Do automatic updates work when the app is running 24/7?

I am trying to use Google Play's private channel to automatically update our app one some tablets we are going to lease out.. Yesterday I updated the app in Google Play but the automatic update isn't rolling out.

I haven't changed any of the permissions so I was wondering does anyone know if automatic update works when the app is running? Or does the user have to close the app before the update is installed?

I can see the logic in the later but if that is the case then we are going to have issues! We need to have our app running 24/7 and be able to push out updates if we need to.

Cheers,
Le-roy

• TomOpgenorthTomOpgenorth CAXamarin Team Xamurai

I'm not 100% sure on this - going from my memory here. IIRC I have had running applications on my Android device updated by Google Play. I do believe that I had to restart the application.

• Le-royStaines.7824Le-royStaines.7824 NZMember ✭✭✭

Yeah. And I noticed Google play have just put a lock on applications that update themselves automatically without using the google play update mechanism.

Although I could put it on a web server and handle the whole process myself but I don't really want to do that!

• TeHaTeHa DEMember ✭✭✭

They not only have a look at such apps, they forbit such apps as you can read here