Stable release: Xamarin.Android 5.1.0, breaking changes, new features and bug fixes

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited May 2015 in Xamarin.Android

Released versions:

Windows

Mac

Reason for release: New features and bug fixes.

Release notes: http://developer.xamarin.com/releases/android/xamarin.android_5/xamarin.android_5.1/

Date published:

NOTE: This feature release includes a significant number of changes. There are several breaking changes as well as several known issues (see below) compared to the previous Stable versions. Many of the known issues have been addressed in the follow-up "service release" currently available on the Beta and Alpha channels.

Previous versions, downgrading

You can downgrade back to the previous Stable version by manually reinstalling each Stable package (see also the article about downgrading). The links to the previous Stable versions are:

Windows

Mac

Guidelines for this thread

1. This first post will be updated regularly.

2. Hopefully this thread will help answer "what might break if I update to this release?"

3. If you find a new problem that is specific to this version, please file a bug report (if this link redirects to the top-level https://kb.xamarin.com/ page the first time you click it, try clicking it once more).

4. Please discuss older bugs that are unchanged in this release compared to the previous Stable version in Bugzilla instead.

5. Of course for questions and discussions about topics other than bugs, feel free start new forum threads.

Android breaking changes

Important: Xamarin.Android 5.1 contains several breaking changes that will require corresponding code changes in your projects. These changes also alter the way unhandled exceptions behave in the debugger.

See: http://developer.xamarin.com/releases/android/xamarin.android_5/xamarin.android_5.1/#Breaking_Changes

• One change that is likely to require corresponding changes in your projects is that the "name mangling scheme for Android Callable Wrappers" has been modified. This means that the generated Java type names for C# classes are different. So for example you will now need to add explicit [Register] attributes on any C# classes that you want to reference using the view class= syntax in AXML files. If you only use the "XML element name" syntax in your AXML files (see "Use the Custom Component" in the docs), then you will not need to add [Register] attributes.

• Related Bug 29263 - Classes that are referenced by files in the "Resources/xml/" folder will currently all need [Register] attributes, even if the "XML element name" syntax is used. The fix for this inconsistency is available in the current Alpha channel builds.

• Due to the new Cross-VM Exception Propagation in Xamarin.Android 5.1, unhandled C# exceptions will by default not break on the original C# exception. They will instead break on a Java.Lang.RuntimeException, and the C# local variables will not be available at any position within the call stack. To access the local variables, you can do one of the following:

• Set the IDE to break on all exceptions. This will allow the debugger to break on the original C# exception, but it also means the debugger will break on all other exceptions of the same type, even if they are handled.

• Temporarily disable the new exception propagation by setting the XA_BROKEN_EXCEPTION_TRANSITIONS environment variable to true.

• Xamarin.Android Java bindings projects built using Xamarin.Android 5.1 are not backwards-compatible with Xamarin.Android 4.20 due to use of the new JValue* JNI method arguments. Attempting to use the libraries on 4.20 will result in a build error:

Reference to metadata item '... Android.Runtime.JValue* ...' ... could not be resolved.

Xamarin Studio new publishing workflow

Important: Xamarin Studio 5.9 uses a new workflow to create final Android, iOS, and Mac apps for publication. The old menu items for creating publishable APKs, iOS archives, and iOS .ipa files have been removed.

See: http://developer.xamarin.com/releases/studio/xamarin.studio_5.9/xamarin.studio_5.9/#Publishing_Workflow

New known issues compared to the previous stable versions, with more common or severe issues near the top

• Bug 29133 - [XamarinVS] [iOS] [Android] Visual Studio hangs when debugging some iOS and Android applications that use multiple threads. Now fixed in the Alpha and Beta channels.

• Bug 29570 - [Android] Greater-than and less-than comparisons of decimal numbers do not work correctly. Now fixed in the latest Stable, Alpha, and Beta channels.

• Bug 29680 - [XamarinVS] [iOS] [Android] Ignorable "ERROR: Not implemented (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004001 (E_NOTIMPL))" message from the new Test Cloud integration. Now fixed in the Beta and Alpha channels. (Old partial workaround**: uninstall the Test Cloud integration: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=29680#c2.)

• Bug 29220 - [XamarinVS] [iOS] [Android] "ERROR: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: project" when opening and building projects. So far, this problem appears to be related to specifics of the system configuration. If anyone happens to notice one particular difference between a working project and a failing project (or a computer without the problem and a computer with the problem), be sure to let us know right away. Now fixed in the Beta and Alpha channels. (Old partial workaround: uninstall the Test Cloud integration: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=29680#c2.)

