bug 30318, Xamarin Studio Bug 30072.
EDIT May 27: Add XVS.Android Bug 30371. Beta channel now fixes 30171. Reset status of 29680 29220 29628 29839 because the "3.11.456" release notes were incorrect.
EDIT May 28: Add Android Bug 30548, iOS Bug 30420.

• BernieHabermeierBernieHabermeier USUniversity ✭✭

I just tried to build a project that works fine on stable release, but fails to build when switching to alpha. Here is the issue:

Done building target "_CollectBundleResources" in project "/Users/bernie/wannago/client/src/Client.Touch.Bindings/MMDrawerController/MMDrawerController.csproj" ("/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/Xamarin/iOS/Xamarin.iOS.ObjCBinding.Common.targets"); "_CreateEmbeddedResources" depends on it.

Target _CreateEmbeddedResources:
        Task "CreateEmbeddedResources"
            Using task CreateEmbeddedResources from Xamarin.ObjcBinding.Tasks.CreateEmbeddedResources, Xamarin.ObjcBinding.Tasks, Version=1.0.5569.39274, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
    /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/Xamarin/iOS/Xamarin.iOS.ObjCBinding.Common.targets: error : Error executing task CreateEmbeddedResources: Task does not have property "BundleResources" defined
            Error executing task CreateEmbeddedResources: Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.InvalidProjectFileException: Task does not have property "BundleResources" defined
      at Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.TaskEngine.Prepare (IDictionary`2 parameters) [0x00000] in :0 
      at Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.BuildTask.Execute () [0x00000] in :0 
            Done building target "_CreateEmbeddedResources" in project "/Users/bernie/wannago/client/src/Client.Touch.Bindings/MMDrawerController/MMDrawerController.csproj" ("/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/Xamarin/iOS/Xamarin.iOS.ObjCBinding.Common.targets"); "Build" depends on it.
            Done building target "Build" in project "/Users/bernie/wannago/client/src/Client.Touch.Bindings/MMDrawerController/MMDrawerController.csproj" ("/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/4.0.0/lib/mono/4.5/Microsoft.Common.targets").
            Target perfomance summary:
                 7.532 ms  _CollectBundleResources                                 1 calls
                 4.283 ms  _CreateEmbeddedResources                                1 calls
                 0.548 ms  _CreateGeneratedSourcesDir                              1 calls
                 0.207 ms  _ValidateEssentialProperties                            1 calls

Tasks perfomance summary:
                 7.305 ms  CollectBundleResources                                  1 calls
                 3.530 ms  CreateEmbeddedResources                                 1 calls
                 0.449 ms  MakeDir                                                 1 calls

Build FAILED.

I didn't spend much time looking into it... could well be my own fault... maybe the stable branch is more permissive on a missing BundleResources section, but it's not immediately clear to me how to address it.

• SteveGraddySteveGraddy USUniversity ✭✭

Well not sure what the issue is but I am unable to run any iOS project including the Xamarin simple PhoneWord app in the iPhone simulator with the latest alpha. I am receiving a error mt1008: Can not find part of path error. This is happening on two different machines. I switched to the stable channel and all is well again. Have a Xamarin University class tonight so I am staying with stable for now I guess.

• RolfBjarneKvingeRolfBjarneKvinge USXamarin Team Xamurai
    edited April 2015

@SteveGraddy: please file a bug report (http://bugzilla.xamarin.com) explaining your setup (are you using XI from Windows/VS or Mac/XS? etc)

edited April 2015

@BernieHabermeier: do you get the same error after restarting Xamarin Studio? If so, please file a bug (http://bugzilla.xamarin.com) and we'll look at it.

• PaulJohnson.0531PaulJohnson.0531 GBMember ✭✭

I've got a doozie of an issue here. I can build the project fine but when it is tried on iOS devices that had worked fine with the version pre April 2, no-one can run it as the provisioning profile is reporting to be incorrect. If I move back to beta, everything is fine and good in the world. The app builds fine in debug mode, deploys to my phones in debug but won't work on anything else. The build number is not changing either, it remains at 2.5 instead of whatever it should be

• TomPhilpotTomPhilpot USMember

Getting a crash after updating to the Alpha channel.

