Debug chaos

Since last update i'm facing very strange debugging errors using Xamarin Studio.

First of all, whenever I set a breakpoint in the ide it stops in the breakpoint but with a nullreferenceexception, even when the breakpoint is set on a curly bracket of a function.

If I use System.Diagnostics.Debugger.Breakpoint() it works and then I can set in the class where the breakpoint is more breakpoints without crashes (sometimes).

And also, when deploying an app to device in debug mode sometimes the last code I have added is not debuggable and it does not execute, like if it weren't uploaded.

I have tried to enable/disable fast deploy and mono shared runtime without changes, and fully reinstalled Xamarin Android and Xamarin Studio.

Any ideas? It's very frustrating to not be able to debug...

• Sam.3816Sam.3816 USMember ✭✭

Ah Thank god someone else is having issues. I have been pulling my hair out since yesterday, My app was working fine and then all of a sudden its crashing all over the place when debugging, it runs very stable under release but as soon as I debug I get null reference exceptions and other weird happenings.

If I reboot the device (nexus 7 with lollipop 5.02) then I get one good run at it before it crashes, or if I build to release and then rebuild to debug it sometimes works. I actually lost a days work because of this trying to work out what the hell was going on.

I have tried all the above as well but to no avail, so I am developing blind for the time being.

PS. I have tried beta and stable release.

Anyone ?

• AgustinGimenezAgustinGimenez ESMember ✭✭

Another finding.

If I use a System.Threading.Timer in debug it crashes with a nullreferenceexception on the constructor, but if before using it I add a System.Diagnostics.Debugger.Break() just before it and step over the constructor it works...

Is anyone at Xamarin aware of this issue ? as it seemed to coincide with the release on Tuesday. My code worked fine for debugging in the morning and then in the afternoon after very little changes this started happening. As stated above all is well in release but as soon as I debug I can get null reference on the most basic of syntax.

• AzamatDAzamatD RUMember

I have such problem, when I try to debbug any app on physical device, application will be close without error, but on realse everything is allright

• AdeMolajo.9118AdeMolajo.9118 GBMember ✭✭

I am experiencing similar issues. Is there any way to escalate this?

• DaveVronayDaveVronay USMember

I am experiencing this as well. Any ideas?

Damn it, thought this would be fixed with latest update but first run of debug and I am getting null reference straight away.

Please can we have a fix for this.

• AzamatDAzamatD RUMember

Update isn't solve this problem?

Any news on this?

Just a heads up, I have switched development to an lg gpad running kitkat 4.4 and the issue has completely disappeared. This is not a solution as we need it to work under lollipop 5.02 as we are developing a kiosk app using the nexus 7 and nexus 9 however I thought this may help determine what the issue may be.

It fits with my problems as I am debugging in a Nexus 7 with Lollipop 5.0.2

• MikhailMelnikMikhailMelnik AUMember ✭✭

Having same issue after Xamarin update I've installed today.

• JeremyKolbJeremyKolb USMember ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015

File a bug with bugzilla.xamarin.com so that the developers know about the issue.

• Paul_LemanPaul_Leman FRMember, University
    edited April 2015

i'm facing the same issue.

Ok I have submitted the bug on bugzilla, reference 28919 please feel free to add anything.

• NoelSebbey.2290NoelSebbey.2290 USMember

I recently restarted working on a project using Xamarin and I've found that the debugger is not hitting the breakpoints. I am using Xamarin.Forms PCL with Android simulator as the debugger. Also set shared runtime to false and updated Xamarin to the latest Alpha version. So has this issue been fixed?

• NoelSebbey.2290NoelSebbey.2290 USMember

Lol nvm, should have read OP. System.Diagnostics.Debugger.Breakpoint() helps at this point!

• mr-incrediblemr-incredible USMember

This issue has still not been fixed. I am running into the same thing using Xamarin Studio on Windows 8.1 debugging an Android Casio device. It does NOT appear to be an issue (yet) with the Mac version

• mr-incrediblemr-incredible USMember

This finally appears to work for me on Windows 8.1, Xamarin Studio:

In Project Options -> Android Build
    enable: fast deploy and mono shared runtime
    disable: Embed Assemblies in native code

NOTE: there are some bugs that may be related: 30318

• john82john82 ITMember ✭✭✭

I'm having the same issue. Seems related to this ?
    https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/process_bug.cgi

Anyone solved the issue? I'm using Visual Studio 2013 with Xamarin 3.11.666
    I'm unable to debug Xamarin.Android libraries :(

• JeremyKolbJeremyKolb USMember ✭✭✭

@john82 you missed the bug number. What is it?

You're right, here we are
    https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14287

just to know, are you able to debug NON pcl Android libraries projects with Xamarin 3.11.666?

Downgrading to previous version, works but now i'm unable to debug PCL Libraries :(