• Bug 29568 - [Android] "No resource found that matches the given name", for AppCompat resources in the Android Support library. Now fixed in the Alpha and Beta channels.

• Non-public Bug 29172 - [Android] "'...Resource' does not contain a definition for `Id'" (for example, when using the Scandit component). Now fixed in the Alpha and Beta channels.

• Non-public Bug 28995 - [Android] On certain devices, certain apps crash frequently due to "System.ExecutionEngineException: SIGILL".

• Bug 30171 - [Mono] [iOS] [Android] BinaryReader.ReadChar() returns incorrect result. Now fixed in the Beta and Alpha channels.

• Bug 29730 - [Android] Event handlers subscribed to (some?) events that are bound to Java callbacks no longer work (for example ViewTreeObserver.GlobalLayout). Now fixed in the Alpha and Beta channels. (Old workaround: use the corresponding "Add/Remove...Listener" methods instead: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=29730#c2.)

• Bug 30318 - [Android] Windows only: Breakpoints in PCL projects do not work after cleaning solution, redeploying, and restarting debugging. Partial workaround: delete all the bin folders in the solution after cleaning.

• Bug 30371 - [Visual Studio] [Android] Project Properties display incorrect default values for "BundleAssemblies" and "EmbedAssembliesIntoApk" if they are not explicitly specified. This means that these properties can "automatically" change to incorrect values when you update other properties under "Project Properties -> Android Options". The incorrect values can cause secondary symptoms like Bug 30334 where breakpoints are not hit in the Debug configuration.

• Non-public Bug 30057 - [Android] Windows only: the debugger will not be able resolve breakpoints unless "Shared Runtime" is ON and the Linker is OFF (under "Project Properties -> Android Options" in Visual Studio or "Project Options -> Android Build" in Xamarin Studio).

• Bug 29326 - [Android] String resources defined in NuGet packages overwrite sting resources defined in app project, causing the displayed app name to be incorrect for example. Workaround: avoid using the same string key that is used in the NuGet packages.

• Bug 30548 - [Android] Under certain conditions new threads take several seconds to start. This problem seems to be triggered by Xamarin.Insights 1.10. Partial workarounds: downgrade Xamarin.Insights to version 1.9, or remove it entirely.

• [Bug 30072](https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=30072) - [Xamarin Studio] [Android] Xamarin Studio sometimes crashes with SIGABRT in gtk_text_view_validate_onscreen() after password is entered during "Import an Existing Key" in "Build -> Archive for Publishing -> Sign and Distribute" workflow.

• Non-public Bug 29170 - [Android] Profiling via log:sample causes the app to crash at startup. Now fixed in the Alpha and Beta channels.

• Non-public Bug 29538 - [Android] Profiling via the graphical Xamarin Profiler ("Run -> Start Profiling") causes the app to crash at startup.

• Non-public Bug 28557 - [Android] In certain cases breakpoints will only pause program execution the first time they are hit. Now fixed in the Alpha and Beta channels.

• Bug 29039 - [Mono] [iOS] [Android] CultureInfo.GetCultureInfo("ar-SA").DateTimeFormat throws a NullReferenceException for the ar-SA culture. Now fixed in the Alpha and Beta channels.

• Bug 29731 - [Android] Android.Bluetooth.BluetoothAdapter.Enable is incorrectly marked as [Obsolete("deprecated")] for API level 20 and higher.

• Non-public Bug 29725 - [Xamarin Studio] [iOS] [Android] Expressions in the Watch window are cleared each time you stop debugging.

• Bug 28210 - [XamarinVS] [Android] New projects created from templates show ignorable build warning: "@(Content) build action is not supported ... AndroidManifest.xml". Workaround: change the build action of "AndroidManifest.xml" to "none". Now fixed in the Alpha and Beta channels.

New known issues in new features

• [Android] The AOT compiler does not prevent multithreaded apps from being targeted to the armeabi architecture. These apps will crash at runtime because the armeabi architecture does not support multiple threads.

• [Android] Some AOT compilation scenarios fail by design but do not yet offer informative error messages.

• Non-public Bug 28600 - [Android] Intermediate AOT LLVM build files are written to the base project directory rather than the obj/ folder.

• Non-public Bug 28929 - [XamarinVS] [Android] The F# project template does not create a valid project in VS 2010.