This only occurs when using the simulator in Debug mode if I have "Link SDK Assemblies" set. I can run in the Simulator in Release and on the device in Release. If I change the linker to "Do not link", I can build and run in Debug in the Simulator.

Could not load file or assembly 'System.IO.Compression' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. (System.IO.FileNotFoundException) at System.AppDomain.Load (System.Reflection.AssemblyName assemblyRef, System.Security.Policy.Evidence assemblySecurity) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at System.AppDomain.Load (System.Reflection.AssemblyName assemblyRef) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at System.Reflection.Assembly.Load (System.Reflection.AssemblyName assemblyRef) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at ObjCRuntime.Runtime.CollectReferencedAssemblies (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 assemblies, System.Reflection.Assembly assembly) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at ObjCRuntime.Runtime.CollectReferencedAssemblies (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 assemblies, System.Reflection.Assembly assembly) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at ObjCRuntime.Runtime.CollectReferencedAssemblies (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 assemblies, System.Reflection.Assembly assembly) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at ObjCRuntime.Runtime.RegisterEntryAssembly (System.Reflection.Assembly entry_assembly) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at ObjCRuntime.Runtime.RegisterEntryAssembly (IntPtr a) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at ObjCRuntime.Runtime.register_entry_assembly (IntPtr assembly) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at (wrapper native-to-managed) ObjCRuntime.Runtime:register_entry_assembly (intptr) 2015-04-14 09:17:54.140 FaithlifeiOSReaderAppLogosBible[1247:35904] critical: Stacktrace:

We have a PCL assembly that depends on System.IO.Compression, Version=4.0.0. In this 8.10 (as in previous releases) we get a warning about
    MTOUCH: warning MT3005: The dependency 'System.IO.Compression, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' of the assembly 'Libronix.Utility, Version=1.0.0.99, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' was not found. Please review the project's references. MTOUCH: warning MT3006: Could not compute a complete dependency map for the project. This will result in slower build times because Xamarin.iOS can't properly detect what needs to be rebuilt (and what does not need to be rebuilt). Please review previous warnings for more details.

In 8.8 (and 8.9.1) these warnings did not cause a crash.

• ChristianFalchChristianFalch NODeveloper Group Leader ✭✭✭

Problem with Xamarin.Forms Maps due to changes in iOS 8.10

Error message:
    Event registration is overwriting existing delegate. Either just use events or your own delegate: Xamarin.Forms.Maps.iOS.MapDelegate MapKit.MKMapView+_MKMapViewDelegate

Reproduction
    - Update Xamarin Studio and iOS (at least) with the latest releases from the beta channel
    - Create a new Xamarin.Forms solution with at least support for iOS
    - Add Xamarin.Forms.Maps using the nuget package manager
    - Add initialization code in the AppDelegate (global::Xamarin.FormsMaps.Init ();)
    - Add a map to the default Xamarin Forms page
    - Run the project using the iOS simulator

Observe that you get the error message above.

Note: The reason for this seems to be that the Xamarin.Forms Maps Renderer for iOS sets both the RegionMoved event and the Map delegate in its OnElementChanged method. This causes a test to fail in Xamarin iOS that tries to prevent us from use events and delegates at the same time when handling map events.

Reference on bugzilla: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=29191

• TomPhilpotTomPhilpot USMember

There's now a case for the issue I reported above: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=29211

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Thanks for the reports Tom and Christian!

I have added bug 29211 to the list of known issues in the first post in the thread, along with the workaround.

And I have replied on bug 29191. It looks like that Xamarin.Forms.Maps issue is fixed in Xamarin.Forms 1.4.2-pre2. The "Event registration is overwriting existing delegate" message is a new error in Xamarin.iOS 8.10 that guards against conflicting uses of Objective-C delegates vs. C# events. Xamarin.Forms.Maps 1.4.1 apparently included some incorrect code that caused a conflict, but it appears that conflict has been resolved in Xamarin.Forms.Maps 1.4.2-pre2.