Latest edits

EDIT May 19: Update the "fixed in" annotations to mention the new Beta channel release.
EDIT May 21: Increase severity ranking of Android Bug 28995 based on additional customer reports.
EDIT May 21: Add Mono Bug 30171, Android Bug 30057, iOS bug 29605, iOS Bug 30059.
EDIT May 21: Update versions for XamarinVS and iOS iTunesMetadata.plist hotfix (also fixes 29703). Delete some of the old EDIT history for simplicity. Add Android Bug 30318, Xamarin Studio Bug 30072.
EDIT May 27: Add XVS.Android Bug 30371. Beta channel now fixes 30171. Reset status of 29680 29220 29628 29839 because the "3.11.456" release notes were incorrect.
EDIT May 28: Add Android Bug 30548, iOS Bug 30420.

• Anand.0760Anand.0760 USUniversity
    edited April 2015

Hi Brendan,

Lets say if I upgraded to Xamarin.Android 5.1 in Visual Studio, Is there a way to revert back to older stable release?
    I am using Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2013.

Thanks
    Anand

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Sure thing Anand.0760. The easiest option is to downgrade back to the current Stable version by switching back to the Stable updater channel. See also guideline #1 ("You can downgrade back to Stable...") in the first post in this thread for a few more details.

• JeremyKolbJeremyKolb USMember ✭✭✭

Will this mean that we have to recompile all existing libraries with views in them and add [Register] for them to work properly with 5.1+?

• I tried upgrading to 5.1 and my application now deploys with "$projectname$" instead of the true name defined in the manifest.

• NickolasShpotenkoNickolasShpotenko UAMember ✭✭

This version broke my bindings. I can't build project , because null reference exception in method get_JavaName . I think problem in new names of generated classes.

edited April 2015

@JeremyKolb

• If you use view class= syntax in the .axml files:

<view class="myandroidlibrary.MyCustomView"
          android:layout_width="match_parent"
          android:layout_height="wrap_content" />

Then yes, you will need to add a [Register("myandroidlibrary.MyCustomView")] attribute on the MyCustomView C# class.

• If you instead use "XML element name" syntax in the .axml files (see "If your custom View component is not defined as an inner class" in the Custom Components docs):

<MyAndroidLibrary.MyCustomView
          android:layout_width="match_parent"
          android:layout_height="wrap_content" />

Then no, you will not need to add a Register attribute. Xamarin.Android will replace "MyAndroidLibrary" with the correct MD5 sum automatically while pre-processing the .axml file, before the Java build phase.

I have updated the first post in this thread to mention this distinction.

@JonathanChapman, by luck it looks like another user might have reported that same problem along with a test case to reproduce the issue here: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=29326.

If you suspect the issue you're seeing is different from that bug report, feel free to file another bug report that has its own attached test case, and then paste the bug link back on this thread. Thanks!

• Thanks @BrendanZagaeski I do have Insights in my project so it would appear that this is the same bug.

• HalukmyHalukmy TRMember ✭✭

Halukmy, interesting. If manually deleting all of the bin and obj folders and then rebuilding does not solve the problem, the most direct way forward would be if you could zip up and attach your full project (or even better, a trimmed down test case that still demonstrates the same problem) on a new bug report (if this link redirects to the top-level kb.xamarin.com/ page the first time you click it, try clicking it once more), and then add a link to the new bug report back on this thread. (Be sure to include your detailed version information such as Android SDK Tools version in the bug report.) I searched for any existing bug reports that mention the same error message, but so far I haven't found any.

Thanks in advance!

These versions have now been released to the Stable channel. The first post in the thread has been updated accordingly.

• OtaMaresOtaMares DEMember ✭✭
    edited April 2015

Does enabled pro guard support also obfuscate crash reports in insights, or are stack traces still readable? Also the android pro guard documentation states there should be a mapping.txt, i cant find it in the release folder :(?

• DavidCarawayDavidCaraway USBeta ✭✭

I just installed the stable updates you released today. My Android projects no longer build. I was building and running them just fine prior to the update. The first and only error in the build log is:

Target _CompileToDalvik:
    Tool /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java execution started with arguments: -jar /Developer/android-sdk-macosx/build-tools/18.0.1//lib/dx.jar --no-strict --dex --output=obj/Debug/android/bin obj/Debug/android/bin/classes /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild-frameworks/MonoAndroid/v4.4/mono.android.jar /Users/David/.local/share/Xamarin/Android.Support.v13/20.0.0/content/support/v13/android-support-v13.jar
    unknown output extension: obj/Debug/android/bin
    usage:
    dx --dex [--debug] [--verbose] [--positions=] [--no-locals]...........