• SteveGraddySteveGraddy USUniversity ✭✭

I waited for the next version of the Alpha and have the same issues as I stated above. I have added Bug 29225 for this issue on Bugzilla. Not sure if this is me or Xamarin Studio, but either way I need help getting this to work. Thanks...

edited April 2015

The versions listed in the first post in the thread have now been released to the Stable channel. The first post has been updated accordingly.

EDIT Apr 30: adjust wording to reduce ambiguity about which versions were released.

• AlexanderPAlexanderP USMember ✭✭

Hello.
    After update i am receiving following error:
    /Users/demogog/Dropbox/LB/TFS/solutions/dev/3.9/Solutions/Apple/64-bit/MobiMenu/MobiCMS.iOS.Tools/Images/barsync.png: Error: The path '../mobicms.ios.tools/Images/barsync.png' would result in a file outside of the app bundle and cannot be used. (MobiCMS.iOS.Tools)

I tried to open the csproj file in text editor to see if the path was wrong, but it looks like it should

I've attached the csproj file.

Anybody got any ideas?

• MatteoMonizzaMatteoMonizza ITBeta ✭✭
    edited April 2015

After update the Mono.Data.Sqlite.SqliteDataAdapter.Fill method doesn't return any data.. No data access to sqlite db anymore

• RalfKornmannRalfKornmann USMember

Can you please clarify something for me.

The release notes say "better float performances" and link to the mono description. The mono description say that this needs to be enabled manual. Is the same true for the ios(android) builds or is it enabled as part of the general optimisations.

• PaulFarrowPaulFarrow USMember

Upgraded from the stable channel today after being notified in Xamarin Studio.

Cant build our solution any more since upgrading to 8.10

Xamarin.iOS 8.10.0 Business Edition using framework: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneSimulator8.3.sdk
    MTOUCH: error MT0000: Unexpected error - Please file a bug report at http://bugzilla.xamarin.com
    Mono.Cecil.ResolutionException: Failed to resolve System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermissionAccess
    at Mono.Cecil.Mixin.CheckedResolve (Mono.Cecil.TypeReference self) [0x00000] in :0
    at Mono.Cecil.SignatureReader.ReadCustomAttributeEnum (Mono.Cecil.TypeReference enum_type) [0x00000] in :0
    at Mono.Cecil.SignatureReader.ReadCustomAttributeElementValue (Mono.Cecil.TypeReference type) [0x00000] in :0
    at Mono.Cecil.SignatureReader.ReadCustomAttributeElement (Mono.Cecil.TypeReference type) [0x00000] in :0
    at Mono.Cecil.SignatureReader.ReadCustomAttributeFixedArgument (Mono.Cecil.TypeReference type) [0x00000] in :0
    at Mono.Cecil.SignatureReader.ReadCustomAttributeNamedArgument (Mono.Collections.Generic.Collection1& fields, Mono.Collections.Generic.Collection1& properties) [0x00000] in :0
    at Mono.Cecil.SignatureReader.ReadCustomAttributeNamedArguments (UInt16 count, Mono.Collections.Generic.Collection1& fields, Mono.Collections.Generic.Collection1& properties) [0x00000] in :0
    at Mono.Cecil.SignatureReader.ReadSecurityAttribute () [0x00000] in :0
    at Mono.Cecil.MetadataReader.ReadSecurityDeclarationSignature (Mono.Cecil.SecurityDeclaration declaration) [0x00000] in :0
    at Mono.Cecil.SecurityDeclaration.m__1 (Mono.Cecil.SecurityDeclaration declaration, Mono.Cecil.MetadataReader reader) [0x00000] in :0
    at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.Read[SecurityDeclaration,SecurityDeclaration] (Mono.Cecil.SecurityDeclaration item, System.Func3 read) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at Mono.Cecil.SecurityDeclaration.Resolve () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at Mono.Cecil.SecurityDeclaration.get_SecurityAttributes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at Mono.Cecil.ImmediateModuleReader.ReadSecurityDeclarations (ISecurityDeclarationProvider provider) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at Mono.Cecil.ImmediateModuleReader.ReadMethods (Mono.Cecil.TypeDefinition type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at Mono.Cecil.ImmediateModuleReader.ReadType (Mono.Cecil.TypeDefinition type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at Mono.Cecil.ImmediateModuleReader.ReadTypes (Mono.Collections.Generic.Collection1 types) [0x00000] in :0
    at Mono.Cecil.ImmediateModuleReader.ReadModule (Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition module) [0x00000] in :0
    at Mono.Cecil.ModuleWriter.WriteModuleTo (Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition module, System.IO.Stream stream, Mono.Cecil.WriterParameters parameters) [0x00000] in :0
    at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.Write (System.IO.Stream stream, Mono.Cecil.WriterParameters parameters) [0x00000] in :0
    at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.Write (System.String fileName, Mono.Cecil.WriterParameters parameters) [0x00000] in :0
    at Mono.Cecil.AssemblyDefinition.Write (System.String fileName, Mono.Cecil.WriterParameters parameters) [0x00000] in :0
    at MTouch.SaveAssembly (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyDefinition assembly, System.String destination) [0x00000] in :0
    at MonoTouch.Assembly.RemoveResources (Boolean remove_resources, System.String target_directory, System.String nores_directory) [0x00000] in :0
    at MonoTouch.Target.ProcessAssemblies () [0x00000] in :0
    at MonoTouch.Application.BuildApp () [0x00000] in :0
    at MonoTouch.Application.Build () [0x00000] in :0
    at MTouch.Main2 (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in :0
    at MTouch.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in :0
    Task "MTouch" execution -- FAILED
    Done building target "_CompileToNative" in project "/Users/paulfarrow/Projects/HC/HCMobile/PTS.Mobile/PTS.UI/PTS.UI.Touch/PTS.UI.Touch.csproj".-- FAILED