I posted a thread on this too. Your help will be appreciated.

OK, I fixed my problem. I had to reinstall Xamarin. Despite pulling down this update the installer indicated it needed to install Xamarin Android 5.1.0 and the Android SDK 22. Something must not have updated properly.

Is it the intent of Xamarin to limit AOT to those with an Enterprise license? That seems like an odd feature to link to an enterprise license. My enterprise is an enterprise of 1.

• AlexMetcalfeAlexMetcalfe USMember, University

@Halukmy we are having the same issue as you, we have raised this bug report: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=29568

edited August 2015

Thanks David for the information about reinstalling to fix the dex "unknown output extension" error! That will be helpful to have on this thread in case anyone else runs into the same issue.

On the AOT feature, for the moment it is indeed limited to the Enterprise tier. That may change in the future.

EDIT
    AOT feature can be used with Business tier as well

• AlbilagaLinggraPradanaAlbilagaLinggraPradana IDMember ✭✭
    edited April 2015

I have just updated Xamarin Android to Xamarin Android 5.1 and then I realized that mono.android.support.v4 is deleted
    And from documentation I need to upgrade to Xamarin.Android.Support.v4 and I've done it. But now everytime I try to run my app I get an exception

java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to instantiate application com.androidapp.BuquApplication: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Didn't find class "com.androidapp.BuquApplication" on path: DexPathList[[zip file "/data/app/com.library.android-2.apk"],

In earlier Xamarin Android version it works fine. Anybody knows the answer?

Anyway how I can revert to earlier Xamarin.Android version?

• PavelIvanovPavelIvanov RUMember ✭✭

I have the same issue as Albilaga Linggra Pradana:
    java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to instantiate application com.application.MyApplication.
    How can I solve this?

• QonstruktQonstrukt NLMember ✭✭

It seems I can't use the Android Support Library themes in an Android library project since 5.1.
    I've got the following in my Styles.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
    <resources xmlns:app="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res-auto">
      <style name="Theme.MyApp" parent="@style/Theme.AppCompat.Light.NoActionBar" />
      <style name="Theme.MyApp.Splash" parent="@style/Theme.AppCompat.NoActionBar" />

<style name="DefaultCardView">
        <item name="android:clickable">true</item>
        <item name="android:foreground">?android:attr/selectableItemBackground</item>
        <item name="android:focusable">true</item>
        <item name="cardBackgroundColor">@android:color/white</item>
        <item name="cardCornerRadius">2dp</item>
        <item name="cardElevation">2dp</item>
        <item name="cardPreventCornerOverlap">false</item>
        <item name="cardUseCompatPadding">false</item>
    </style>

And I get the following errors:

Resources/values/Styles.xml(2): error APT0000: Error retrieving parent for item: No resource found that matches the given name '@style/Theme.AppCompat.Light.NoActionBar'.
    Resources/values/Styles.xml(2): error APT0000: Error retrieving parent for item: No resource found that matches the given name '@style/Theme.AppCompat.NoActionBar'.
    Resources/values/Styles.xml(2): error APT0000: No resource found that matches the given name: attr 'cardBackgroundColor'.
    Resources/values/Styles.xml(2): error APT0000: No resource found that matches the given name: attr 'cardCornerRadius'.
    Resources/values/Styles.xml(2): error APT0000: No resource found that matches the given name: attr 'cardElevation'.
    Resources/values/Styles.xml(2): error APT0000: No resource found that matches the given name: attr 'cardPreventCornerOverlap'.
    Resources/values/Styles.xml(2): error APT0000: No resource found that matches the given name: attr 'cardUseCompatPadding'.

Reverting back to Xamarin.Android 4.20, everything works as expected.

I tried both the 22.0.0.0 and 22.1.1.1 Support Library releases.

@BrendanZagaeski. Thanks, please bring up the AOT matter internally. The ole adage applies here: pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered. As a business license holder for Mac, iOS, and Android, I pay Xamarin a lot of money each year. Xamarin isn't cheap. I'm a big fan, but now you are getting greedy. I pay enough to Xamarin to shave another second off of my app start time. Besides, you'd think Xamarin would want its technology to look as fast as possible.