Reverted back to 8.9 and it compiles with no issue. Any ideas?

• RahulPRahulP USMember ✭✭

this release broke label font rendering

• This release stop working on Visual Studio. The comunication between Build.Host and VS not working because on Windows the update don't install the latest version... 1 day spent behind this issue and no solution found

• MarianGieselerMarianGieseler USMember ✭✭
    edited April 2015

Thanks for release untested code!
    Xamarin.Forms.Maps.iOS.MapDelegate MapKit.MKMapView+_MKMapViewDelegate

How can you miss this bug?

edited April 2015

@MarianGieseler, please update to Xamarin.Forms 1.4.2, as discussed earlier in the thread: http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/comment/117323/#Comment_117323.

EDIT: be sure to update both the Xamarin.Forms and Xamarin.Forms.Maps NuGet packages in all projects in the solution.

• AndrewPiperAndrewPiper USMember
    edited April 2015

Can we get more explanation of the floating point changes. I updated this morning and now all my floating point calculations are getting NaNs like crazy, which is really messing up my app. I tried going back to my older setup and now cannot link any native libraries into the project so I cannot build using old versions of monotouch.

Is there a reason that this version would break my floating point math so badly that it comes out to NaN for almost any calculation? This was fine using version 8.6.

• I had to downgrade the installation. On windows the latest version install Xamarin.iOS ver. 8.6 and i think you have to repack the installer for Visual Studio. Let us know when you will do

@BrendanZagaeski thanks for your quick answer!
    Update to Xamarin 1.4.2.6359 won't fix this issue.

System.InvalidOperationException: Event registration is overwriting existing delegate. Either just use events or your own delegate:****.iOS.Renderer.MapViewRenderer+MapDelegate MapKit.MKMapView+_MKMapViewDelegate

Since two days i'm struggling with xamarin updates on all my mobile projects...