@AlbilagaLinggraPradana @PavelIvanov, that sounds like it is most likely the result of the breaking change in the "name mangling scheme for Android Callable Wrappers" as discussed in the first post in the thread. If you discover that you cannot solve the problem by adding [Register] attributes to the C# classes [1], and none of the other breaking changes seem to account for the problem, then feel free to file a new bug report with a test case that demonstrates the problem. Thanks!

[1] For example, for com.androidapp.BuquApplication, you would add [Register("com.androidapp.BuquApplication")] on the C# BuquApplication class.

The first post in the thread also has a section on "downgrading" in case you would like to switch back to Xamarin.Android 4.20 for now.

edited May 2015

@Qonstrukt, many thanks for the report. That code excerpt and the example sample errors are very nice to have on this thread. I believe the symptoms you're seeing match Alex's bug: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=29568, which is now under investigation by the Xamarin.Android developers.

• DavideVernoleDavideVernole ITMember

Hi, I'm not able to install the last update Xamarin.Android 5.1.0.115. The issue seems to be related to the Java Virtual Machine installed on my Mac. The package requires to install the 8 Update 45 release that is already installed on my machine. Any idea on how to solve it?

• MMountainMMountain USMember ✭✭

forums.xamarin.com/discussion/39688/errors-no-longer-break-on-line-in-code

Not getting a response from email support, or the Android section so I thought I'd try here...

edited May 2015

@MMountain, that is the following breaking change, as discussed in the first post in the thread:

• Due to the new Cross-VM Exception Propagation in Xamarin.Android 5.1, unhandled C# exceptions will by default not break on the original C# exception. They will instead break on a Java.Lang.RuntimeException, and the C# local variables will not be available at any position within the call stack.

EDIT: See the first post for a couple of possible workarounds.

• MMountainMMountain USMember ✭✭

I see it now; not sure how I overlooked it, thanks.

What I don't understand is, and maybe you can direct me to someone who can explain it, why is this release not in the beta channel? I don't get how you guys push a release that breaks current builds. Please, in the future stop doing this. I don't like paying this much for a product, and spending hours in some cases fixing my code or finding work arounds because you promoted a bad build.

Imagine if Microsoft did this with Visual Studio, or Apple with XCode. You guys need to take a different approach to how you release updates if you want to continue to grow. As of right now, I can't recommend Xamarin to anyone because this situation has happened on numerous occasions. Go native, that's my recommendation.

No problemo. Happy to help.

In the future the QA and developer teams do hope to reduce the number of "new known issues" in the Stable Channel releases. That said, I should also note that that would not have changed the story for this "Cross-VM Exception Propagation" issue because that was an intentional "breaking change" rather than an unintentional regression.

The best way to stay apprised of intentional breaking changes is to read through the release notes before installing a new version (especially if the first digit of the version number has changed). Now that we have started posting these release announcements in the forums, it's probably not a bad idea to check these too before updating.

If you have a Business or Enterprise license and you'd like to discuss the Xamarin release strategy a bit more, feel free to get in touch using any of the per-product email addresses on http://store.xamarin.com/account. For example, if you have a concrete criterion that you'd like to see taken into consideration for future releases, feel free to send it in. The QA and developer teams are already working on increasing the importance of the criterion that "the number of known regressions with a severity of [some severity] should be lower than [some number]".

• WilliamJockuschWilliamJockusch USMember ✭✭

Re: cross-VM exception propogation

In my own development, I constantly rely on those C# backtraces. My likely defenses to this one are:

1)  Avoid throwing exceptions at all.  Instead, call a custom "Breakpoint" method 
         (which in turn calls Debugger.Break()), and
    2)  Permanently set that environment variable (to catch exceptions that are not thrown by my code.)

That said, I do recognize that in software development, sometimes there is a good reason to do something that is initially highly annoying. I certainly hope that's the case here.

• ManuelFManuelF ATUniversity
    edited May 2015

Since upgrading to Xamarin Android 5.1 I have a big issue with the View.ViewTreeObserver.GlobalLayout Event - which does not fire anymore. Can anyone confirm this bug?

this is what I am doing:
    myImageView.ViewTreeObserver.GlobalLayout += (object sender, EventArgs e) => manager.setImage ();

I do this in the onCreate function.. but still the event does not trigger the function. This worked fine before the update - and now again after the downgrade.

• QonstruktQonstrukt NLMember ✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski, thank you for your insight, and I agree on the known breaking changes. Especially in the case of new major releases, you can expect those, and you should always read the release notes to know what you're getting into.

I'm wondering though what your stance is on external libraries created by Xamarin itself. It really bothers me that stuff like extending AppCompat themes isn't working, as shown in my earlier post. Stuff can break, but it makes me wonder what tests have actually been done before releasing to stable. To me, compatibility and stability with the Android Support Libraries should be a number 1 consistency for any Xamarin Android release, otherwise it's useless.

I'm a bit surprised nobody has even noticed this in the beta channel, but people must've been too busy actually developing apps with the current stable release, just like me. ;-) And two weeks time in beta, for such a big release, isn't much.
    A big issue here is that you can't easily switch between the current stable and the last one, where you can between beta and stable. But two weeks notice isn't enough for me to create time to at least test the beta. Normally I only test a new beta when beginning work on a new app or release, in the hopes it reaches stable by the time we release to public.

So I think it's really great there's actually an alpha and beta channel, but for this release it seems this was released to stable a bit too soon. And that isn't the first time to be honest.

• Stable should be a no-brainer update for which you read the release notes, make your changes, and can expect it to run normally.
    • Beta is for releases which should work but haven't had the extensive testing yet of being used by many developers. And currently, in two weeks you apparently can't expect many developers to have used it yet.

Maybe the Android Support Libraries aren't currently very important in your stable release requirements, but personally I think they should be. There's no single app I will create without them, and I'm sure Google would agree with me. ;-)

• blynblyn USMember

I have an issue with a method now marked as obsolete. This updated has changed BluetoothAdapter.Enable() and BluetoothAdapter.Disable() to obsolete, see Xamarin docs. However according to the Android documentation it seems like it should still be available.

I can't seem to find any documentation of an intended change here - is this a mistake or am I missing something? Unfortunately this is a breaking change for us as we treat warnings as errors and rely on this functionality.

@ManuelF, thanks for the suggestion to look at the behavior of the ViewTreeObserver.GlobalLayout event. I was able to reproduce the problem, so I filed a bug report and will add it to the list of known issues in the first post in the thread accordingly.

@blyn, thanks for the question. As far as I can tell that is a bug, so I have filed a bug report for it and will add it to the list of known issues in the first post in the thread accordingly.

• ManuelFManuelF ATUniversity

Thanks Bendan.

• BradChaseBradChase USMember

ok I updated and I now get these errors:

Error 1 Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: project 0
    Error 155 Exception while loading assemblies: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load assembly 'System.Deployment, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'. Perhaps it doesn't exist in the Mono for Android profile?
    File name: 'System.Deployment.dll'
    at Xamarin.Android.Tuner.DirectoryAssemblyResolver.Resolve(AssemblyNameReference reference, ReaderParameters parameters)
    at Xamarin.Android.Tasks.ResolveAssemblies.AddAssemblyReferences(ICollection`1 assemblies, AssemblyDefinition assembly, Boolean topLevel)
    at Xamarin.Android.Tasks.ResolveAssemblies.Execute()

Any ideas?

@BradChase,

I suspect those are 2 separate issues:

1. Value cannot be null. Parameter name: project

I think this one matches one of the issues from the first post in the thread:

Bug 29220 - [Visual Studio] [Android] "ERROR: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: project"

2. Exception while loading assemblies: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load assembly 'System.Deployment ...

This sounds like maybe ClickOnce deployment was accidentally enabled on the project at some point (see https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg145029.aspx). Hopefully, the fix might be as simple as disabling ClickOnce deployment and then removing any remaining references to System.Deployment . If not, and if reverting to Xamarin.VisualStudio_3.9.547.msi (20fd2f0) successfully stops the problem, then the most direct way forward would be if you would be able to zip up and attach a minimal test case that demonstrates the problem on a new bug report. See the bug filing KB article for some additional hints and tips about filing a bug report and minimizing the test case. (If the link to the KB article redirects to the top-level kb.xamarin.com/ page the first time you click it, try clicking it once more.) Thanks!

edited May 2015

OK, I am going to need a little bit more help on this one. How do I remove Test Cloud? and also the iOS project is the only one with the Security tab and it is NOT enabled. ideas? Thanks for the feedback.

EDIT: After a full clean and rebuild the first one is gone now! The second one remains though.

edited May 2015

Also to be clear, System.Deployment does NOT exist anywhere in any files in my solution directory... And this is on my android project.

• @BrendanZagaeski Regarding the breakpoints/callstack issue, is that planned on being fixed in the near future, or is it going to be a long-term issue (i.e sometime in the distant future, if at all)?

This discussion has been closed.