@MarianGieseler, hmm. Curious. I haven't been able to reproduce that issue on Xamarin.Forms 1.4.2 + Xamarin.Forms.Maps 1.4.2, although I was able to reproduce it on 1.4.1. See https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=29191 for additional details. As an experiment, you can try updating the project on that bug to Xamarin.Forms 1.4.2 + Xamarin.Forms.Maps 1.4.2, and see if it still throws the exception. In my tests, updating stopped the problem in that test case.

tested on both, mac and windows... same issue with Xamarin.Forms 1.4.2+ and Xamarin.Forms.Maps 1.4.2+. not curious, it's still a bug! any other ideas to fix that problem?

edited April 2015

@MarianGieseler, the most direct way forward will be if you can submit a test case that reproduces the issue in a new bug report (the notes about creating a test case and contacting support might also be helpful from the related KB article (if this link opens the top-level kb.xamarin.com/ page the first time you click it, try clicking it once more)). You can add a link to the new bug report back on this thread once it's ready. Thanks!

francescoantonelli.1443, that sounds like an unusual problem you ran into with the XamarinVS installer. To confirm: you were updating on Windows using the Stable updater channel dialog in Visual Studio, correct? As a little check, if you open that dialog right now, and click the "Check Now" link, does it give you the option to install Xamarin 3.11.445?

After XamarinVS 3.11.445 has been installed, "Help -> About Microsoft Visual Studio" should show the following Xamarin.iOS version:

Xamarin.iOS 8.10.0.0 (7741cc495ab0baf04ff0405d0604bc27f0ecae2e)

If the Xamarin.iOS version is different, that might mean some stale files somehow got left over from a previous Xamarin installation. If you like, you can try the steps from https://kb.xamarin.com/customer/portal/articles/1699832-how-do-i-perform-a-thorough-uninstall-for-xamarin-for-visual-studio- (if this link opens the top-level kb.xamarin.com/ page the first time you click it, try clicking it once more). With a little luck, manually deleting some of the left-over files might solve the problem.

@AlexanderP, it looks like the .csproj file attachment didn't come through. Feel free to try attaching it once more.

@MatteoMonizza, thanks for the report. I quickly checked two little sample apps that use Mono.Data.Sqlite:

They both behave as expected for me on Xamarin.iOS 8.10. So if you might be able to attach a test case that demonstrates the problem you're seeing on a new bug report, that would be excellent. Since it looks like you have a Business license, feel free to get in touch with the support team to help check the test case or trim it down from a larger app. The notes from the related KB article about creating a test case and contacting support might also be helpful. (If this link opens the top-level kb.xamarin.com/ page the first time you click it, try clicking it once more.) Thanks!

@PaulFarrow: this is a known bug we'll fix for the first service release (https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=28918)

Remove DidSelectAnnotationView Event on custom MKMapViewDelegate fixed my exception.
    Sorry for my confusion!

• Lewis_tLewis_t GBUniversity ✭✭

@RolfBjarneKvinge Do you have a date when that release will occur. We have the same issue.

edited May 2015

@LewisTodd: if everything goes to plan, the first service release will be in the Alpha channel next week.

Note that there are a few workarounds available: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=28918#c21

• @Brendan Zagaeski After deleting files like described on the KB i finally have the latest version on Windows.
    Thanks

@MarianGieseler, no worries. Glad you tracked down the problem!

francescoantonelli.1443, excellent. Glad that worked!

• francescoantonelli.0345francescoantonelli.0345 ITMember ✭✭
    edited May 2015

It's unbelievable... now the debug on VS stop working. Breakpoints don't stop execution and i can't debug anything.
    Does anybody have same problem?

• Another problem is that VS often go in "waiting operation status" and I have to kill the process.
    Now i downgrade to previous version and everything works fine. I think the 8.10 is not so stable

• MargaritaMarkinaMargaritaMarkina RUMember

francescoantonelli.1443

It's unbelievable... now the debug on VS stop working. Breakpoints don't stop execution and i can't debug anything.

I have the same problem
    cant debug at all - breakpoints doesnt hit.
    clean+rebuild doesnt fix...
    reboot my mac doesnt fix...
    checked "enable debugging" flag - it is on. Breakpoints still dont hit.

Found https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=29628
    will downgrade and try to develop further.

• MargaritaMarkinaMargaritaMarkina RUMember

francescoantonelli.1443

I have the same problem
    cant debug at all - breakpoints doesnt hit.
    clean+rebuild doesnt fix...
    reboot my mac doesnt fix...
    checked "enable debugging" flag - it is on. Breakpoints still dont hit.

Found https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=29628
    will downgrade and try to develop further.

Succeeded. Debugging breakpoints works now.

This discussion has been closed.